Off Peak Period Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 am

~vjay~ wrote:I'm starting to feel invisible. Third time now.

Are the people who upgraded to the new FP-D2 plan this month bound to a new 12 month policy and exempt from the offpeak change per the update, or are they free to churn without worrying about an early termination fee?
Your question was answered.

The answer is now two fold:

1) There is no difference between a 'new' contract and a 'renewed' contract.
2) No in contract customer will be affected by the announced change.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 10:49 am

nihonjin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:It now seems more difficult than ever to provide ADSL services to residential users.

I hope this comment does not lead to you stopping your services to residential users.

I for one have been happy with exetel for almost 5 years. Whilst i was not happy with the changes suggested yesterday i also know that when the time was right exetel would reverse its decision and extend it when you could afford it. I have never lost faith that exetel genuinely try to offer the best value at all times. This can change from time to time which is why exetel keep changing plans.

was the change in off peak only to offset the wireless option or is there a genuine need to reduce the offpeak hours/downloads and the wireless was a sweetner. If the change was because you were trying to introduce a free wireless solution then perhaps your customer base are not that interested in the wireless solution if at the expense of the current off peak. If you need to reduce the offpeak for other reason ie its not sustainable at the current levels they why not just reduce it at a smaller scale ie 10 hours a day and if need be cap the limit to a more reasonable level. If these measures were to keep the off peak period for the full 12 hours im sure people would rather have a hard cap and keep 12 hours then have unlimited for few hours.

thanks for trying though.
We have been offering residential ADSL services for a little over 6 years and have steadily built our total number of ADSL customers each month for the whole of that time.

As you may appreciate there are many, mny different things happening in the ADSL marketplaces at the moment and there are likely to be many more in the coming months.

Exetel has always had a disproportionately large percentage of users in 'country' areas of Australia. Telstra Retail is currently carrying out yet another of its "welcome back" campaigns calling up/mailing/door knocking Exetel (and other ISP's ADSL1 customers) offering ADSL2 services at lower prices than they charge us for ADSL1 (without taking in to consideration the cost of back haul or IP data). This in only one, of many, instances where it makes it impossible for Exetel to compete effectively. Much as we really love our 'country' customers (and have put so much effort into growing a country agent base) it is becoming likely that it isn't in our current customers best interests to stay with us on ADSL1 when they can get ADSL2 from Testra at less monthly cost.

Perhaps we have achieved our initial major objective of making ADSL services available at the lowest prices in Australia - except, after six years, that objective is being achieved by Telstra who have a much wider coverage.

We have no plans to 'abandon' the ADSL marketplace but we do have to face the reality that in these 'saturated' times it may, at some future time, be necessary to re-think just what useful purpose Exetel serves in offering ADSL services.

We have never made any profit from providing ADSL services (and never intended to so that is not in the nature of a complaint) but we have always broken even - even that very, very low ambition may not be possible in the future.

HeathNet

Post by HeathNet » Thu May 06, 2010 10:52 am

I think everyone needs to calm down and start posting constructive suggestions so Exetel can consider them in future changes.
Let’s not just complain about the problem, lets suggest some solutions.

I for one am extremely disappointed with the off peak change, however, would be okay with the following:-

- Capped off-peak download (say 30gb) and shaped to slower speed if I go over, and retain off-peak times of 12am – 12pm, or 12am – 10pm or 2am – 12pm
- Or
- Keep your new change of off-peak download times to 2am – 8am, but as an incentive, increase peak period download limit (say an extra 10gb) and rather than shape speed when you go over, charge people 50c per 1Gb, (like on my current plan) that way you pay as you use.

When reading all of the responses on the forum it seemed like most people would be happy with something similar to what I have suggested above.
Are Exetel in a position to consider this if it keeps the majority of its customers happy???
Thanks

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 10:54 am

vaneagle wrote:

This would have been missed in the chaos from yesterday :mrgreen:

I like this idea. Which modem would we be getting for the $50 outlay?

Huawei E160e Modem (3.6/384) or;

Huawei E1762 Modem (7.2/384) ?

I believe the second modem is the better one.
$50.00 = E160E

We are trying to 'negotiate' a better buy price for the E1762

vampyre

Post by vampyre » Thu May 06, 2010 11:00 am

Another unhappy user here.
I originally signed up for something like 12GB/60GB, which was more than adequate for my needs. The cost and limits have moved about, so now I'm on 12GB/Unlimited.

On ADSL1, my peak downloads are already so slow that I need the whole window just to allow my downloads to complete. I don't download every night, and I don't really want to download multiple nights just to work around the new window. I can only download about 2-3GB in the 12 hours I have now, so it's not an unreasonable request.

I'd be much happier with a return to the old limits (even 40GB would be sufficient) but keep the off peak window the same. The unlimited option was nice, but not something I ever needed.

Any chance this could be an option?

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu May 06, 2010 11:00 am

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel has always had a disproportionately large percentage of users in 'country' areas of Australia. Telstra Retail is currently carrying out yet another of its "welcome back" campaigns calling up/mailing/door knocking Exetel (and other ISP's ADSL1 customers) offering ADSL2 services at lower prices than they charge us for ADSL1 (without taking in to consideration the cost of back haul or IP data). This in only one, of many, instances where it makes it impossible for Exetel to compete effectively. Much as we really love our 'country' customers (and have put so much effort into growing a country agent base) it is becoming likely that it isn't in our current customers best interests to stay with us on ADSL1 when they can get ADSL2 from Testra at less monthly cost.
I consider myself in the country (Toowoomba) but I have never been offered something by Telstra that comes close to the value I get from Exetel. Maybe it's because I am one of those heavy downloaders that nobody seems to like?

greesha

Post by greesha » Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 am

I would like to see the unlimited off peak to go away. I would propose "unlimited" anytime plans that are shaped for the fairness fo all users. Here is my suggestions for adsl 2 (with optus phone) plans. I have no idea on the cost modeling of an ISP only what plans i see in the market. The cost problem i see is by allowing all plans to download unlimited in off peak you get a cost/service disparity. I can pay $25 and dowload more than a person paying $65 if I am closer to the exchange. Get rid of unlimited off peak.

PAYG

$15 + 50c/GB (shaped 512k shaped at 250GB for user protection and network usage fairness)

20GB anytime
$25 + line rental (256k shaping)

55GB anytime
$35 + line rental (512k shaping)

100GB anytime
$45 + line rental (1mbps shaping)

135GB anytime (1mbps shaping)
$55 + line rental

180GB anytime (1mbps shaping)
$65 + line rental

$75 + line rental (truly unlimited anytime un shaped plan)

anybody got any counter proposals that would be fair pricing and fair for the network?

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu May 06, 2010 11:20 am

My proposal, just make off peak quota equal to peak quota for all plans. Or if being generous, 1.5 times peak quota. So for my 60GB plan I would get 90GB. For those leechers with 6GB plans would get 9GB off peak.

How fair is that?

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 am

Wow things did get heated up.
While I was disappointed with the first email from Exetel I knew there wasnt jack I could do about it and after having just signed a contract for another 12 months I felt I had been sucked in a bit.
I normally come and voice an opinion but also knew from previous experience that I wouldnt be alone in doing so. I thought I would just wait for a day and see how things pan out.
I must say I am extremely impressed with how Exetel has responded to what their customers had to say.
I completely understand about the contract I am bound to and that Exetel had every right to make changes as they see fit. I do believe this has been the right decision to hold off the changes though and has completely restored my confidence in Exetel.
I think most of us came to Extel because of the specific way the plans had been structured and to lose those things that were a benefit to us and bring Exetel more inline with other ISP's makes you rethink your options in that you could now get the same service elsewhere.
Thank you for listening to us and making a fantastic effort to keep your customers happy. :D

greesha

Post by greesha » Thu May 06, 2010 11:33 am

cdonges wrote:My proposal, just make off peak quota equal to peak quota for all plans. Or if being generous, 1.5 times peak quota. So for my 60GB plan I would get 90GB. For those leechers with 6GB plans would get 9GB off peak.

How fair is that?
I considered that as well but I think at best you should offer symetrical offpeak but you need to offer more peak value because of the shorter 2-8 shaping.

10GB+10GB 512k shaping
40GB+40GB 1mbps shaping
75GB+75GB 1mpbs shaping
120GB+120GB 1mpbs shaping

and an unlimited plan

tjioer

Post by tjioer » Thu May 06, 2010 11:47 am

greesha wrote:I would like to see the unlimited off peak to go away. I would propose "unlimited" anytime plans that are shaped for the fairness fo all users. Here is my suggestions for adsl 2 (with optus phone) plans. I have no idea on the cost modeling of an ISP only what plans i see in the market. The cost problem i see is by allowing all plans to download unlimited in off peak you get a cost/service disparity. I can pay $25 and dowload more than a person paying $65 if I am closer to the exchange. Get rid of unlimited off peak.

PAYG

$15 + 50c/GB (shaped 512k shaped at 250GB for user protection and network usage fairness)

20GB anytime
$25 + line rental (256k shaping)

55GB anytime
$35 + line rental (512k shaping)

100GB anytime
$45 + line rental (1mbps shaping)

135GB anytime (1mbps shaping)
$55 + line rental

180GB anytime (1mbps shaping)
$65 + line rental

$75 + line rental (truly unlimited anytime un shaped plan)

anybody got any counter proposals that would be fair pricing and fair for the network?
An excellent suggestion.

I will take up the 20GB Anytime option! Exetel please consider this!

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
vaneagle wrote:

This would have been missed in the chaos from yesterday :mrgreen:

I like this idea. Which modem would we be getting for the $50 outlay?

Huawei E160e Modem (3.6/384) or;

Huawei E1762 Modem (7.2/384) ?

I believe the second modem is the better one.
$50.00 = E160E

We are trying to 'negotiate' a better buy price for the E1762

Thanks for that ForumAdmin.

Not sure if this will be an option for when it becomes available, but perhaps a choice between the 2 would be a good idea?

This way you can take the $50.00 = E160E modem or pay $XXX for the E1762 modem. :wink:

spottedgiraffe

Post by spottedgiraffe » Thu May 06, 2010 12:01 pm

Part of the issue with the initial change was the lack of respect it showed customers. Customers who had just entered into a contract had every right to feel a little cheated. While Exetel may well be within their rights to change the off-peak plan at any time, it is hardly reasonable for a new customer to expect that will change within a month (or week) of signing up. In the past Exetel used to consult. If this had occurred then there may have been much less angst. The second proposal is much more on target.

Given this is my second post about customer service will this be deleted too? This issue is just not just the change in plan but how it was managed.

Vikstar

Post by Vikstar » Thu May 06, 2010 12:10 pm

The change is unfortunate for me, as I can't have my computer on overnight since it is in my bedroom and I can't sleep with it on. So the only time I was able to download large files (mainly HD youtube content, love the SC2 commentary ;) ) was in the morning after I woke up. Currently I'm still on an old plan which is $6/GB past quota, so I'll have to change it soon to the $0.5/GB to alleviate the off-peak change.

As for the free wireless, it is very tempting. My only concern is that once I buy the modem, I won't be able to use it for long before the free wireless plan has to be withdrawn.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 12:10 pm

vaneagle wrote:
Thanks for that ForumAdmin.

Not sure if this will be an option for when it becomes available, but perhaps a choice between the 2 would be a good idea?

This way you can take the $50.00 = E160E modem or pay $XXX for the E1762 modem. :wink:
That will be an option.