Off Peak Period Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
DougFiasco

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by DougFiasco » Wed May 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Yeah, it doesn't bother me too much except that I probably rely on not using up my current peak allowance as some of my regular usage falls into the off peak times.
I'm not a heavy user, and would happily just change plans...

Except there's the "Cost of Plan Change" of $10. I am out of contract, and had been considering to change plans simply for the the more generous peak allowance provided, though I don't really need it, so happy to save my "$10".

However with the change in off peak allowance times, I might need to change plans.

To me a better offer from Exetel would be to allow customers to change plans without charge, to accomodate their expected increase in "peak" usage.

I (and I'm sure many others) don't have much need for a wireless service, which doesn't really appear to be anything except no access charge??

I've been with Exetel for a number of years and almost completely happy with the service during that time. (I'm sure I've changed plans before, and there wasn't a charge??).
I hope I'm not naive in thinking part of this move isn't just to get people to pay $10 for a more appropriate service.... (read $1.2million boost....)

amyb

Post by amyb » Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm

I too am extremely disappointed about this! I've only been on my new 12 month contract for less than a week, and now they go and change the details of it! I chose this plan BECAUSE of the 12-12 peak/off peak period. If I was to change the terms of my contract I'd have to pay through the nose, but exetel can change the contract arrangements whenever they like. That really bites. :evil:

eandre

Post by eandre » Wed May 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Can you further explain the free wireless thinking as an offset to loss in "free" period. If it is an offset why were the words "transfer" ie opportunity to transfer to wireless. Should not an offset be a true offset and be "in additon to" and not a transfer???

I guess it is early day for you guys/gals as you think through the changes and offsets.

jubba

Post by jubba » Wed May 05, 2010 5:45 pm

As was mentioned previously exetel reserve the right to change offpeak times. Though it does appear somewhat deceptive/unfair to change contracts so soon after announcing new plans, as i'm sure some people would have elected to choose different plans if they had known this earlier.

Nonetheless, i feel that download periods have been too generous. I think 6hrs is plenty of time to do your downloading. Yes like others i found it convenient to set things to download after i woke up but really its no major issue. (well i'm not a big downloader anyways)
Plus for me anyway the congestion during offpeak was not pleasant on weekends i much rather have congestion free time. Plus the wireless option seems great so, I've been wanting something like that. Will have to look into the details. But overall, i'm pretty happy with the changes.

Rex Nebular

Post by Rex Nebular » Wed May 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Not really sure how $17.50/GB for wireless can make up for 6 hours offpeak gone. It would be cheaper for me to just buy more peak/offpeak data since it's only $0.50/GB.

DougFiasco

Post by DougFiasco » Wed May 05, 2010 5:59 pm

I agree with Jubba, and I'm sure many customers would too.

I'd rather a more realistic "offpeak" time so that on the weekends, when I want to use the net I can get a reliable service. I think the changes are great, but it does seriously smell of a bait and switch.

I appreciate that Exetel might reserve the right to change the plans at any time, but for each plan change, customers should be allowed a "free" change to adjust accordingly.

I have no problem paying a change of plan fee if I made a mistake and chose the wrong plan, or if my use patterns change.

Well, that's all from me.

Cexitime

Post by Cexitime » Wed May 05, 2010 6:06 pm

I think alot of people would of been happy if Exetel didn't introduce the extra $5/month increase on old plans

I was happy on 12GB peak and 54GB off peak, But when I'm expected to pay plan price +$3 admin + $5 for something, which brought the value of that old plan to $3 less than the unlimited plan.

So I switched over, which sounds like what alot of other people did, as it was better value, and now the value has been reduced drastically. Why did you bother charging those on older plans more, then give them the option of going unlimited, and now realising you've made a mistake??
Last edited by Cexitime on Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azza117

Post by Azza117 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 pm

this change is very disappointing and i really hope you guys decide just to change it back or something because atm this will cause me to run out of peak quota really quickly because i do night shifts for work and only usually use the net from about 10am and 5pm and im currently on the 2 till 2 option and also the 2 till 2 option works well with my kids in the holidays because they mostly use it in the morning and then do other things in the afternoon.

im assuming that this change applies to all users even if there already on the 2 till 2 option ?

if you go ahead with this i might have to considering changing service providers.. sorry..

Douglas

Post by Douglas » Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 pm

I have been plugging your Company for some time and now you have let me down! Unfortunately I believe that you have overstepped the mark. I dont believe its tuff time as you offer another service to tease us! My search now begins to find another ISP with time and deals I like. Just ask DODO what happened to them when they changed like this!! NOT HAPPY JAN. No more recomendations from me. And yes you did sucker me into changing contrats too. Thanks for the link Hard Logic as we all need to go there and complain.
Last edited by Douglas on Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rndnz

Post by rndnz » Wed May 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Very Very Very Disappointing !

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have been a exetel customer for over 5 years. Hope you guys rethink about your business strategy, exetel should not == TPG.

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Rex Nebular wrote:Not really sure how $17.50/GB for wireless can make up for 6 hours offpeak gone. It would be cheaper for me to just buy more peak/offpeak data since it's only $0.50/GB.
Remember though, the wireless is not offered as a suppliment to help make the increased peak periods easier to swallow. This wireless service is offered to totally replace your ADSL, albeit at greater cost.

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Wed May 05, 2010 6:39 pm

I would like to register my disappointment at this change.

I recently switched to an 8mb ADSL1 plan, with 50/50 quota. On the one hand, I am disappointed I will be less likely to use my off peak quota. On the other hand, were I still on my old 12/60 plan, this change would be intolerable. With 50gb peak quota, I can cope with this change.

I respond to ForumAdmin's earlier post in this thread, about the value of the plan having changed. ForumAdmin said it has not, unless you find it difficult to download bulk amounts in the off-peak time. I disagree, as this hypothesis relies on the idea that value is attached to maximum download all the time. The 12/12hour peak/off peak allowed users to distribute and shuffle their downloading - and was an excellent feature upon which I recommended Exetel many times.

Others have made fair comments about how often changes occur. Having just transferred to an 8mb plan at $90/month, I would have appreciated the chance to see out my 6 month contract on the initial terms. I understand I'm not entitled to this, just saying it would have been nice.

The email I received said $1.75 per mb for the wireless plan. This is worse than Telstra's excess charge! It appears to have been corrected in this thread, but a re-email would be advisable I think if it is indeed the incorrect figure.

sparkles

Post by sparkles » Wed May 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Sorry forum admin- but a wireless doodad does me no good as wireless does not work in my area- it was only intermittent when I did try it.

very sorry that you have had to do this- don't really mind the change in off peak quota but the time of 2am to 8am is not something that is useful as the downloads that are made are not part and parcel of something that can be scheduled.

Therefore as may others have said it has literally increased the peak limit and effectively limited the amount that can be done in the time frame you have given us.

Yes I am not happy as I changed plans only recently because of another overhaul and the plan I chose was the one that was best for me and the one that I could afford.

to enable more download quota is a cost that I can not justify especially with mortgages just going up again.

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed May 05, 2010 7:02 pm

I also think the assumption appears to be that "offpeak" is only used by people who want to download, hence the *simple* solution is to just schedule your downloads.

I have very few "downloads" that consume my quota, most of my usage is actualy content that is sent/received in real time (gaming, streaming, remote access etc) and is not something that can be scheduled or have time constraints set around it. If people are downloading too much then just reduce the amount they are allowed to download and that way you target the specific people you have the issue with.

On the point made by a post earlier, the offpeak is not listed as a "bonus" in any of the current plans. Maybe at one point it was, but the plans have had peak and offpeak clearly stated as an actual part of the plan offering, so saying that a change in offpeak isn't something to complain about is wrong.

I also don't understand why the "free switch" option is being offered anymore when plan changes like this are announced. Exetel used to give us a chance to change plans at no cost to something more suitable. Having to pay a change fee to switch to a plan that I also pay more for, and be stuck on a new contract that can (and probably will) change at any time to something completely different, this is logic that I am completely unable to grasp.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

PM

Post by PM » Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 pm

I don’t understand the Linton/Waddington business plan for Exetel.
Exetel have gone out of their way to attract the heavy downloaders/leechers. But in the end everyone suffers. I consider myself a low to medium downloader. ~15-25GB/month. Surely the VAST majority of internet users are in the low to medium user category. Say from a few hundred MB’s per month to 20-30GB. Why hasn’t Exetel’s business plan targeted this group? This type of user base is virtually unlimited.

Instead Exetel has almost gone out of its way to attract the tiny (but very vocal) high user base and along with it a lot of downloaders that go out of their way to squeeze practically every last KB of their “entitlement”.
The rest of us have been effectively screwed over with variable speeds and inflated plan prices, and this latest tweak of the off peak time.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I have to cancel my ADSL 8192 service at the end of May due to selling and moving to “no fixed abode” for at least a couple of months.

I’ll keep my interest in Exetel through my Optus/Exetel wireless service.
I only hope when I’m again in a position to re-join Exetel ADSL, us low/medium users are better catered for?
Last edited by PM on Wed May 05, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.