Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
TheBish

Post by TheBish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 pm

I am interested in this plan and would sign up if/when available. The idea of rewarding loyal customers is a great one and there should be more of it.

In regards to the fear of excessive torrenting and leeching this plan could actually help lessen the impact to non torrent users.
Most torrents go much faster during peak hours (due to overseas people seeding at night and time zone differences)
Assuming most residential users work during the day and use their Internet at night, this would mean that torrent users would actually do most of their downloading during the day, while we are all at work, thus freeing up bandwidth at night when non torrent users would like max speeds.
Yes I am aware off peak does not start until 2am, however with the generous downloads provided by Exetel, most torrents are resumed at around 7pm so as to get the most out of their peak/off peak quotas and the faster downloads

Fixed fee systems are all the rage for business now. A reliable steady stream of income is much preferred over chunky cash flow.
Everything from full hosted Data Center Server systems to Microsofts new licencing system of paying a monthly fee for apps such as MS Office over Terminal Services, where you only pay a monthly fee depending on how many user licenses you used that month.
Much more attractive to consumers than forking out $500 for an OEM office, then having to pay it all over again for a new staff member or if a PC dies.

Either way I like it. Reward loyalty

markwfrancis

Post by markwfrancis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm

I am definitely interested. By invitation only to selected customers would allow Exetel to avoid a rush of bandwidth sucking new customers. I would like to know what "fair usage" policy would apply to these plans.

Padmay

Post by Padmay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

I have been with exetel for around 4 years and I would love unlimited download. I think they have the best plans anyway. there arent many companys out there that come close. So I would be one of the first to take up the unlimited for sure.

Padmay

Post by Padmay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:14 pm

all there new plans are back to 12.am to 12pm now as far as I know so you have the full 12 hours of offpeak.

jabez

Post by jabez » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm a loyal customer - based on the fact that I received the email. The reality for me is that I don't have a need for unlimited - until we start getting access to something like HULU; so I'll stay on my current plan +$5.00.
But good on Exetel for continually trying to improve things (although I sometimes struggle to see their logic).http://forum.exetel.com.au/posting.php? ... =4&t=35539#

crusader

Post by crusader » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:30 pm

In principle this sounds great & I applaud Exetel for trying to stay up with / ahead of the general market (I know a couple have started offering a variant of unlimited) & for rewarding loyal customers (by these critieria I am not one of them yet unfortunately).

Personally however I would rather be confident that acceptable headroom / capacity is maintained in the network and that a reliably fast service is available for all, than to save a few dollars per month, or to not have the option of paying for more data allowance if I need it (with the assumption that it will still be a fast service / not struggling under over use).

Wth full respect to everyone who has commented in this forum, discussing how much data you personally consider to be appropriate / required is besides the point, and even a little pointless in my opinion (sorry that may be a little harsh given Exetel did ask for comments afterall). What I am driving at is that we all have different needs / uses / circumstances & will act differently even under the same conditions. Exetel needs to consider the best strategy to service the needs of all its users and stay in business at the same time - ie. make a profit. Bear in mind that the conditions that Exetel operates under are not the same as those in Sth Korea / Taiwan etc. so this isn't apples & apples we're talking here.

So bearing that in mind, I would rather see something akin to the following:

- Give "loyal" users only the option of a high quota plan that is essentially unlimited compared to the current market. This makes the assumption that somewhere we draw the line (say, 500 Gb) and beyond that a user is considered to be a drain on the company, network, and experience of other users. The price for this plan would reflect a worst case analysis of where Exetel doesn't lose money @ 500 GB usage ... all the while knowing most wouldn't go that far and are buying the luxury of effectively not thinking about qoutas. Obvioulsy I would allow a warning / notification system so you're not kicking someone off for one infringement of say 25 Gb. These are "loyal" users we're talking about afterall, and you are only really wanting to weed out those that don't use the system in the spirit it is offered.

- I would give long terms customers who have had to move premises an avenue for being considered "loyal". I'm not one of them, but it only seems fair, particularly if they had to pay for line provisioning every time.

- Perhaps the idea of unlimited during certain hours has some merit instead?

Exetel already provides great value and great service as far as I am concerned and I plan on staying. In the end I won't change provider over a $5 difference if I am happy with a service, but I will move if I feel the access becomes unaccetpably degraded by over-saturation due to a hasty implementation of an unlimited plan. Those users who are not eligible or who choose to say on limited plans deserve more respect than this.

We have all seen what happens when the free off-peak period kick in on the 28th and the torrent clients all kick in en masse ... (no criticism, I'm one of them). I would hate for that to be something we experience more regularly.

Oh ... and give me Naked please ... I'm not paying line rental again :-)

Adios amigos

Thera

Post by Thera » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:38 pm

whilst it sounds great, I am sure that with my usage at times unlimited might be a nice option, though at the expense of another 12 month contract I am afraid that it would be a case of "sorry". I can swap to a new provider and be on contract for 12 months with apparent "unlimited" plans. Like other's I have been around for at least 4 years though I recall it being closer to 5 or 6. The latest run of "Increases" due to operational costs have had me considering moving anyway.
Exetel Email on the 03 March 2010 wrote: As a long term Exetel customer who has stayed with us beyond the end date of your initial contract we are grateful to you for your support of Exetel and therefore we hope you understand that we wouldn't be increasing the price of your current plan if it wasn't absolutely necessary. As you probably know your plan has not been offered by Exetel for some considerable time now and its particular characteristics and the 'average' users monthly usage mean that Exetel lose money on providing you with this particular service each month.

We have been quite prepared to do this over the past three years by leaving any plan we offered in place as we introduced new plans to meet the actualities of our buy price and operating cost changes but we now find ourselves in the position where we are providing almost 50,000 customers with services that cost us more than the user pays for them. We hope you appreciate that losing money on providing a service to such a large percentage of our ADSL customers is something that is very dangerous for us to do.

This email is to advise you that your current plan will increase by $5.00 from 12.00 am on 1st April 2010 (and no this is not an April Fool's day "joke") if you decide you want to stay with Exetel as your ISP and you want to stay on your current plan.
With the fact that I am on an adsl1 8mb plan, with download limits @ peak of 12 gb I cannot fathom why you would send me an email that says my costs are to go up, and then follow it with another email telling me that due to being loyal(Yes I saw that in the quoted email part as well) I may get unlimited plans? I am guessing that the adsl2 unlimited plan must have lower Overheads, then the current plan I am on which costs more than what the "Loyalty Plan" potentially will, before the extra $5.

Sure it sounds like a great thing, and it may even have me consider staying, but not at the expense of a new contract.
Games Administrator, eXeTeL Gaming Community.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Thera wrote:I am guessing that the adsl2 unlimited plan must have lower Overheads, then the current plan I am on which costs more than what the "Loyalty Plan" potentially will, before the extra $5.
ADSL2 plans are far lower in cost, Telstra charge ridiculous pricing for the 8k/384 port unfortunately, it's the least cost effective of all the solutions

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:00 pm

In theory a $75 "Unlimited" plan is a good idea. Exetel had Unlimited plans in the past in 2004/2005. They did not end well.

The problem is that if you treat an "Unlimited" plan as an Unlimited plan you have a chance of becoming Persona non grata here, an unwanted customer.

There are a lot of video streaming sites now, if I was to move to one of these plans I would want it to be clear that I can just stream these for hours every night. I have access to the password of my friends Foxtel download service which he does not use. ABC iView as well plus many others.

I would like to treat it like Pay TV. They are high bandwidth, 1MBit+ I see monthly usage getting into the hundreds of gigabytes.

Do you want that sort of usage on those plans? If not that is fine, we just need to know.

nickxau

Post by nickxau » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Is this Exetel's counter attack to TPG's recent unlimited speculation? It's own speculation! :lol:

I was always taught that if something sounds too good to be true... then it probably IS. So what's the catch? Where's the fine print? T's & C's?

Without seeing anything else, judging by just the simple speculation, it sounds good. Means I don't have to monitor my usage everyday. Good tactic for Exetel to lure new customers to become loyal customers.

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:08 pm

Like the idea, I have always had a high download allowance with Exetel and have only gone over my allowance once in 6 years. Currently have a 50cent per GB over allowance and that is probably enough however I do have in the back of my mind being charged 150 per GB (with another provider) so the idea of not having to concern myself at all is comforting. The mentioned price point is $5 less than what I pay now so if offered to me I would probably take it but it is no biggy. Very happy Exetel customer for a lot of years now and will probably remain so.

Varun

Post by Varun » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:09 pm

On an average, I use up roughly 25% of my quota.
But unlimited internet is most welcome,
Cheers,

Soliah

Post by Soliah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:10 pm

I'd much prefer a loyalty discount on the monthly access rather than an unlimited plan for long time customers.

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Varun wrote:On an average, I use up roughly 25% of my quota.
But unlimited internet is most welcome,
Cheers,
yes, we exetel users are indeed discerning customers...

hogey74

Post by hogey74 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 pm

HI there,

Thanks for the email - I like these occasional messages. They are reasonably written and I reckon you could maybe expand them to a monthly newsletter with some aussie/world internet news and exetel comment along with ideas/plans for comment like this one. Reading the latest whirlpool survey shows that Exetel customers are amongst the most tech savvy - maybe you guys can make use of the collective knowledge/skills/abilities of your customer base?

I am also on a clothing optional plan and as goodtimes said above, I see no mention of this, unless BYO phoneline was meant to include us? I am one of optus's biggest critics so having any commercial relationship with those losers is not attractive to me. We signed up for "all you can eat" optus cable in 2000 for $80 a month but within a few months they put us all on 4 gigs limit even though we were contracted to unlimited. It concerns me that Exetel would have anything to do with Singtel. Also, unlimited is pointless if in reality we are talking about the same waterfall but with more people drinking more water out of it. If however it is a move to a more US style broadband offering (don't tell a yank that we have download limits - its not worth it) with reasonable bandwidth infrastructure backing it up, then I will take notice.

In other news, while I am not the biggest bit-torrent monster, emerging bandwidth hogs like ABCs iview and youtube HD are of interest to me. I would like to see unmetered use of these before unlimited and I would like to see the kinds of QoS facilities I can apply via my router available for these services. I only get 5Mbit at my place due to phone line issues but at times currently I can't even sustain the 1.2 mbit required to make iview run properly!

thanks john