A Watershed Change In Australian Communications?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives

Old Flame

Re: A Watershed Change In Australian Communications?

Post by Old Flame » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:53 pm

So, I would be interested in your point of view regarding the short term and long term consequences of this. I myself just want NBN inc to piss off and leave my ADSL2+ alone :D

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Interesting times ahead I guess.

But I can't help thinking that Australian taxpayers will be paying $11 billion for something that the taxes of earlier generations already paid for ....

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Hope you have a great holiday anyway John and Co! :D

David R

Post by David R » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 am

Well, a small victory for consumers and our digital economy. First Trujillo gone; now an 'agreement'. 'May not seem much but it is progress.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:37 am

Klaas wrote:Interesting times ahead I guess.

But I can't help thinking that Australian taxpayers will be paying $11 billion for something that the taxes of earlier generations already paid for ....
...but you need to remember that taxpayers who had funded the original build got their money back and a lot more besides via the original sale of Telecom Australia.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Assuming that labour wins the next election, and this Sale of Telstra assets to the NBN Co. happens, and the NBN is built, (and I make no suggestion as to what will really happen) any Telco/ISP etc. who can sell a seamless cut over of home phone services to the Australian masses, will have the best chance of success.

This Home Phone service will have to be VoIP, but:
will the customer need to spend much to purchase the hardware?
will the hardware have plug-and-play simplicity to use?
will the hardware have the reliability of an Analogue phone?

The provider who can demonstrate and sell their ability to do this, will get the internet and other business as well.
As it is considered a basic service like Electricity and Water, there will be opposition to an capital outlay to purchase new expensive and unreliable equipment.
Most people with an ultra conservative approach will put up with flakey Internet but never an unreliable phone service.

Is this why Telstra started selling their T-hub and T-box equipment recently?