Off Peak Period Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
antoniov

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by antoniov » Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Replacing the 'lost' bonus download time Exetel ADSL users will be given the option of getting a 'free' wireless service:

Monthly Access Charge: $0.00

PAYU Downloads: 1.75 cents per mbyte

Modem if required: $50.00

Contract Length: 12 months

Current customers can transfer to this plan via the User Facilities from June 1st 2010
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I understand this correctly;
You are offering the old model modem at a reduced price (From $95 to$50); and the data rate is higher (1.5 cents to 1.75cent) than that listed on the normal plans, and we must a 12 month contract.

I am having trouble understanding what is free here?

I am now out of contract however, when I check my adsl-1 plan terms; it appears that exetel is free to reduce my download asset my half yet if I go over my 12GB monthly peak allowance I am still charged the $3 per GB unless I sign another one sided contract to reduce it to $0.50c/GB.

If exetel terms continue to fluctuate like the stock market-this latest change may see us part ways after some 6 years.

bagginsoz

Feeling unloved and unhappy.

Post by bagginsoz » Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Dear Exetel,
I have been a satisfied customer for the past 2 years. I stayed on past my inital contract period because I was happy. I consider my usage habits to be fairly light, averaging ~10GB peak and ~10GB off peak per month. Please note that peak and off peak were about the same!
Recently, my old grandfathered plan which had a set peak/offpeak usage limit had a $5 price hike, which in effect made the switch to a new "unlimited" plan a more attractive offer. So I made the switch. I am disappointed that this change was made without warning and without consultation with loyal customers.

I find that the 50% increase in peak time, the 50% reduction in off peak time, with no comensurate alterations to allowances to be unacceptable.

I mirror the comments of many already posted here, that as a light user I would be happy to return to hard limits on peak and off peak, if the off-peak period were to remain as it was 12-12 / 2-12 / 2-2. The large window for off-peak was one of the great attractions of Exetel, and my download habits reflected this...they did not change when I shifted across to "unlimited".

I would like simple answers to the following questions:
Why was no communication / negotiation attempted prior to these radical changes?
As I have recently shifted from a grandfathered plan to the new "unlimited" plan am I considered to be under contract? (ie, do the changes get delayed until Sept, or can I leave without incurring penalties?)

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Thu May 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Will users that are now out of contract, for a certain period of time be able to go under a new one and keep the current off/on peak times for the term of their contract too? It might keep a few more members happy and keep them signed up for atleast another 12 months.

Redolent

Post by Redolent » Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Unfortunetly this change will be the final point in motivating me to change ISP's. I undertand that companies intend to do business for the sole purpose of procuring means, however at least make it look like customers are getting a good deal...
As of September 1st when these stated changes will come into affect I will no longer be a customer of Exetel, regardless of any proposed new arrangements. I wish exetel good fortune for the future and thank them for the service they once believed in to provide.

Kind regards,

Customer/s

dannyg1985

Post by dannyg1985 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm

well everyone would of got the new email... good news for people who are still in contract!

Not so good news for people not in contract (like me), have till september to change.

Best of luck everyone :roll:

majones

Post by majones » Thu May 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Exetel,

It is clear a lot of people are peaved.
You need to reconsider these changes, or risk losing a lot of business. I was in the process of recommending a friend to Exetel, but now I am thinking of recommending they go somewhere else. THESE ARE BAD CHANGES FOR THE CONSUMER!
Major problem's are:
- Increased amount of time during Peak Period per month (180 hours or 50%) with the same peak download allowance.
- Offpeak period becomes only useful for scheduled downloaders. Any downloads that can't be scheduled can not be "easily" downloaded in this offpeak period.
Examples of these downloads that can't be scheduled as mentioned so far on this forum:
- Steam game downloads
- X-Box game downloads
- There are several download sites on the internet that have time limited download links. If I use getright to schedule the download, the link will no longer be active once the scheduled time starts.

You should consider a few alternative options and start a poll on the forum. Potential options proposed so far:
- Choice of offpeak download periods with download limits:
2am - 12pm - Download limit of 20 GB per month offpeak. (Useful for low usage offpeak downloaders, or customers on ADSL1 with low bandwidth)
2am - 10am - Download limit of 40 GB per month offpeak. (Useful for average usage offpeak downloaders, with high end ADSL1 or ADSL2)
2am - 8am - Download limit of 80 GB per month offpeak. (Useful for heavy usage offpeak downloaders, with high end ADSL1 or ADSL2)

- Choice of staggered download periods:
12pm to 6am
3am to 9am
6am to 12pm

- Increased Peak Downloads for ALL PLANS (not most recent) by 50% to cater for the extra 50% of peak period duration per month.

I would suggest Exetel have a think about other possible solutions for the problem, and add them to a poll...?
This would prevent current Exetel users from jumping ship as is being discussed, until a BETTER solution is found.

Cheers
Jonesy

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Topgunn wrote:Will users that are now out of contract, for a certain period of time be able to go under a new one and keep the current off/on peak times for the term of their contract too? It might keep a few more members happy and keep them signed up for atleast another 12 months.
That's always available.

But, if a user is ever unhappy with the service they are using they should move to a provider whom they believe will better meet their needs.

It is pointless to be unhappy with a service and not do something about it if there are no contractual/other restraints (such as the person who is unhappy isn't actually the person who makes the decisions.)

As the original subject of this thread is now no longer relevant this thread is closed.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Feeling unloved and unhappy.

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 06, 2010 3:28 pm

bagginsoz wrote:I would like simple answers to the following questions:
Why was no communication / negotiation attempted prior to these radical changes?
As I have recently shifted from a grandfathered plan to the new "unlimited" plan am I considered to be under contract? (ie, do the changes get delayed until Sept, or can I leave without incurring penalties?)
No communication / negotiation is necessary. Banks don't ask their customers whether they should increase fees or interest rates. Exetel has a history of surveying customers and implementing suggestions, but what makes you think that you are entitled to this when few other companies offer anywhere near the transparency of Exetel?

As for the second question: email billing@exetel.com.au. Contractual questions can't really be answered in these forums, and recently (as you are fully aware) there is some general confusion about the issue. So it is best to rely on an official answer. At minimum the changes look like they will be delayed until September.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au