Off Peak Period Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
flak

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by flak » Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Ravenous wrote:Anything I have no other choice but to 'manually' download that is of 'Bulk' (e.g. Steam Games)
Have you considered using a program such as Netlimiter which allows you to throttle individual applications? Set steam to use 5kb/s during peak, and unlimited during off-peak. This way you can start the download during peak and download a negligible amount until off-peak kicks in.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed May 05, 2010 12:59 pm

flak wrote:Have you considered using a program such as Netlimiter which allows you to throttle individual applications?
No. Could you give further detail or a link? It would be most helpful! Post it up or PM me if you wish.

Thank you.

john.d

Post by john.d » Wed May 05, 2010 1:06 pm

This is by far the worst change exetel has made so far.

The only reason why I signed up to exetel (and I am sure alot of your customers) is cos you have
-12 hour off peak
-and large off peak download limit

Cutting the hours to by 50% is not acceptable to me.
This pretty much writes off reason 1 for joining.
And in doing so also writes off reason 2, cos you won't be able to download as much. Especially ppl on adsl1 plans.

This also has an effect of causing us to download more of our peak allowance which is quite measly.
Since peak is now 18hours, i can see myself running out of peak quota alot more quicker now.

I would much prefer u remove the unlimited plans and return it to the old uncharged x3 average which was about 85-89gb.

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Wed May 05, 2010 1:08 pm

I already have HSPA WI A (no contract) for backup. Do I just cancel it and apply for the new plan in user facilities? That seems easiest for both Exetel and me.

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Wed May 05, 2010 1:08 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I actually asked what a 'reasonable' amount of down load was from 8 am to 12 noon was?

This is a hard question to give a definitive answer to as some days it would be very little other days it would be large. Perhaps 1G to 4G would be sufficient to cover pretty much any of my needs.

kakan

Post by kakan » Wed May 05, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't use my computer at that time of the day. I think it is very unfair. Maybe I should look for another internet provider, as I joined this company because of their generous download times and amount you get each month. :evil: :evil:

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Ok first there was a $5 price rise if I recall correctly. Next we were stripped of our value added inclusions on the plans because of 'cost' reasons. Then we are hit with another $5 price rise this year. Then there was the abolishment of offpeak quotas. Lets just pretend to ignore the significant number of plan name and quota changes that happened in amongst this..

What I don't understand is why is it we are always hit with a price rise only to be in a couple of months offered increased quotas for the same or less price?? Then you offer unlimited off-peak (which I was also wary of) and the next month all of a sudden things have changed so quickly and you have to cut the times down to 2-8am. Like WTF is a good way of putting it!! It's as if this company is run by pre-school kids that can't even work out a business model and balance the books anymore than 1 month at a time...

I'm sorry but when I first joined here Exetel were by far cheaper than any other ISP I could find at the time. Now I'm finding that for the same money more-or-less I have multiple options for new ISPs I could move to. Given how greedy Exetel are getting these days, with crap support where you get to leave a recorded message, pretty average speeds as of late, being consistently routed to LAX (where I host and manage my VPS) over a shitty laggy link with something like bloody 20 hops, I dont see where there is any incentive for me not to change to a no provider.

Oh and I am also mega pissed off I just forked out $10 to change plans to get these 'unlimited' downloads (I'd be lucky to use 10-20GB in an average month during offpeak) then all of a sudden the terms and conditions are changed, how's that fair? If anything Optus act better than this, my parents ADSL plan with offpeak quotas and unmetered uploads etc have long been abolished by Optus yet they still allow them to happily continue along the plan with the same price and service conditions.

Oh and yes schedulers are great, but ever thought perhaps people might want to at the last mintue decide to download something in the morning on the weekend for exaple that they havent pre-planned/scheduled for???

Godde

Post by Godde » Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Question,
I have a HSDPA modem from 3 mobile (Huawei E220) which I occasionally use, can I use it on exetel's network?
Does it need to be unlocked or even a firmware upgrade?
Cheers

Bruce Evans

Post by Bruce Evans » Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Exetel has always been the cheapest ADSL service I could find, but that's no longer the case.
I've very easily found a cheaper company:
Spin Internet. They offer unlimited downloads from 2am to 9am at 1500bps for the same price, and they also include a free dial-up service, useful as a back-up service.
Yes, the on-peak download limit is 2GB less for the same price, but 2GB is precious little to a heavy downloader.
So Exetel will not be able to claim being the cheapest if they go ahead with this change.
No need to tell me to leave Exetel then. I'm already considering it!

chindson

Post by chindson » Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Can we please have a definitive answer from Exetel. Are you letting people out of their contracts given the huge change you are making to the value of the services you are offering?

Zhent

Post by Zhent » Wed May 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Can't help but be very disappointed by this, especially after the introduction of 'unlimited' plans.

I could of accepted a few hours change in the interests of helping Exetel through difficult times... but HALVING the off-peak time??

Since I don't have a very large peak quota this change in effect nearly halves my theoretical download quota. The free wireless service is useless to me so I am losing a significant chunk of value with this change.

The saddest thing of all is that now my new 'unlimited' plan won't be able to download more then my previous 'uncharged' 89GB offpeak plan. (I'm on 1.5Mbit)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 1:35 pm

chindson wrote:Can we please have a definitive answer from Exetel. Are you letting people out of their contracts given the huge change you are making to the value of the services you are offering?
It is actually a condition of the contract (Section 9)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 1:37 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
chindson wrote:Can we please have a definitive answer from Exetel. Are you letting people out of their contracts given the huge change you are making to the value of the services you are offering?
It is actually a condition of the contract (Section 9)
There is no change of value - unless you download an amount that cannot be accommodated in 180 hours a month.....very hard to actually do that.

manic77

Post by manic77 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 pm

hi Exetel,

please clarify something,

is the off-peak time reduction applies to UNLIMITED plans only or even the old plans?

for old plans, we guys still pay 0.50$/GB over the limit allowed. is it fair for us to reduce the off-peak hours?

thanks

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed May 05, 2010 1:43 pm

The answer will be almost certainly be no. The Acceptable Use Policy that every user agrees to comply with states Exetel are free to alter the off-peak period. See section 9. Semantics could be thrown about with the word "uncharged" however in my opinion Exetel have no requirement to release affected users from their contracts.