Off Peak Period Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Ravenous

Plans at a Glance

Post by Ravenous » Wed May 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Plans at a glance!

Last edited by Ravenous on Wed May 05, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bulletmark

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by bulletmark » Wed May 05, 2010 7:41 pm

PM wrote:Surely the VAST majority of internet users are in the low to medium user category. Say from a few hundred MB’s per month to 20-30GB. Why hasn’t Exetel’s business plan targeted this group? This type of user base is virtually unlimited.
I posted a similar comment a few days ago. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 13#p274640. Essentially I am annoyed that Exetel have heavily courted heavy users and now find their network is overloaded. This off-peak time change will improve things, but fundamental under-capacity problems will remain. I'd cop a termination fee to get away from my contract except that I ported my pstn number to naked and that makes it damn hard.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 7:25 am

chindson wrote:I've emailed off to residential support to see what they respond with, I have the TIO website set in favourites waiting for their response. I've supplied them with about 10 really good (low usage) customers aswell I'll take my business and their business else where.

I have no problem with them changing their peak usage times, I just want the "free" choice to beable to move on.
You always have that choice.

If you believe that having read the contract you entered in to that specifically addresses the ability for Exetel to make any change to the off peak period (which it has done over a dozen times over the past six years),that it is unreasonable for Exetel to exercise a contractual right it specifically set out then you should find another provider that better meets your requirements.

Don't post libellous, or just plain incorrect, claims here - it does nothing to assist you or anyone else progress your situation.

We have sent out a follow up email providing more information than you have, apparently, been able to acquire regarding the contractual terms and conditions of your situation:

Change To Off Peak Period On June 1st 2010

Dear [ ],

We sent you an email yesterday advising you of the forthcoming change to the off peak period. Exetel has offered a ‘free’ off peak period since 1st March 2004 and has included in its Acceptable Use policy since that time the specific right to change the period and amount of downloads within that period since that time. Over the succeeding six plus years Exetel has varied both the time and the inclusions of that period some 10+ times, often extending it but almost equally often reducing it as times and circumstances dictate is required.

It is a specific and clearly set out condition of Exetel’s Acceptable use policy and is part of the contract in to which every person who applies for an Exetel ADSL service specifically agrees to. If an applicant for any Exetel ADSL service does not agree to it then we do not accept their application.

“Legally” there is absolutely no doubt that Exetel has the right to exercise the option of changing the ‘free download period’ or, in fact, removing it completely at any time.

Equally obviously no commercial company wants to retain any customer who is not happy with the services that Exetel provides.

We will therefore delay any change to the introduction to the off peak period for all customers who are within their initial contract period until their contract period ends.

We will also delay any change in the off peak period for all customers who are out of contract until September 1st to allow more time for them to look for a more suitable provider of ADSL services.

Please don’t call to further clarify this email. Should you be unhappy with what is set out above please address an email to:

complaints@exetel.com.au

John Linton
(for Exetel Pty Ltd)

We wish you every success in finding a new ISP that better meets your needs than Exetel has been able to do and apologise for any inconvenience you, and anyone else, may have been caused..

jubba

Post by jubba » Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 am

is the wireless offer still on.
I think it would still be nice if we can choose to move to shorter offpeak and get the wireless.

chindson

Post by chindson » Thu May 06, 2010 8:22 am

Don't post libellous, or just plain incorrect, claims here
I'm going to be nice and assume that wasn't directed at me as none of my posts contain incorrect or libellous information or statements.

I'm glad to see that some sense has prevailed. May I suggest that if you want to increase the peak usage times that you do it in smaller bites. You will find that most people would have accepted that peak usage is increased by 1-2 hrs and then in a few months time you could try it again. By making such a drastic change to the conditions of the plans especially after enticing so many out of contract customers back into contracts, (doesn't matter whether its in your T&Cs) you've created some ill will.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » Thu May 06, 2010 8:27 am

Okay, so you're offering people with an expired initial contract date the freedom to churn away within four months, and you're offering people within their initial contract the entire 12 months of their contract with no change to their offpeak usage.

Now my question is where do all ADSL members that signed up for the 8MB earlier this month? My service details tell me that my initial contract date expired two years ago, so I would assume that I am free to jump ship. However when I signed up for the 8MB, I had the understanding I was locked in for 12 months.
Last edited by ~vjay~ on Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

blanes

Post by blanes » Thu May 06, 2010 8:30 am

The cut in off peak hours by 50% has obviously been a huge shock and upset alot of people, especially those who only just changed plans. Apparently its a business decision that was necessary, maybe the timing and delivery could have been better ? :?

But it's a huge over-reaction, and frankly sounds a little hysterical, to be on here making threats about TIO and ACCC. Exetel are clearly within their rights as a business to modify these things and we as users DID agree to it when signing up. I strongly believe it is counter-productive to make threats on a forum re TIO/ACCC rather than speaking to complaints or provisioning at Exetel first. The grass always looks greener on the other side !

I believe Exetel have been an excellent ISP and the service is absolutely great, 2nd to none in my experience. I for one intend to stick with them even though I would much rather have my downloads capped and keep the 12hrs off-peak.

It would pay to keep a cool head and think about things before getting too carried away because Exetel have so far been extremely fair to their customers and maybe there is alot more behind the reasoning that precipitated this change. Lets wait a bit and see what happens ! :wink:

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 am

Dear Exetel
Want about those of us that are not in our initial contract period but started new contracts in april when the unlimited 8meg plans were released ?

Thank you,
Scott

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 8:44 am

scottb721 wrote:Dear Exetel
Want about those of us that are not in our initial contract period but started new contracts in april when the unlimited 8meg plans were released ?

Thank you,
Scott
There is no difference between a 'new' contract and a 'renewed' contract.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 8:51 am

jubba wrote:is the wireless offer still on.
I think it would still be nice if we can choose to move to shorter offpeak and get the wireless.
No - it wouldn't be sensible to add a benefit that was a trade off having withdrawn the trade off.

In these constantly changing times we will have to come up with something else to address the changing times.

adamdmills

Post by adamdmills » Thu May 06, 2010 9:09 am

bulletmark wrote:ForumAdmin - are you going to sit there all day and delete dissenting posts within a few secs? Even mild posts like mine? You are going to be busy pal.
Mine too?

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 am

Was the email sent it to all the users? i never recieve it. I definately go somewhere else when my contract finish. I never trust Exetel from the time they removed the free sms,fax and free voip call. If it too good to be true, then its not.Also dont forget during off peak their speed is hopeless, they throttle it so that is how Exetel can afford to offer unlimited plan, and now with this offpeak time frame cut to half there is no way you can even use up 60Gb as that is my offpeak allowance. So why do you feeding your hard earn cash to Exetel? You are just paying more for less. At the moment TPG and Internode are looking better by the day to switch over.

patient

Post by patient » Thu May 06, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Forum Admin

Will those who received the original email notifying of the changes also receive this new email notifying us of the delay in implementation? I have not (so far this morning) received this additional email. i hope i am not jumping the gun here, if so apologies!

I am half hoping that some of these changes wont eventuate given the strong tendency for more changes to occur between now and newly stated timelines. However just in case, could i sign up today with a new contract to lock in the the current off peak duration for another 12 months or too late to do so :)

also could you consider some modifications as well as though already suggested eg picking a 6 hour slot eg 12-6 or 4 - 10 (maybe also a 6am to 12 noon). i love to watch iview and happy to do so anywhere up to 12 noon OR
-could you consider some non metered content such as this as i believe this type of thing (TV streaming) is becoming more common. OR
-consider giving people the option of choosing between 12 hours off peak (which was the main attraction for me as well as your great prices) OR the cheap wireless as the other forum http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=45 (last page) strongly suggests a relationship between these two options

--
-Could you consider a moratorium on changes for say 6 months? And maybe try to save up the changes to a twice a year. It is great you are responsive to changing market conditions but exasperating/confusing for your customers (I realise it is not your intention to confuse but that is how we feel - and stronger for some!). Flexibility and adaptability is great but consistency is deeply appreciated too :) I know you believe you are consistently the best value and you probably still are but that is big picture and on a smaller scale lots of small changes naturally lead to customer frustration - we all hate change even if change is good for us.

regards
Last edited by patient on Thu May 06, 2010 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Thu May 06, 2010 9:13 am

Would a 'change of plan' from existing customers who are out of contract between now and September 1st change the off-peak to the new 2am - 8am?

P.S. I find four months to be a... very... long... time... for Exetel and the general industry. There is always another development or drama just around the corner. I follow with much interest. Much could change. Advice to all is to be proactive and constructive.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 am

~vjay~ wrote:Okay, so you're offering people with an expired initial contract date the freedom to churn away within four months, and you're offering people within their initial contract the entire 12 months of their contract with no change to their offpeak usage.

Now my question is where do all ADSL members that signed up for the 8MB earlier this month? My service details tell me that my initial contract date expired two years ago, so I would assume that I am free to jump ship. However when I signed up for the 8MB, I had the understanding I was locked in for 12 months.
*Bump*

Could we get a definitive answer on this? A lot of us want to know. Thank you.

We also did not get any such email.