Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Re: Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat May 15, 2010 10:09 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Is it possible to get the Z plans re-instated please at least until the end of the month?
I have asked for that to be done.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Sun May 16, 2010 7:34 am

Typically for both business and end user PAYG plans are not the best.

It makes it hard for business to predict income and is more prone to "failure to pay" and "we didn't use that much disputes". This affects the ability of the business to future plan.

It makes it hard for end user to budget.

The company I work for changed this style of "user pays" around from a monthly deal to an agreed yearly deal (reviewed annually on past years usage) to overcome both of these problems.

crustyman

Post by crustyman » Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 am

Hi, Just wondering, I'm currently on one of the Z plans and after reading the recent email about sustainability for supply of ADSL services I wouldn't mind switching to one of the new plans but I've just paid the $10 plan change this month and was hoping that I could change to one of the more sustainable plans but without paying the $10 again? I don't want to be unprofitable as I believe every customer/business relationship has to have some kind of a benefit for both parties otherwise why do it...

Thanks

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun May 16, 2010 11:42 am

rseydler wrote:Typically for both business and end user PAYG plans are not the best.

It makes it hard for business to predict income and is more prone to "failure to pay" and "we didn't use that much disputes". This affects the ability of the business to future plan.

It makes it hard for end user to budget.
I would argue that PAYG plans are perfect. Imagine you are going away for holidays, or have a period when you have fewer people using the internet. PAYG plans then result in a lowering of costs vs pre-paid plans which is what many people desire at times (saves the user needing to pre-empt usage patterns over each coming month)

Previously, Exetel was proposing some sort of capped PAYG plans. i.e. $x per GB, capped at $y and potentially shaped thereafter, or some higher nominal threshold. Something like this would address both worlds (budgeted costs and variable usage).
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

jubba

Post by jubba » Sun May 16, 2010 5:49 pm

i was wondering how much upload data costs exetel if anything at all?
Because my uploads (due to torrent) in some months are as large as my downloads (more an issue of not downloading that much :P)
I was also interested whether it would cause congestion for other exetel users during busy times?
Sorry if its a stupid question.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun May 16, 2010 8:06 pm

jubba wrote:i was wondering how much upload data costs exetel if anything at all?
Because my uploads (due to torrent) in some months are as large as my downloads (more an issue of not downloading that much :P)
I was also interested whether it would cause congestion for other exetel users during busy times?
Sorry if its a stupid question.
Uploads don't cost anything.

Dabront

Post by Dabront » Mon May 17, 2010 9:48 am

John, in my case Exetel have given me very good savings compared to my previous ISP's and I am now paying about $50 per month less than previously. I would like to stay with Exetel even if it means paying more. Exetel's plan changes have made my costs even lower than when I first joined, so if I am costing you money I would like to change to a more suitable plan.

What would you think of adding some type of meter or suggested plan function that we could access in the member section that shows when we are not making you that $1 a month? In the past you have provided no real incentive to go onto a higher plan because the off peak has always been equal across the plans, and I have taken advantage of that, but if that needs to change let me know and I will do so. I think there are a lot of users that would be happy to do their part in contributing to maintaining the "ecosystem".

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 am

If you feel a compulsion to support Exetel, there is always the facility for contributing donations to Exetel's sponsored environmental projects
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

oldman

Post by oldman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:Is it possible to get the Z plans re-instated please at least until the end of the month?
Thank you. Hopefully they will be available shortly to those of us who have supported Exetel for a number of years and do not find the new ONx plans to be appropriate for our requirements.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am

oldman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Thank you. Hopefully they will be available shortly to those of us who have supported Exetel for a number of years and do not find the new ONx plans to be appropriate for our requirements.
+1. Yes, thank you! (still the new plans there at the moment, but well check regularly today in hope the old one's will return)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 17, 2010 11:13 am

oldman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
What is it you find unsuitable?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon May 17, 2010 11:35 am

ForumAdmin wrote:What is it you find unsuitable?
Well apart from the fact that in Member Services, they are priced $30 more than in the http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php section (wait, I just checked, that's been fixed now), I've always found the offpeak "free" period to be great.

I've always tried to be a considerate off-peak user (as shown by the fact I'm on 2am-2pm off-peak time - gifted to us users that voluntarily swapped to a different off-peak period when asked).
I currently schedule any big downloads for a 3am start as I can see from the graphs provided that you get a peak at midnight and another peak at 2am.

I'd even be happy with the newest plans if they only had a one or two hour off-peak window. But doing away with it altogether seems a bit rough after being gifted this offpeak for period for over 6 years now :) I'm just so very used to it. Not to mention it's great for referrals... When asked by colleagues/friends how much I'm paying, I often say $60 including a phone line for unlimited data 12 hours a day, every day! Almost always get a wow... that's cheap. I pay XXX with telstra/internode/westnet etc

kiwigene

Post by kiwigene » Mon May 17, 2010 11:45 am

+1 for the "new" PAYG plans. I will most likely change to the ONA plan at the end of the month.
I like the change in the plan direction. Suits me fine.

oldman

Post by oldman » Mon May 17, 2010 12:57 pm

The significant decrease in value.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 17, 2010 2:31 pm

oldman wrote:
The significant decrease in value.
I see.

If that is the case then it seems that other internet providers offer more value for money than Exetel now does which means we have no reason to continue to operate in the Australian residential ADSL marketplace - our only reason for 'entering' the residential marketplace in January 2004 was to provide the lowest possible cost service and if we can no longer do that then we need to turn our attention to doing more useful things.

I can see no real reason to subsidise the internet services of so many people (to the tune of well over $A400,000 a month of personal money) when more suitable services can be provided by other providers. Hopefully Exetel has provided value to those customers who have selected our services over previous years but if that is no longer the case - then, of course, you should move elsewhere.

As another very long term customer told me the other day - "I can get a better deal from Telstra and every cent counts."