ADSL Plans/$10 - $25 Per Month Discounts

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
nerdag

Re: ADSL Plans/$10 - $25 Per Month Discounts

Post by nerdag » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:42 am

Geographically, Optus coverage appears adequate, but it doesn't take into account peak usage and network congestion. There are heaps of Optus users still on free time between 6pm and 10pm in many parts of south west Sydney where I work, and making or receiving phone calls on Optus during these real hours is near impossible, even on a priority business plan.

I work 'on call' hours as part of a hospital roster and phone calls that drop out or that don't go through are potentially life threatening, hence the requirement for coverage. In regional areas where I also work regularly, there is only Optus coverage on highways and in regional centres. Visit a peripheral town for a home visit and you're frequently stranded without gsm coverage.

n

speedboatsteve

Post by speedboatsteve » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:22 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
simply offer Optus 'standard' plans without handsets at some realistic price.
ForumAdmin wrote:
A $29.00 plan would provide a $10.00 per month discount for each mobile service bundled with Exetel. So 3 plans = $30.00 per month discount.
A $49.00 plan would generate a $15.00 per month discount and a $79.00 a month plan would generate a $20.00 per month discount.
Sounds awesome. I can understand that some mobile users require a more solid network (Telstra) but Optus has always been fine for me as a casual mobile user. Calls can drop out from many, many circumstances, it's not always the "network" to blame.

If this was the deal, I would not expect contracts, maybe 6months, but definitely not 24months. I would just presume you would stop getting the discount on your ADSL the moment you canceled your mobile service.

If you didn't provide Optus' handset included plans as well (which could have longer contracts, 24 months) Do you suggest somewhere we could get new outright handsets from? As the $15 extra/month on a 24 month $49 plan = $360, which is less than half the price of the Outright cost of a Samsung Glaxay S, included for $0.

paracin

Post by paracin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Bundling discount is an excellent idea. GO FOR IT. Personally, I would like to see some result within the next month as I'm about to make a decision that would definitely consider such an option.
Just a quick comment on Optus sales tactics. Exactly 10 years ago Optus mobile lost me as a customer as they appreciated more new customers than the existing ones (BTW, Virgin is now doing the same by offering $100 bonus - to NEW customers only!) With all the sales trainings in the world, they still haven't learnt that it is much easier and cheaper to retain existing customers than to attract new ones. Let's hope that has changed.
As for Exetel, keep up the good work.

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 pm

+1 from me. This is an interesting proposition and Exetel should go ahead with it. I have just moved and need to re-enter an ADSL plan, and I have also been thinking of getting an iPhone plan with Optus a little further down the track. The prospect of a discount from bundling would attract me to Exetel rather than churning to another provider. Presumably the discount would kick in at the time the mobile contract was initiated, and apply to any Exetel ADSL plan existing at that time and then continue on for the duration of the ADSL or mobile contracts, whichever finished sooner ?

smellars

Post by smellars » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Sounds interesting.
I think you need to range packages to suit different user types i.e light normal heavy.

Plenty of people have a work mobile, but plans for the dear wife and maybe a kid or two plus internet on top. Id be interested a adsl2/mb package not exceeding $60 for very light use mb.

David R

Post by David R » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Exetel have no intention/ability to 'copy' TPG and will simply offer Optus 'standard' plans without handsets at some realistic price.
So no real innovations there. I'll keep watch of your HSPA Effort instead (..with a view to an 18hour off-peak deliberation)
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

GaborX

Post by GaborX » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:21 pm

We have been with Exetel for 3-4 years now and spent $1,400 last year only with Exetel for an ADSL and two mobile phones.

We would be happy to take up a bundled package (provided total cost is not higher for the same service) as it would mean less bills to pay. The one point I feel strongly about is the contracts: no 24 month or similar contracts please. All our phones and ADSL are paid month-by-month, phones are bought outright, we are not locked in anywhere.

Viva competition!

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 pm

I have been with Optus before and I find there coverage only midly better than Vodafone (unfortunately i am under contract with vodafone). I cant even use my phone at home with Vodafone, there is no way I would sign up for this. Its a nice idea but the coverage would turn me off.
TheToid

peteru

Post by peteru » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:41 pm

I would not mind bundling, but there are a couple of things that may complicate things:
  1. No Optus ADSL2+ available in my Exchange. (NBRI)
  2. I currently have Telstra Homeline Budget, which I believe has restrictions on STD/IDD pre-selection.
  3. My Exetel mobile is on a $0 plan with a typical monthly spend of less than $3.
So, what kind of discount options, if any, would I have?

broadscott

Post by broadscott » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:18 am

I currently have naked ADSL2+ and run 2 post paid $0/mnth mobile services with Exetel. I have been looking at the HSPA plans which look attractive to me,however the only thing stopping me from signing up is the $5/mnth minimum data fee. I do feel that since I have been a loyal customer (~5 years) and have an ADSL service I should be able to negotiate this price. I am certainly looking at other mobile carriers reselling Optus 3G for a better deal (and looking at there internet/mobile packages).

Ziege Mitfahrer

Post by Ziege Mitfahrer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 am

How about an alternative to Optus?

As a rural iPhone user, all data has to roam via Tel$tra.
Ergo, it's very expensive with any provider other than Tel$tra.

speedboatsteve

Post by speedboatsteve » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:37 am

Ziege Mitfahrer wrote:
How about an alternative to Optus?
There are only 3 mobile networks in Australia: Telstra, Optus and VHA (Vodafone + 3)

All other mobile providers have to piggy back off these networks. Telstra does not resell their network through any provider, that means if you want to use the Telstra network, you have to sign up with Telstra. That leaves Exetel a choice of either Optus or VHA.

Telstra's NextG mobile coverage now covers 99% of the Australian population, Optus' ON (Open Network) mobile coverage covers 96% (expanding to 98%) and VHA's mobile coverage is around 94% of the population. So differences is not that much anymore, although network speed still is where Telstra is best.

martyc

Post by martyc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:47 pm

While I have no interest in a bundled plan, I have noticed that on Telstra's high end plans, there are no peak or off-peak periods. Exetel's off-peak period hours are not particularly user friendly. This may also be a factor is some users making the change.

homerjsimpson8

Post by homerjsimpson8 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes, sounds like a good way to reward Exetel customers.
We would definitely consider it.
Thanks

daalinz

Post by daalinz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:15 am

I'd welcome discounts with bundling mobile and internet services.

I'd probably suggest a choice of discounting the bill or maybe giving included extras - more bandwidth on internet service or giving more included call cost or more data with the mobile.