New ADSL2 Plan Parameters

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New ADSL2 Plan Parameters

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:57 pm

MRisos wrote:I was forced off my plan.. had to pay $10 aswell..
If you are talking about the last batch of plan changes, you were not "forced" You had a choice between $10 plan fee change to go to new plan, or $5 per month rise in price of old plan.
MRisos wrote:I hate the new 2am-8am off peak.. i really want off peak to last to 12pm at least.. eg, 3am to 12pm would suit me perfectly i really hope exetel change it..
As Forum Admin says, "off-peak" is not arbitrarily chosen. It is aligned to usage levels. "off-peak" means "periods of time when the network is underutilised" and usage is high after 8-9am, hence the change.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:As Forum Admin says, "off-peak" is not arbitrarily chosen. It is aligned to usage levels. "off-peak" means "periods of time when the network is underutilised" and usage is high after 8-9am, hence the change.
In that case, Exetel could introduce some sort of dynamic off peak. eg an off peak that changes every 3 months?

MRisos

Post by MRisos » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:04 pm

I was on the NF23/NOTEL plan and didnt get a option to pay $5 more.. email said the plan wasnt profitable and i had to switch to the new plans and pay $10 before june or i would be disconnected.. i would definitly pay and extra $5 a month to kepe my 2am-2pm off peak.. :D

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:26 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:OFF PEAK means periods when the network is used very little (in comparison).

It isn't some method of assigning periods of higher usage.
This I understand. However, the current (generous) period titled Off-Peak has created the peak usage, as anyone who has even cursorily looked at the graphs. So what would be the real off-peak if there was one quota for the entire 24hrs. I imagine the early hours of the morning would be it. I wonder though if there would be as marked a difference in the afternoon, especially in comparison to the artificially (?) created demand just prior to mid-day, as there is now.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:02 am

It's taken us almost six and a half years to create the current situation.

It can now be used to everyone's benefit instead of the previous horrendous waste of the old bell curve with it's high peak and low troughs.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 pm

rseydler wrote:I like it... any info on the price points?
btw will these updated plans have the free wireless option?

Tx

Ronny

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:55 am

rseydler wrote:
rseydler wrote:I like it... any info on the price points?
btw will these updated plans have the free wireless option?

Tx

Ronny
Yes.

sailing

Post by sailing » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:01 am

Any chance the new off peak can be introduced before the end of the month so we can apply for next month?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:21 am

sailing wrote:Any chance the new off peak can be introduced before the end of the month so we can apply for next month?
I doubt it.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:58 am

Will this change in off-peak be applicable to existing "modern" plans? I ask as I'm considering a move to the OTCW3 plan. If I change, I'm in a 12-month contract. Will that lock me out of the new off-peak proposals?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:17 am

Yuri wrote:Will this change in off-peak be applicable to existing "modern" plans? I ask as I'm considering a move to the OTCW3 plan. If I change, I'm in a 12-month contract. Will that lock me out of the new off-peak proposals?
Any revised off peak periods would only apply to new plans.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Ok, I'll wait......

patient

Post by patient » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:09 am

I like the concept of split off peak. really suits our mix household of students who keep different hours.

thx

nutsandbolts

Post by nutsandbolts » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:03 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:When we see what happens over the next ten days in the ADSL@ marketplaces we will consider new Optus ADSL2 (inc and naked) plans that will have a 'split' off peak period of:

12 noon to 6 pm plus 3 am to 9 am (12 hours in total).

Any comments you would like to make will be welcome.
this would suit me very well :D

Col

Post by Col » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:26 pm

Well the "ten days" are now up :)

I usually think that splitting plan quotas into 3 periods, as has been suggested in the past, would make plans too complicated. However, after spending a few more minutes thinking about it tonight I think I would prefer three periods over the off-peak extension proposed. My reasoning is that, especially over weekends, opening up the period between noon and 6pm to a large (currently 180GB) quota might be detrimental. Instead, how about moving off-peak to 3am to 9am, then have peak1 from 9am to 6pm and peak2 from 6pm to 3am. Then you can essentially just double peak quotas (copy the current peak quotas into peak1 and peak2, turning the 10GB+180GB plan into a 20GB(10GB+10GB)+180GB plan for example) instead of up to a possible 180GB between noon and 6pm.

You'll just have to keep peak2 up to scratch against other ISP's peak quotas, as you have been doing with your normal peak period. Then just keep peak1 the same as peak2 for symmetrical simplicity.

There are cons to almost any idea, but I just thought I would put mine out there. Though I guess it is slightly similar to dbr's idea, except without the customisation ability which would add more complexity and make it even harder to put up solid comparisons against 1 and 2 period plans from other ISPs - at least in my opinion.

Edit: Alternatively, do as you are suggesting (make noon to 6pm off-peak) but make it chew through the quota at 150% or 200% the normal rate. That way it is still a boost for most people, but the heavy downloaders will be kept to the real off-peak period.