Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
oldman

Re: Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Post by oldman » Wed May 12, 2010 8:21 am

ForumAdmin wrote:No plans available to current users have peak/off peak periods.
I thought it was 'No plans available to NEW users have peak/ off peak periods.' I am on the NF/23NOTEL plan. When I click on 'Change My Service' the only options presented to me are 4 'Z' plans which have Peak and Off Peak downloads. My confusion is whether I still have to change from my NF plan to a Z plan by June 30.

EDIT: I see you replied while I was typing... will read it now.

Ok... as I understand your reply I can disregard the 'Cease Plan' email. My only concern is where it stated...

In the event that you have not selected another Exetel plan from the Exetel User Facilities: https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php We will automatically cancel your current ADSL service so, to avoid any inconvenience please either move to another Exetel plan or please move to another ISP before June 30th.

Is it possible to receive an email specifically rescinding the 'Cease Plan' email and stating that no user will have their ADSL service cancelled if they have not changed plan by June 30?

I'm sorry if I seem to be pressing the point... it's just that the initial 'Cease Plan' email said nothing about Peak/Off Peak, whereas the email I received yesterday was focused on the Peak/Off Peak issue. I note that towards the end it did state "The current plans in use by all customers will remain for the current users - they just won't be offered to new users", so if I understand correctly, this effectively rescinds the previous 'Cease Plan' email.

Thank you.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed May 12, 2010 9:04 am

oldman wrote:Ok... as I understand your reply I can disregard the 'Cease Plan' email. My only concern is where it stated...
Hi Oldman,

I suspect ForumAdmin has misinterpreted the context of your question and was referring to the peak/off-peak periods.

Please note the disclaimer up the top: Statements made on this forum do not constitute any "official" Exetel position.

You are probably best to query via more "official" channels.

Unless I am interpreting this exchange all wrong.

josem

Post by josem » Wed May 12, 2010 9:18 am

Last week (5 May 2010) I put in a change plan request to change from my current plan of NF/21NOTEL to Z/20NOTEL

On 6 May 2010, I received confirmation email from extel regarding above request.
We have received your change plan request.

Your current plan is : NF/21NOTEL
Your requested plan is: Z/20NOTEL
Your requested change of plan date: Thursday May 6, 2010 09:17 am

Today (12 May 2010) I received email from John Linton announcing new plans with no free off peak downloads saying all new applications will be using new plans.

My question is will Exetel still honour my request to change to Z/20NOTEL even if this plan is no longer existing. Please consider that this is not a new application but an old/existing application done before the announcement of today's new plans.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 am

josem wrote:Last week (5 May 2010) I put in a change plan request to change from my current plan of NF/21NOTEL to Z/20NOTEL

On 6 May 2010, I received confirmation email from extel regarding above request.
We have received your change plan request.

Your current plan is : NF/21NOTEL
Your requested plan is: Z/20NOTEL
Your requested change of plan date: Thursday May 6, 2010 09:17 am

Today (12 May 2010) I received email from John Linton announcing new plans with no free off peak downloads saying all new applications will be using new plans.

My question is will Exetel still honour my request to change to Z/20NOTEL even if this plan is no longer existing. Please consider that this is not a new application but an old/existing application done before the announcement of today's new plans.
your plan change should just go through as scheduled on the first of next month without any problem, I've done plan changes like this that were removed before the month was up and there was never an issue

Niall

Post by Niall » Wed May 12, 2010 9:33 am

Thanks for the explanation email - just one question though, I'm assuming that I'm one of the "heavy" users, even though I'm on a 70gb peak, 60gb off peak, and have never yet gone over 37gb peak & less than 10gb off peak. Now I don't want to be a burden on Exetel, I really like the service and the fact that the owners actually look at the forums & take the time and trouble to answer, but I'm a little confused still as to what they'd like me to do. I understand that my plan will not change as long as I stay on it, but if I am one of the "loss producing" people, I'd much prefer to change to a plan that at least allows Exetel to break even, or even make a small profit.

So, in plain english, what I am asking is, for those of us who got the "Cease plan" email which suggested that we were the "loss makers", what is the best plan for us to change to so that Exetel will be happy?

philippedlow

Post by philippedlow » Wed May 12, 2010 9:47 am

Thank you for the email - it is always gratifying when a company spends the time to write clear and concise explanations about its policy decisions. This (albeit belated) communication is one of the reasons I feel loyalty towards Exetel. Hopefully next time it can all be decided prior to sending a first set of confusing emails!

In any case, I hope that this restructuring serves Exetel well and i look forward to the 'pay for what you use' basis plans in the future. As always this is the most sensible and efficient market approach - fixed costs for the fixed costs of provision, variable costs for the variable usage, all with just a little bit of profit margin built in.

Paul35

Post by Paul35 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 am

i completely support exetel in what they are doing, in a post i made on whirlpool sometime ago. the off-peak should of gone sometime ago...... and what ever amount of gb`s is included in your plan is there for what ever or how you wish to use it. To me off-peak is pretty useless when you have a 4 month old son who has a feed sometime early morning and all ya wanna do is sleep. well done john :)
To many dam People worry to bloody much about little things

wewak

Post by wewak » Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 am

Firstly, thanks for the update. It's good to know the rationale behind a company's thinking.

I do have a query though. I am on an old plan (12GB + ~80GB, $45 +$5) and would like to know whether existing users will be given the opportunity to change to one of the new plans - I am interested in the 1500A Plan.

Also, will new 8000 plans be made available for ADSL1?

David R

Post by David R » Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 am

If you still are keen on doing something constructive IRT "a bonus", you could always furnish six hours OFfPeak for 'HSPA' - not as many customers to disturb on that front, but this also assumes your master/gatekeeper would okay the development.

If, as you acknowledge, they currently are ramping up capacity on their cellular sites but so to, have also ,copied the Exetel's generous/12H off peak modeling in ADSL.... well now may be time for Optus to permit their client (their good 'pioneer' in Exetel) to do some positive testing of Offpeak - wireless.

HSPA/wireless is far from any 'saturated' sort of situation (unlike DSL). Yet its pace of growth is bound to slow at some point from today. Opening up a 6 hour new time zone, at this point, would not merely give to wireless the kick along you'd want for Exetel, but also be interesting to gauge, and not be me tooish at all.

With simply a 1gb : 2Ggb(bonus)-quantum, the cost per gb, could reach $5.00 and compete once again. It would compete very well.. along the lines of the motto waste not want not which befits us patrons of Exetel.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 12, 2010 11:54 am

wewak wrote:Firstly, thanks for the update. It's good to know the rationale behind a company's thinking.

I do have a query though. I am on an old plan (12GB + ~80GB, $45 +$5) and would like to know whether existing users will be given the opportunity to change to one of the new plans - I am interested in the 1500A Plan.

Also, will new 8000 plans be made available for ADSL1?
I think you'll find that ADSL1 customers can now select the new plans in the user facilities.

caspersky

Post by caspersky » Wed May 12, 2010 12:25 pm

I like the 'you pay for what you use' principle. It's about time for Exetel to set plans that are actually economically feasible. Unrealistic plans will not last long. Exetel should focus on reducing operating costs and transfer those savings to customers, but not 'overdo' it so as to make the business inoperable.

pecifieote

Post by pecifieote » Wed May 12, 2010 12:32 pm

I am concerned that in months where I use all of my peak quota I will be unprofitable. I am on naked adsl currently paying $55 per month for 30GB peak and 60GB offpeak with excess charged at $0.50/gigabyte. I applied to change to the similar Z plan that is $50 per month with the same peak quota. For such pricing to be possible when the port costs almost $40 and each GB approximately 40c, does Exetel rely on me to not always use my full quota? Or is it actually better for Exetel if I go over my peak quota and pay excess charges?

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Wed May 12, 2010 12:36 pm

ROTFL, Do you guys wonder when you buy a bottle of milk from Woolies, if it will be profitable?

vbap

Post by vbap » Wed May 12, 2010 1:39 pm

cdonges wrote:ROTFL, Do you guys wonder when you buy a bottle of milk from Woolies, if it will be profitable?
I think it says a lot about a company's culture when its customers (not shareholders!) show concern about its profitability to the point of asking to be put on to "profitable" contracts . I find Exetel a pleasingly unique company in that respect.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 12, 2010 1:40 pm

oldman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:No plans available to current users have peak/off peak periods.
I thought it was 'No plans available to NEW users have peak/ off peak periods.' I am on the NF/23NOTEL plan. When I click on 'Change My Service' the only options presented to me are 4 'Z' plans which have Peak and Off Peak downloads. My confusion is whether I still have to change from my NF plan to a Z plan by June 30.

EDIT: I see you replied while I was typing... will read it now.

Ok... as I understand your reply I can disregard the 'Cease Plan' email. My only concern is where it stated...

In the event that you have not selected another Exetel plan from the Exetel User Facilities: https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php We will automatically cancel your current ADSL service so, to avoid any inconvenience please either move to another Exetel plan or please move to another ISP before June 30th.

Is it possible to receive an email specifically rescinding the 'Cease Plan' email and stating that no user will have their ADSL service cancelled if they have not changed plan by June 30?

I'm sorry if I seem to be pressing the point... it's just that the initial 'Cease Plan' email said nothing about Peak/Off Peak, whereas the email I received yesterday was focused on the Peak/Off Peak issue. I note that towards the end it did state "The current plans in use by all customers will remain for the current users - they just won't be offered to new users", so if I understand correctly, this effectively rescinds the previous 'Cease Plan' email.

Thank you.
I'm sorry - I can't address personal circumstances.