Off Peak Periods

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Darvids0n

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by Darvids0n » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:59 pm

I reckon extending it back to midnight and forward as far as you want to (12am to 9/10/11am) would mean a lot more people can start up their overnight downloads before going to bed, something I want to do but often don't stay up late enough to do. A lot of my offpeak goes unused because I know I have these things to download but don't want to lose sleep over it (literally). So for that reason, a midnight start would be awesome.

sqgl

Post by sqgl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Maybe allow a limited number of users to swap their long offpeak hours for shorter offpeak hours but in the afternoon (where I see there is capacity). Just release a few such swap opportunities and see how it goes before offering more.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:05 pm

What about a "loyalty off-peak"?

New customers get the regular 6 hours of off-peak. Then, for example, after 1 year of "acceptable usage" it is increased to 9 hours, after another year to 12 hours. This would prevent abuse and provide sustainable rewards to longer term customers.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

boshen

Post by boshen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Allow customers to set up their own off-peak period during the AM hours in the portal. There could be a limit on max hours in a period, e.g. 8 or 9hours.

pandyam

Post by pandyam » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:17 pm

This non peak hrs are for gamers not for people who want to use a bit more from the plans.
Exetel is good in providing support to game users.

I ask for something why not change the clock from 12 to 6 or 12 to 8.
2 hrs extra is not going to cost but it will help people who normally sleep around 1am to enjoy some youtube or do some training for self help.

have you thought about trimming or identifying people who heavily use bandwidth and trim their bandwidth during 12 - 2am if u change your window from 12 - 8am.
I started with ExeTel when 12- 12 was free; then came the window 1 - 12 or something.. then they moved it to 2 - 12... and now its 2 - 6..
Is this free off peak for gamers? i am really disappointed.
Thanks & regards,
PM

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:28 pm

pandyam wrote:This non peak hrs are for gamers not for people who want to use a bit more from the plans.
Is this free off peak for gamers? i am really disappointed.
No. Gaming, Internet TV, etc are all more so "peak" activities. "Off-peak" predominantly involves large, scheduled downloads that are not time critical.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:29 pm

TheToid wrote:I also play games up to 4am in the morning, I would not to see the off-peak changed to before that period, it would be good if you could extend it to midday instead of 10am though.
Yeah, going back to the dark ages (12 to 12, 1 to 12 or 2 to 12 off-peak) is NOT something I want to experience again.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Yep games fail quite a bit during off-peak time as latency sky rockets into the hundreds of milliseconds.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

Shogun117

Post by Shogun117 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:36 pm

jokiin wrote:I'm a fairly light user so this doesn't really matter for me one way or another but what I would like to see is if the determination is that there should be extra hours of off peak included would be to add it gradually, eg if you decide an extra 6 hours is in order maybe add an extra 2 hours each month over a 3 month period so that nobody drastically changes their downloading habits to the detriment of the other users

for new users you could probably introduce a bigger limit straight away (understand from a marketing perspective that the longer off peak is more desirable) without it impacting the network, may not be easy to have staggered sets of usage though so perhaps not practical as such, just a thought anyway :)
+1 to both of these suggestions.

trev

Post by trev » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:36 pm

johnl2000 wrote:Exetel has been keeping adding charge and reducing benefit to its customer.
Not the Exetel that I have been subscribing to for the last 6+ years!

terrox

Post by terrox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:37 pm

user configurable time periods.
Same 6 hour block length as is now.
Allow user to specify when it starts (within Exetel Limits).
IF too many people select the same overlapping blocks, disabled certain times to spread it out.

example.
I go to my User settings and choose 8am-2pm
Or I go to my User settings to choose 12am-6am but it is unvailable due to being selected by too many customers.

Or a similar system which adjusts the LENGTH of the offpeak block according to how busy the time is (as in how many people are also selecting the same time periods)
example: selecting 12am would only give my 4 hours offpeak, but selecting 8am would give me 6 hours..

Overall - I don't think we need offpeak. I don't like encouraging leechers really.

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Yuri wrote:my TE-2D plan has gone from 50G peak to 100G peak,

Yuri.

Lol i was like bs i dont think my plan has changed but sure enough it as to 100GB !!!1!1!!!!!!

i was going to suggest added 2 more hours onto off peak 1 at ether end (so currently 4am to 10 am make it 3am to 11am) but now i dont think i need anymore time for offpeak as i have 100gb now of onpeak usage.

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:44 pm

I don't use much off peak downloads so for me it's fine the way it is

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:48 pm

terrox wrote:user configurable time periods.
Same 6 hour block length as is now.
Allow user to specify when it starts (within Exetel Limits).
IF too many people select the same overlapping blocks, disabled certain times to spread it out.

example.
I go to my User settings and choose 8am-2pm
Or I go to my User settings to choose 12am-6am but it is unvailable due to being selected by too many customers.

Or a similar system which adjusts the LENGTH of the offpeak block according to how busy the time is (as in how many people are also selecting the same time periods)
example: selecting 12am would only give my 4 hours offpeak, but selecting 8am would give me 6 hours..

Overall - I don't think we need offpeak. I don't like encouraging leechers really.
If this can be done without everyone choosing the earliest time slot and harming other peoples internet for things like games or video streaming then sure, go for it. Chances of it not affecting the 2 things I listed a pretty close to non-existent though.

People would choose the earliest off-peak time to maximize there use out of it.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Now that most of the heavy downloaders are gone why not bring back the 12hr 2-2 or 12-12. I thought we only changed to 6 hours because new users were abusing the "unlimited" off peak quota.

Personally I liked the 60GB, 12 hours offpeak, $$ for going over. When it went to unlimited is when things went astray.

Maybe I just don't download that much....

Ron