ADSL Plans/$10 - $25 Per Month Discounts

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
flabdablet

Re: ADSL Plans/$10 - $25 Per Month Discounts

Post by flabdablet » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Obviously I would enjoy paying less for my Internet and phone services.

Obviously I would enjoy giving Hell$tra the royal flush.

Unfortunately I live in a town that has no Optus DSLAMs and no Optus mobile coverage, so I've no choice but continuing to walk with dinosaurs. I can't even bundle my landline rental with Exetel, much as I'd like to.

But if Exetel can swing these discounts for people lucky enough to have access to Optus infrastructure, at no cost to Exetel's sustainability or to the prices paid by We The Unfortunate, go for it; it's important to keep on ratchetting down public expectations of what comms services ought to cost.

Lbucci

Post by Lbucci » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:59 pm

For me, the reason I have Naked is I don't want any bundling.
The true cost is more with bundles when you start adding phone and chargers.
I use Pennytel VoIP. It works well and I use about $20 every 6 month with Penntel and the wife can talk let me tell you.

I save some $80 with 2 prepaid mobiles and about $40 to $60 with naked DSL for no line rental etc....
Hopefully the Naked ASL isn't part of ADSL1 or ADSL2 plans being considered to include Phone-Bundles.

ReservedWolf

Post by ReservedWolf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:08 am

Currently still on Z/21NOTEL $50 and $10 Mobile cap, if my adsl cost came down by $10 I'd change up to the $20 Mobile cap again or even throw in VoIP with a DID (currently using Skype coz it's overall cheaper) if that were to be included ina bundle
All the world's a stage; know your part or get off the stage, we need the performance space. - by me, inspired by many other misanthropes.

geoffw

Post by geoffw » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 am

I currently have 3 mobiles on a single account with Optus and would be interested to know how Exetel would bundle these and ADSL2. I currently have a 10GB plan. The offered mobile call rates would be a factor too. I have been a customer of Exetel for 5 years and have ADSL2 and domain hosting services.

Wilmat

Post by Wilmat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 am

It is always good to have plans to inprove services and reduce the cost of these services. I have been a a customer for a few years now, but have had some trouble with improving the services I use due to telstra's lack of vision. I am stuck with adsl1 due to this lack of vision. :evil:
It will be a step in the right direction if exetel will make this avaliable for all of there ADSL plans :|

speedboatsteve

Post by speedboatsteve » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 am

2 types of mobile users exist: (Heavy users) people that go on contracts that more than likely use their mobile a lot and usually get a new phone every 2 years, and those that don't use their mobile much (light users) who usually look for a lower per month cost and don't upgrade theirs phones often.

Until recently, it was always cheaper in the long run if you shopped around and bought your phone outright, then got a sim card through a network reseller (like exetel) and you wouldn't get a contract. But most recently contract plans have become very competitive with phones like Virgin's Galaxy S $0 upfront for $39 a month (24 month contract), or $49/month with more included in your plan. So if you want a new phone every 2 years, this is still an awesome option. If you weren't after a new phone, something like TPG's new Mobile Cap Plans are awesome (I agree very much with etheesdad) with No Contract.

Exetel would have to offer something very competitive similar to TPG for me to bundle with no contract. Or offer something like Virgins $0 phone plans if they wanted a contract.

Keep up the good work Exetel, been with you for 3 years now through 2 relocations and have always been happy with your efforts.

Spectator

Post by Spectator » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:41 pm

It's hard to tell exactly what is being considered here.

As others have mentioned, its hard to beat TPG if you want a cap plan without the need for a new mobile. The TPG $19 cap that my wife still uses used to be near identical to Optus $49 cap. Comparisons are a bit more difficult now because the 2 sets of plans don't match up as neatly but unless Exetel plans to include the phones that Optus bundle than I think the discounts being described will not match the value you can get from TPG for the price. TPG prices are even cheaper for their broadband customers.

If, on the other hand, Exetel is talking about including the phone exactly as per the Optus plans than I may have to convince my wife I need a Samsung Galaxy S which we could get but on the $49 Exetel-Optus plan. She could then port her number to that service (eliminating the need for TPG) and I can sign up to an Exetel WM C HSPA service (as I wouldn't use the phone part of the Galaxy S much). I suspect that may be asking too much of Exetel though.

rogernxs

Post by rogernxs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 pm

One of the major attractions for me was the short contract period. 24 Mths is tooooo long for a contract.
I would prefer 12 mths but realise business commitments and Exetels pricing 'cut to the bone' so to speak,
i think i would be fairly happy with 18 mths. As most of Telstras contracts run for 24 mths.

Cheers
Roger Skibicki
mailto:rogerskibicki@yahoo.com.au

nerdag

Post by nerdag » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I've been with all three networks over the years, and my primary concern is coverage (for both urban and regional, as I need both), and whether I like it or not, Telstra wins hands down. Vodafone/3 is a distant second, and Optus a hopeless third.

I'd consider switching if Exetel were able to offer a Telstra mobile bundling option, as long as the price was better than Telstra's, but I don't see Telstra allowing that any time soon.

n

bruce M

Post by bruce M » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:43 pm

I'd be interested, particularly if you were going to bundle phones with it. Optus is better than vodaphone. Vodaphone doesn't even have coverage in my workplace in the middle of Geelong.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:10 pm

flabdablet wrote:Obviously I would enjoy paying less for my Internet and phone services.

Obviously I would enjoy giving Hell$tra the royal flush.

Unfortunately I live in a town that has no Optus DSLAMs and no Optus mobile coverage, so I've no choice but continuing to walk with dinosaurs. I can't even bundle my landline rental with Exetel, much as I'd like to.

But if Exetel can swing these discounts for people lucky enough to have access to Optus infrastructure, at no cost to Exetel's sustainability or to the prices paid by We The Unfortunate, go for it; it's important to keep on ratchetting down public expectations of what comms services ought to cost.
The proposed discounts apply to Optus, AAPT and Telstra services.

A town with no Optus mobile coverage? Which town is that?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:11 pm

nerdag wrote:I've been with all three networks over the years, and my primary concern is coverage (for both urban and regional, as I need both), and whether I like it or not, Telstra wins hands down. Vodafone/3 is a distant second, and Optus a hopeless third.

I'd consider switching if Exetel were able to offer a Telstra mobile bundling option, as long as the price was better than Telstra's, but I don't see Telstra allowing that any time soon.

n
Which town/area has hopeless Optus coverage?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Spectator wrote:It's hard to tell exactly what is being considered here.

As others have mentioned, its hard to beat TPG if you want a cap plan without the need for a new mobile. The TPG $19 cap that my wife still uses used to be near identical to Optus $49 cap. Comparisons are a bit more difficult now because the 2 sets of plans don't match up as neatly but unless Exetel plans to include the phones that Optus bundle than I think the discounts being described will not match the value you can get from TPG for the price. TPG prices are even cheaper for their broadband customers.

If, on the other hand, Exetel is talking about including the phone exactly as per the Optus plans than I may have to convince my wife I need a Samsung Galaxy S which we could get but on the $49 Exetel-Optus plan. She could then port her number to that service (eliminating the need for TPG) and I can sign up to an Exetel WM C HSPA service (as I wouldn't use the phone part of the Galaxy S much). I suspect that may be asking too much of Exetel though.
My understanding is that TPG simply sell Optus services that they sometimes modify and more often don't.

Exetel have no intention/ability to 'copy' TPG and will simply offer Optus 'standard' plans without handsets at some realistic price.

Exetel, by definition, could not attempt to aim at 100% of the market just the 1.5% or so that we seem to meet the needs of.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Wilmat wrote:It is always good to have plans to inprove services and reduce the cost of these services. I have been a a customer for a few years now, but have had some trouble with improving the services I use due to telstra's lack of vision. I am stuck with adsl1 due to this lack of vision. :evil:
It will be a step in the right direction if exetel will make this avaliable for all of there ADSL plans :|
Any 'bundling' will be offered with all ADSL1 and ADSL2 plans.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 pm

geoffw wrote:I currently have 3 mobiles on a single account with Optus and would be interested to know how Exetel would bundle these and ADSL2. I currently have a 10GB plan. The offered mobile call rates would be a factor too. I have been a customer of Exetel for 5 years and have ADSL2 and domain hosting services.
A $29.00 plan would provide a $10.00 per month discount for each mobile service bundled with Exetel. So 3 plans = $30.00 per month discount.

A $49.00 plan would generate a $15.00 per month discount and a $79.00 a month plan would generate a $20.00 per month discount.