Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
thomashouseman

Re: Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Post by thomashouseman » Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: As another very long term customer told me the other day - "I can get a better deal from Telstra and every cent counts."
He'll be back :)

oblong

Post by oblong » Mon May 17, 2010 3:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:If that is the case then it seems that other internet providers offer more value for money than Exetel now does which means we have no reason to continue to operate in the Australian residential ADSL marketplace - our only reason for 'entering' the residential marketplace in January 2004 was to provide the lowest possible cost service and if we can no longer do that then we need to turn our attention to doing more useful things.
I'm sure that not all your customers think that other suppiers now provide the best value for money. For me, it's not just the pure ADSL costs; it's beneficial to have access to other services like VoIP/SMS/fax2e-mail, for example, even on a pay-as-you use basis.

As I do a lot of work from home, the extended off-peak hours previously offered by Exetel were a big attraction, so if I could stay on my (now "old") NF ADSL2 plan I'd be happy. Even if I had to change plans, I'd change to AAA with no peak/off-peak. I expect that only occasionally I'd exceed the 10 GB limit. The equivalent TPG plan offers only 4GB peak, and their off-peak times are not of much use to me. Not only that, the TPG shaping speeds are worse than Exetel's (where uploads are not shaped, anyway).

So, in short, as far as I can see, I'd be staying with Exetel; don't scare us by suggesting you'll shut down!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 17, 2010 5:18 pm

oblong wrote:
I'm sure that not all your customers think that other suppiers now provide the best value for money. For me, it's not just the pure ADSL costs; it's beneficial to have access to other services like VoIP/SMS/fax2e-mail, for example, even on a pay-as-you use basis.

As I do a lot of work from home, the extended off-peak hours previously offered by Exetel were a big attraction, so if I could stay on my (now "old") NF ADSL2 plan I'd be happy. Even if I had to change plans, I'd change to AAA with no peak/off-peak. I expect that only occasionally I'd exceed the 10 GB limit. The equivalent TPG plan offers only 4GB peak, and their off-peak times are not of much use to me. Not only that, the TPG shaping speeds are worse than Exetel's (where uploads are not shaped, anyway).

So, in short, as far as I can see, I'd be staying with Exetel; don't scare us by suggesting you'll shut down!
I must have written those statements very badly.

I meant to say that there are now 'needs' of sectors of the residential market places that we used to be able to meetfor the bulk of the past 6+ years but now cannot meet.

We used to be able, via the off peak period, to provide for some sectors of ADSL users who wanted large downloads but that is no longer the case - we cannot do that any more as companies like AAPT and TPG with 24 x 7 unlimited plans meet the needs of mega down loaders much better than we can.

Telstra is targetting our, and I assume other provider's, ADSL1 customers offering them ADSL2 at lower costs than we can provide ADSL1 - an impossible scenario for us.

We can offer very attractive 'lower end' ADSL1 and ADSL2 plans and that is what we must now concentrate on.

10 gigabytes currently accounts for around 50% of our customer base and with an 8 hour uncounted down load period for big files each day it should be enough for most of our current customers and a reasonable attraction to similarly minded new customers....at least at this point in time.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: As another very long term customer told me the other day - "I can get a better deal from Telstra and every cent counts."
He'll be back :)
Possibly - but it really P***ed me off at the time.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 17, 2010 5:23 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:What is it you find unsuitable?
Well apart from the fact that in Member Services, they are priced $30 more than in the http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php section (wait, I just checked, that's been fixed now), I've always found the offpeak "free" period to be great.

I've always tried to be a considerate off-peak user (as shown by the fact I'm on 2am-2pm off-peak time - gifted to us users that voluntarily swapped to a different off-peak period when asked).
I currently schedule any big downloads for a 3am start as I can see from the graphs provided that you get a peak at midnight and another peak at 2am.

I'd even be happy with the newest plans if they only had a one or two hour off-peak window. But doing away with it altogether seems a bit rough after being gifted this offpeak for period for over 6 years now :) I'm just so very used to it. Not to mention it's great for referrals... When asked by colleagues/friends how much I'm paying, I often say $60 including a phone line for unlimited data 12 hours a day, every day! Almost always get a wow... that's cheap. I pay XXX with telstra/internode/westnet etc
There is a six hour 'off peak' period with the new plans which, for 'genuine' down loaders should be more than any reasonable person could ever use - at least I would have thought that.

2 am to 8 am is truly "off peak" (perhaps an hour too long for true off peak) and at 1500/256 provides over 100 gb.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon May 17, 2010 5:52 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
There is a six hour 'off peak' period with the new plans which, for 'genuine' down loaders should be more than any reasonable person could ever use - at least I would have thought that.
Oh was that there in the member services - change service area the other day? I could almost swear it wasn't. Either that or I'm going blind. The new OT plans are looking much better with that in there now.

T.

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Mon May 17, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm currently on NF/22INCTEL for $70 / month. Would Exetel prefer if I change to OTB $60 / month, which has same peak and 2-8 off peak (which im fine with....remember, it was the original off peak!)?

It is cheaper, but for how long can Exetel (realistically) continue to provide OTB at $60?

oblong

Post by oblong » Mon May 17, 2010 6:00 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I must have written those statements very badly.
I think so :-). Thanks for the clarification - that makes sense.

[...]
ForumAdmin wrote:10 gigabytes currently accounts for around 50% of our customer base and with an 8 hour uncounted down load period for big files each day it should be enough for most of our current customers and a reasonable attraction to similarly minded new customers....at least at this point in time.
I must have missed that in all the recent plan changes, unless that off-peak time just reappeared. Either way, that's good, and it certainly helps for the larger files that can be scheduled for downloading.

tulett

Post by tulett » Mon May 17, 2010 7:47 pm

I've just realised why so many people are upset with the new plans. I don't think they realise that they have 2am - 8am off-peak. I only just realised it. I didn't notice the * on the plan page.

* Downloads between 2 am and 8 am do not count towards your included plan allowance from 1st June 2010

I'm just used to the off-peak being in a column on the plan tables. There are heaps of discussions on Whirlpool about the new Exetel plans with NO off-peak. So they're moaning about plans that don't exist.

Anyway, now that I realise they DO have off-peak, it's not a bad set of new plans (well, the best on the market actually) for me. I get an extra 4G peak and 4 hours less off-peak each day. And 50c excess charge instead of $3, if I choose not to be shaped. Oh, and it costs $5 a month LESS! Looks good to me.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: The new OT plans are looking much better with that in there now.
To me it looks like OTA @ $50 per month (10gb and 6 hours off peak) is better than the older Z/20INCTEL @ $55 per month (10gb and off peak for 12 hours) - assuming you can dl what you need in 6 hours off peak each day

By my calculation OTA is now the better plan provided there's 6 hours of off peak included

sable

Post by sable » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 pm

We can offer very attractive 'lower end' ADSL1 and ADSL2 plans and that is what we must now concentrate on.
Yes please.

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon » Mon May 17, 2010 9:46 pm

bodogbodog wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: The new OT plans are looking much better with that in there now.
To me it looks like OTA @ $50 per month (10gb and 6 hours off peak) is better than the older Z/20INCTEL @ $55 per month (10gb and off peak for 12 hours) - assuming you can dl what you need in 6 hours off peak each day

By my calculation OTA is now the better plan provided there's 6 hours of off peak included

Depends on your computer activity. I prefer the longer off peak periods finishing at 12 noon as it gives me all morning to run updates on my computers, download any files/programs I require, download my emails, check my live cams, let kids play computer games etc without affecting my peak download quota.

Hence both OTA and Z/20INCTEL are very good value providing they are not lumped with administration charges and surcharges in future or have off peak periods further restricted.

myrrh

Post by myrrh » Wed May 19, 2010 6:38 am

* Downloads between 2 am and 8 am do not count towards your included plan allowance from 1st June 2010
Off peak between 2.30 am and 7.30 am is lower cost to Exetel
are these times EST or local? Just trying to figure out the best settings for my download scheduler to minimize cost. I've got 12am-12pm offpeak but if I can download all I need too in a shorter window and save Exetel a few dollars at the same time then happy to do so.

Thanks

Craig

kogi

Post by kogi » Wed May 19, 2010 8:15 am

With the OT* plans,

Will there be an option to have 50c/gb instead of shaping?

WIll that option be still avail on the Z plans?

kogi

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:Is it possible to get the Z plans re-instated please at least until the end of the month?
I have asked for that to be done.
Is this still going to happen or has it been ditched with the addition of the 6 hours free off-peak on the new OT plans?