Off Peak Period Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 06, 2010 9:24 am

bulletmark wrote:ForumAdmin - are you going to sit there all day and delete dissenting posts within a few secs? Even mild posts like mine? You are going to be busy pal.
Exetel (and moderators like me) have the power to delete entire threads if we feel they are not adding value to this forum. There are currently a few threads which were created and retained that allowed users to vent their concerns. If they are informative, or offer suggestions, they definitely serve a purpose. If they are simply posts which threaten TIO or ACCC action, then they are vehement posts made out of emotion rather than any underlying understanding of the issues and deserve to get deleted.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

cher

Post by cher » Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 am

ForumAdmin wrote:These are increasingly difficult times and each day, it seems, presents yet another new 'challenge'.

We will change the off peak period from 1st June 2010:

from: the current 12 midnight to 12 noon or 2 am to 2 pm periods

to: 2 am to 8 am
Dear Forum Admin
I am on an old plan and haven't had 12-12 off peak for sometime since Exetel changed my off peak to 2-12noon. Am I included in the new change or not?
Cher

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am

Ravenous wrote:Would a 'change of plan' from existing customers who are out of contract between now and September 1st change the off-peak to the new 2am - 8am?

P.S. I find four months to be a... very... long... time... for Exetel and the general industry. There is always another development or drama just around the corner. I follow with much interest. Much could change. Advice to all is to be proactive and constructive.
As of now - there is no change to the current 12md - 12 noon 'off peak period' or the 2 am to 12 noon period (whichever applies to your current plan) and therefore any plan offered has that period.

IanS

Post by IanS » Thu May 06, 2010 9:32 am

I don’t know what all the ruckus is all about...

Last month I paid $40 for 6/60GB plan. Now I’m on a 10/unlimited. The extra 4GB peak will cover what I use from 8am to 2pm & if I do go berserk in the peak period & might have to pay any extra $1 or 2 – BIG DEAL – I’ll still be better off!

People will have to get use to higher prices... Electricity is going up on July 1, this will filter through all business sectors. I’m expecting another price change from Exetel & other suppliers of services & utilities that I purchase.

So people get ready to tighten your belts... the free lunch has just been reduced from 3 courses to 2

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 am

patient wrote:Hi Forum Admin

Will those who received the original email notifying of the changes also receive this new email notifying us of the delay in implementation? I have not (so far this morning) received this additional email. i hope i am not jumping the gun here, if so apologies!

I am half hoping that some of these changes wont eventuate given the strong tendency for more changes to occur between now and newly stated timelines. However just in case, could i sign up today with a new contract to lock in the the current off peak duration for another 12 months or too late to do so :)

also could you consider some modifications as well as though already suggested eg picking a 6 hour slot eg 12-6 or 4 - 10 (maybe also a 6am to 12 noon). i love to watch iview and happy to do so anywhere up to 12 noon OR
-could you consider some non metered content such as this as i believe this type of thing (TV streaming) is becoming more common. OR
-consider giving people the option of choosing between 12 hours off peak (which was the main attraction for me as well as your great prices) OR the cheap wireless as the other forum http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=45 (last page) strongly suggests a relationship between these two options

--
-Could you consider a moratorium on changes for say 6 months? And maybe try to save up the changes to a twice a year. It is great you are responsive to changing market conditions but exasperating/confusing for your customers (I realise it is not your intention to confuse but that is how we feel - and stronger for some!). Flexibility and adaptability is great but consistency is deeply appreciated too :) I know you believe you are consistently the best value and you probably still are but that is big picture and on a smaller scale lots of small changes naturally lead to customer frustration - we all hate change even if change is good for us.

regards

It takes a while to send 100,000 emails - I just received mine - yours will be 'on the way'.

It would be nice to think that, in this strange year, that changes could be made six monthly - it doesn't seem, at least to me, that is possible.

It now seems more difficult than ever to provide ADSL services to residential users.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

I'm starting to feel invisible. Third time now.

Are the people who upgraded to the new FP-D2 plan this month bound to a new 12 month policy and exempt from the offpeak change per the update, or are they free to churn without worrying about an early termination fee?

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Thu May 06, 2010 9:53 am

ForumAdmin wrote:It now seems more difficult than ever to provide ADSL services to residential users.

I hope this comment does not lead to you stopping your services to residential users.

I for one have been happy with exetel for almost 5 years. Whilst i was not happy with the changes suggested yesterday i also know that when the time was right exetel would reverse its decision and extend it when you could afford it. I have never lost faith that exetel genuinely try to offer the best value at all times. This can change from time to time which is why exetel keep changing plans.

was the change in off peak only to offset the wireless option or is there a genuine need to reduce the offpeak hours/downloads and the wireless was a sweetner. If the change was because you were trying to introduce a free wireless solution then perhaps your customer base are not that interested in the wireless solution if at the expense of the current off peak. If you need to reduce the offpeak for other reason ie its not sustainable at the current levels they why not just reduce it at a smaller scale ie 10 hours a day and if need be cap the limit to a more reasonable level. If these measures were to keep the off peak period for the full 12 hours im sure people would rather have a hard cap and keep 12 hours then have unlimited for few hours.

thanks for trying though.

BiiRO

Post by BiiRO » Thu May 06, 2010 10:00 am

Finally a rational decision.. I am now a lot more comfortable knowing my new contract will be honoured till it expires...

Dear [ ],

We sent you an email yesterday advising you of the forthcoming change to the off peak period. Exetel has offered a ‘free’ off peak period since 1st March 2004 and has included in its Acceptable Use policy since that time the specific right to change the period and amount of downloads within that period since that time. Over the succeeding six plus years Exetel has varied both the time and the inclusions of that period some 10+ times, often extending it but almost equally often reducing it as times and circumstances dictate is required.

It is a specific and clearly set out condition of Exetel’s Acceptable use policy and is part of the contract in to which every person who applies for an Exetel ADSL service specifically agrees to. If an applicant for any Exetel ADSL service does not agree to it then we do not accept their application.

“Legally” there is absolutely no doubt that Exetel has the right to exercise the option of changing the ‘free download period’ or, in fact, removing it completely at any time.

Equally obviously no commercial company wants to retain any customer who is not happy with the services that Exetel provides.

We will therefore delay any change to the introduction to the off peak period for all customers who are within their initial contract period until their contract period ends.

We will also delay any change in the off peak period for all customers who are out of contract until September 1st to allow more time for them to look for a more suitable provider of ADSL services.

Please don’t call to further clarify this email. Should you be unhappy with what is set out above please address an email to:

complaints@exetel.com.au

John Linton
(for Exetel Pty Ltd)

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu May 06, 2010 10:03 am

nihonjin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:It now seems more difficult than ever to provide ADSL services to residential users.

I hope this comment does not lead to you stopping your services to residential users.
The tone certainly sounds ominous, although the blogs have been alluding to this for a while.
But while there is likely too much personal stake in the business, it may just change its priorities and focus even more on business services.

Here's hoping all the fibre trials and NBN stuff can inject some renewed enthusiam.

patient

Post by patient » Thu May 06, 2010 10:06 am

nihonjin wrote:

I for one have been happy with exetel for almost 5 years. Whilst i was not happy with the changes suggested yesterday i also know that when the time was right exetel would reverse its decision and extend it when you could afford it. I have never lost faith that exetel genuinely try to offer the best value at all times. This can change from time to time which is why exetel keep changing plans.

was the change in off peak only to offset the wireless option or is there a genuine need to reduce the offpeak hours/downloads and the wireless was a sweetner. If the change was because you were trying to introduce a free wireless solution then perhaps your customer base are not that interested in the wireless solution if at the expense of the current off peak. If you need to reduce the offpeak for other reason ie its not sustainable at the current levels they why not just reduce it at a smaller scale ie 10 hours a day and if need be cap the limit to a more reasonable level. If these measures were to keep the off peak period for the full 12 hours im sure people would rather have a hard cap and keep 12 hours then have unlimited for few hours.

thanks for trying though.
i concur with nihonjin and hope you continue to provide services to residential. While i am not happy with the new changes i am happy with exetel and wish to stay. I am also hoping for a reversal somewhere down the track.

I was wondering if your strategy is to replicate tpg with off peak times and differentiate via wireless service? personally i would like u to differentiate with the duration of offpeak but i am sure you have done the research on what works best.

cheers and thanks for your reassurance re the email - i didnt realise it was that many!

tjioer

Post by tjioer » Thu May 06, 2010 10:07 am

My ADSL2 + home phone plan is currently $55 for 8GB/60GB. I would be perfectly happy to pay the $10 switch fee to the 10GB/Unlimited, however not with the proposed peak hour reduction.

A more rational decision is to upgrade the peak allowance to 15GB and get rid of the off peak allowance altogether. Why offer unlimited if you can't use it in such tiny period anyway?

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Thu May 06, 2010 10:12 am

vaneagle wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Replacing the 'lost' bonus download time Exetel ADSL users will be given the option of getting a 'free' wireless service:

Monthly Access Charge: $0.00

PAYU Downloads: 1.75 cents per mbyte

Modem if required: $50.00

Contract Length: 12 months

Current customers can transfer to this plan via the User Facilities from June 1st 2010

I have no issues with the changes as I am not a heavy user.

In relation to the wireless option, does this mean that I keep my adsl2 plan but get a wireless plan as well for free? Obviously pay for a modem of $50.

Which modem?

This would have been missed in the chaos from yesterday :mrgreen:

I like this idea. Which modem would we be getting for the $50 outlay?

Huawei E160e Modem (3.6/384) or;

Huawei E1762 Modem (7.2/384) ?

I believe the second modem is the better one.

majones

Post by majones » Thu May 06, 2010 10:19 am

Editing my own post, was hoping to switch to a new plan which I thought would initiate a new 12 month contract, which may have locked in the off-peak period.
I checked the members facilities and realised that the 12 month contract was only for the unlimited/unlimited plan.

Regards
Jonesy

vlvl

Post by vlvl » Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 am

Very disappointed about this decision. This was the key feature that made Exetel so attractive. As an Exetel light agent there is no longer any significant advantage to attract people away from choosing TPG. I won't be wasting any more of my time.
I will be doing my downloading during the late afternoon and evening peak periods as there is no more incentive to do it in the morning before 12 noon. 2 a.m. to 8 a.m. is just not practical for many reasons. For those that can manage this time it's a waste of electricity adding tonnes of CO2 running the computer all night long just for automated downloading and nothing else.
Free wireless access is definitely not an attractive substitute for this loss.
I would prefer an off-peak download limit change to say 30 GB if the unlimited option is being abused.
:(

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 10:28 am

cher wrote: Dear Forum Admin
I am on an old plan and haven't had 12-12 off peak for sometime since Exetel changed my off peak to 2-12noon. Am I included in the new change or not?
Cher
Your plan stays the way it is today.