Off Peak Period Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
bulletmark

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by bulletmark » Wed May 05, 2010 1:45 pm

As a very low downloader but somebody who finds his Exetel connection almost unusable in off-peak – I think this is great news!

I'd probably prefer Exetel flogged the leechers off to between 2am and 6am, but this is almost as good :)

john.d

Post by john.d » Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Very dissapointing.
If you can't sustain unlimited, then don't offer it.

A number of other changes that were dissapointing but i managed to cope with it were
-changes to offpeak to 2am.
-Increases to the price
-Unlimited but "not really unlimited"...
-$10 fee change plans within the same line speed

But I believe this change will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

In fact i rather u make offpeak downloads say 85gb than to cut offpeak hours to 6 hours.
Even though it is unlimited i can see myself probably only able to download half or less than 85gb with this change.
Esp how poor the offpeak hours are to begin with especially when u are on adsl1 speed.

If exetel introduce this change, I foresee many ppl will starting shopping isps. :evil:

ammartq

Post by ammartq » Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi,

What is going on at Exetel? You guys just announced the plans for ADSL2 on Tuesday, May 20th and now you are "tweaking" the plans again?

I just paid $10 on 1st of the current month for change of plan that has unlimited download and 12-12 to offpeak/peak time. Now the off-peak hours are being reduced to 6 hours where I wont be able to download much in the morning. On top of it there is more probability of running out of peak quota sooner. In addition, everybody will schedule p2p/torrents and other downloads from 2am-8am offpeak window and it will definitely affect the speed.

May I suggest the following:

1. Refund $10 "change of plan fee" to the customers who changed the plan recently.
2a. Restrict the off-peak quota from unlimited to 60GB-90GB and keep 12-12 offpeak/peak.
2b. Or change the off-peak time from 12am to 10am (or 2am to 12pm) and offer 10GB-15GB extra peak quota.

I for one would like 1 and 2a.

Cheers.

manic77

Post by manic77 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 pm

reducing peak downloads vs increasing off-peak downloads..

what is ur stratgey? plz

chindson

Post by chindson » Wed May 05, 2010 2:02 pm

There is no change of value - unless you download an amount that cannot be accommodated in 180 hours a month.....very hard to actually do that.
You're kidding right?? You guys (Exetel) are looking at it all wrong........you have just reduced the value of my plan. I was paying $75pm for 30Gb of data that had to last me for 360hrs pm. Now your saying that I am paying $75 for 30Gb of data that has to last me 540hrs effectively reducing the value of my plan by 50%.
Now if you were to say I am increasing your peak allowance by 15Gb and reducing the offpeak time by 6hrs per day then it would all be even.

NetGX

Post by NetGX » Wed May 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Extremely dissatisfied. I've long been a customer of 3 years and referred over 30 people to exetel.

This is a massive reduction in plan value.

May I suggest an option at least be provided to users. A hard cap of 70-90gb and keep the 12 hour offpeak
alternatively at least provide an 8-10hour offpeak window.

NetGX

Post by NetGX » Wed May 05, 2010 2:24 pm

I too use very little of my offpeak allowance, it was the 12 hour window that was appealing.

Either keep the 12 hours and place a hard limit on the downloads as exetel has had previously.

or alternatively keep it 'unlimited' in at least an 8 hour window, but provide an option!!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 2:31 pm

thalamic wrote:I already have HSPA WI A (no contract) for backup. Do I just cancel it and apply for the new plan in user facilities? That seems easiest for both Exetel and me.
You will be able to transfer to the new plan before the end of the month from the user facilities.

jromz03

Post by jromz03 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:53 pm

ok who keeps deleting my posts?

autron

Post by autron » Wed May 05, 2010 2:55 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:These are increasingly difficult times and each day, it seems, presents yet another new 'challenge'
For customers too, who apparently have to make constant decisions about the make-up of their internet service.

While I acknowledge that the Exetel network appears to be struggling to maintain good speeds at the moment and something needs to be done, surely this situation was predictable given the move to unlimited off-peak? Why didn't Exetel foresee this? Why didn't Exetel maintain a fixed cap on off-peak downloads or the three times average that was in place before? No-one wants an off-peak period if it cannot be used. Already the "window" during off-peak in which good speeds are obtainable is fairly small, maybe a few hours around 5am to 7am. I assume that window will disappear completely after everyone is crammed into a smaller period.

Also how does this resolve the slowness in peak times which are going to be under even more stress as people stop using off-peak and move to peak instead?

The "free" wireless service is of no use to me and I don't see it as compensating anything.

manic77

Post by manic77 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:56 pm

hi Forum Admin,

instead of deleting my posts? please reply to us,

david.mcauley

Post by david.mcauley » Wed May 05, 2010 2:58 pm

extemely dissatisfied!!

I am lost for words, I am paying $65 for 6gig peak that now has to last me an extra 6 hours a day.

I now have leave my computer on over night rather than downloading things in the mornings.

I am quite angry at you Exetel. With such a drastic change to plans, you should offer to wave the $100 cancelation fee so i can leave.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 pm

jromz03 wrote:ok who keeps deleting my posts?
Posts that break the forum rules are deleted.

If you re-read the forum rules you will understand why your posts were deleted.

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:02 pm

I think people should understand that Exetel is trying hard to provide the service at a lowest possible cost to the customer which means the may need to adjust more frequently than those that having higher margin to absolute the fluctuation. And I can see Exetel is trying to cope with the changes in the market place especially from those offering unlimited plans.

We all know that there is a assumed average usage (60-100k?) per user. Having 500 ADSL2 customer full speed downloading may already eat up 50-75% of the total BW, as was explained by FA a few moths ago the significant reduction of usage with around 100 of those downloader moved to other ISP.

I think the inclusion of unlimited plan seems to be a MUST for now. And the introduction of unlimited off-peak is also a necessary evil to ISP like Exetel.

I would suggest to have the following options for user to pick.
1. 6 hours unlimited off peak download as suggested: (same as TPG’s off peak time)
or
2. 8 hours ( 2-10) of off peak with 60G (or 3X peak)
or
3. Keep the current off peak time of user but make the quota 20G (or 2X peak).

With these options, those who really wants to download a lot should increase the utilization of the BW. Those with Exetel for a certain time should be happy with option2. And I think most of those lower usage customer like me that needs the extra off peak download hours but not the much quota would go with option 3.
Last edited by lkml2000 on Wed May 05, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm

david.mcauley wrote:extemely dissatisfied!!

I am lost for words, I am paying $65 for 6gig peak that now has to last me an extra 6 hours a day.
Or you could change to a plan that has more than 6 gb peak.