New ADSL2 Plan Parameters

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
LordS

Re: New ADSL2 Plan Parameters

Post by LordS » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:40 am

Col wrote:Edit: Alternatively, do as you are suggesting (make noon to 6pm off-peak) but make it chew through the quota at 150% or 200% the normal rate. That way it is still a boost for most people, but the heavy downloaders will be kept to the real off-peak period.
The only problem is, that isn't the peak time anymore.

The reason JL is doing this is because day time use is now far less than night time.

Off peak isn't a certain time period, it is when bandwidth usage is the lowest. In an attempt to remove any troughs from the graph u offer extra usage for nothing in a period where it is underutilised (as Exetel is paying for the link either way they may as well get some use out of it).

The reason they offered an offpeak was because they were paying for the link during the night time when nobody was using it. So there graph looked like -----\______/-----, What they have now is ____/------\____, They need to rectify this and move some of the heavy downloaders to the day time so they don't have to buy more bandwidth to accommodate the night time users.

Col

Post by Col » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:43 pm

LordS wrote:The only problem is, that isn't the peak time anymore.

The reason JL is doing this is because day time use is now far less than night time.

Off peak isn't a certain time period, it is when bandwidth usage is the lowest. In an attempt to remove any troughs from the graph u offer extra usage for nothing in a period where it is underutilised (as Exetel is paying for the link either way they may as well get some use out of it).

The reason they offered an offpeak was because they were paying for the link during the night time when nobody was using it. So there graph looked like -----\______/-----, What they have now is ____/------\____, They need to rectify this and move some of the heavy downloaders to the day time so they don't have to buy more bandwidth to accommodate the night time users.
While true that the early afternoon period can get as quiet or even more quiet than the middle of offpeak during weekdays I still maintain that I fear bandwidth complications during weekends if downloaders are allowed to go wild with 180GB during daylight hours.

I know Exetel's reasons for offpeak, and I know they unintentionally created a problem where they have had to increase bandwidth to keep up with offpeak spikes (a victim of their own success). Implementing a change to move some downloaders into quiet periods of the day is a good initiative. I wouldn't have much of a problem with the proposal if the daytime offpeak period was only on weekdays and not weekends... or perhaps my 150%-200% metering on weekends.

Edit: Though I am now starting to see the murky side of my 150-200% metering suggestion... some people wont like that offpeak is advertised as 180GB but because of fine print it can actually be lower than that. So I'd go for my 3 period idea or only include daytime offpeak on weekdays... but it isn't up to me.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I know this goes completely against the KISS principle (by a long stretch), but what would the likelihood be of being able to create a dynamic off-peak? The idea would be to reward those that pro-actively download when the graphs indicate least link utilisation. One would have a single quota and no fixed off peak period. The Accrual rates would move in bands in accordance with link usage. Eg when the link is above 90% usage, quota is accrued at 1:1; between 80 - 90%, 1:2; between 60 - 80%, 1:4 and less than 60% not counted (for example. Actual bands would need to be calculated by those in the know).

Obvious problems (other than the coding / scripting, of course) is that refreshes would need to be sufficiently in advance otherwise people would complain about not be able to maximise their usage (especially toward the end of the month). Though this is mitigated by indicating that actual downloads were much greater then paid for quotas.

It would certainly give a point of differentiation. Maybe have this as a set of plans parallel to the standard plans, as an option for the so called 'advanced users' who wouldn't mind trying to schedule download to help out. Certainly the "I paid for it so I want every byte I can eke out" crowd probably won't find it useful.

It may appeal to the 'I don't use off peak anyway', so any bonus would be good.

So there you go, a little out of left field, and maybe technically and even practically infeasible, but also perhaps might be a catalyst for some other idea.....

...and then again maybe not :)
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Col

Post by Col » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:35 pm

All quiet on the western front it seems...

If a split offpeak ends up not being introduced then I would appreciate the offpeak expanding to 1am to 9am. The 8am-9am window can handle it, and the 1am-2am window can take some of the strain off the 2am-3am window.

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:45 pm

I guess most of Exetel's attention is directed towards the new Telstra ADSL2 plans....

Any updates for the Optus ADSL2 plans? Split off peak?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:46 pm

It is still being considered.

There is a great deal going on at the moment.

harryL

Post by harryL » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:48 am

I note the new Telstra plans on my account pages.

Lowest cost 8134 plan (TEM) is $65/mnth.
Lowest cost ADSL2 plan (OTA) is $50/mnth.

(I also note 8134 TEK plan is lowest cost for new users @ $45/mnth).

Does the OTA plan include the rental of the telephone line - so toal cost (ADSL and phone) is the $50 shown?

Harry.

thecraw

Post by thecraw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:12 pm

harryL wrote:Lowest cost 8134 plan (TEM) is $65/mnth.

Does the OTA plan include the rental of the telephone line - so toal cost (ADSL and phone) is the $50 shown?
As quoted by JL those new 8mb entry plans will be available to existing users. Based upon that I would expect then that the entry level TW ADSL2+ plans will be something similar to the older entry level 8mb. Around the 60-70 per month mark.

sable

Post by sable » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:33 pm

harryL wrote:I note the new Telstra plans on my account pages.

Lowest cost 8134 plan (TEM) is $65/mnth.

Harry.
Harry

The OTA plans are not Telstra ADSL2 plans, they are on Optus infrastructure.

The Telstra ADSL2 plans have not yet been finalised or put up on the website.

As The Craw said the plans should be available to existing users later in the month, new user pricing always precedes exisisting users as a plan change oly comes into effect at the start of the next month.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:39 pm

harryL wrote:Does the OTA plan include the rental of the telephone line - so toal cost (ADSL and phone) is the $50 shown?
Correct.

thecraw

Post by thecraw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Plans are up

TE-2D $120.00* 6 Months $65.00 50 GB** 120 GB Coming Soon
TE-2E $120.00* 6 Months $75.00 100 GB** 120 GB Coming Soon

I will be straight onto the TE-2D when they go live :)

:D

fredbucket

Post by fredbucket » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:49 pm

thecraw wrote:TE-2D $120.00* 6 Months $65.00 50 GB** 120 GB Coming Soon
What happened to the 200 GB plan? :)

Regards
Fred

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 am

fredbucket wrote:
thecraw wrote:TE-2D $120.00* 6 Months $65.00 50 GB** 120 GB Coming Soon
What happened to the 200 GB plan? :)

Regards
Fred
We are still thinking about it.

We don't think we can provide such a plan in regional areas and we don't like the concept of a 'two tiered' Australia.

In the mean time Telstra's 200 gb plan is very reasonably priced.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 pm

No news is......?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:32 am

rseydler wrote:No news is......?
...due to TW not providing the final contract amendment 'promised' by the end of last week.