Off Peak Periods

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
The Land of Smeg

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by The Land of Smeg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:02 pm

I have always regarded Exetel as an innovating company, so maybe this has a shot.

I read an interview from Exetel's director about off-peak somewhere, and he said that basically the heavy downloaders cause a huge spike in bandwidth usage when the off-peak begins, lasting approximately 15 minutes until the downloads presumably finish (and making everyone's connection go slower), and then goes back to normal bandwidth usage.

I can see that Exetel have been trying to remedy this by making different plans have different off-peak times to spread the load of heavy downloaders which are on different plans.

My suggestion, is the ability for customers to nominate "their own" off-peak period, where they can choose different slots in 1/2 increments to have off-peak usage available. If the heavy downloaders have the ability to schedule their downloads and run their PCs on all night to do this, then I don't think it makes a difference to them if their slot is at 12:00, 12:30, 2:00, 4:00, 6:00 etc.

The slots can be suggested in the accounts area based on the most available slot for their exchange, slots can be limited in availability, and slots can be subject to availability so that Exetel has the right to make some customers choose a different slot if they find that there are too many heavy downloaders in the same slot.

I would also want there to be some incentive to users who are not heavy downloaders or an incentive not to be heavy downloaders. Maybe an option to forfeit a large (eg: 180GB) off-peak allowance in exchange for a smaller "special allowance" (eg: 10GB) that can be used in 1hr slots at times which are usually on-peak (eg: 6:30PM-7:30PM, 7:00PM-8:00PM), that is designed for users who play games, video conference, and stream tv/movies/music (or other high-use downloads that can't be scheduled in off-peak times)

wooknic

Post by wooknic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:12 pm

johnl2000 wrote:Exetel has been keeping adding charge and reducing benefit to its customer. And in the same time other ISP keep providing better and better plan. Comparing 2 years ago Exetel has already lost advantage for all kind of user. If Exetel continue to do that way I believe it will close soon.
gee which planet are you from?
Here is Exetel involving the customer in possible extra feature to the current range of plans..
I like to remind you that there are lots of ISPs out there, if you can do better change ISP.

Exetel has involved the customer base in all decisions, sometimes increasing customer costs or reducing services... sometimes reducing customer costs and increasing services.

I for one closely monitor what other ISPs are offering (part of my job), I can tell you I continue to see Exetel as best service for the money. Remember not all ISPs have robust back end network to handle customers loads, Exetel even allows customers to view it back end network proformance figures.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:19 pm

i hope this does not affect my current naked DSL plan.. im happy with my 12 hour off and on peak.

cclambie

Post by cclambie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:33 pm

I am totally happy with the Peak/ Off peak system at the moment.

I would love
- un-metered content from iview/ Streaming radio stations etc
- Faster browsing all day long
- ie. HTTP/S protocols have priority

Loving Exetel lately!! Fantastic job, regularly get 1.0 - 1.2 Mbps d/l speeds

lonix

Post by lonix » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 pm

you could possibly add 2 hours of off peak to the lowest usage days say mon-thurs then take one or two hours off peak away from high usage days say fri-sun

sqgl

Post by sqgl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:54 pm

I terms of smoothing out the graph isn't it misleading to concentrate only on the real-time monitoring on the exetel site (http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php)? Aren't there other ISP's sharing that same pipe?

G00f

Post by G00f » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 pm

For my $0.02 I am quite happy with how things are.
I often work from home and use VoIP, so keeping off-peak away from business hours suits me.

If you want to change something, sweeten the deal for those of us stuck on ADSL1 (thanks to Telstra, yeah I know) who are paying more to get less. It hurts every time I see how good the people with ADSL2 have it.

-Chris

3&20

Post by 3&20 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:43 pm

G00f wrote:For my $0.02 I am quite happy with how things are.
I often work from home and use VoIP, so keeping off-peak away from business hours suits me.

If you want to change something, sweeten the deal for those of us stuck on ADSL1 (thanks to Telstra, yeah I know) who are paying more to get less. It hurts every time I see how good the people with ADSL2 have it.

-Chris
Same boat mate. Murder by "monopoly". It's not Exetels fault.

3&20

Where did my first post go?

2am-8am is fine.

How about 2pm-4pm.

Now go.

joeman

Post by joeman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi there,

I have two thoughts that echo others' previously stated.

1) Keeping the off-peak time longer (10-12 hours) is better for me personally, even if it means lowering the download limit for that period. However I know that there are other users don't like that idea so in fairness I present my second thought:

2) I also agree that user customization/control over their own peak/off-peak period that is within reason and fairness and allows for smoothness all-round for everybody, would be probably the best solution.

I assume (though I don't know) that most people would be happy to stick to whatever is dished out by Exetel as their standard package/plan (similar to current schedules/plans) and that the users who care about managing their download time usage to suit their own schedules would be indeed grateful for the flexibility and customization offered.

Thank you Exetel once again for listening and for caring about your customer's desires.

Joe

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:23 pm

With the plan I've changed to recently I sort of miss the off-peak period extending into the morning further but really, it's academic as we only use 3-4GB a month total. I would like to use ABC iView which would be during peak period. Maybe you could consider iView as being metered but it counts towards your off-peak quota (or by some multiplier, ie, 1GB of iView in peak equates to 2GB off-peak usage).

Godde

Post by Godde » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Looking at the graph I think extending it into the midday might be viable. Definitely don't want more congestion around midnight.

kelw

Post by kelw » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:32 pm

My two cents worth: - I think extending the off peak from 1200 to 1500 would help to level off the graph. There is not a lot in it.
Regards, Kelw :)
Kel White
Exetel user since 2004

aamiree1

Post by aamiree1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 pm

It would be wise to increase quota and return to a 12am -12pm off peak time. Ie, 12 hours peak, 12 off. specially for user like me who hardly use 10-12 gig per month and also after having admin fee of $3 dollars.
cheers

D0R0THY

Post by D0R0THY » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:27 pm

I would like to see a return of late morning off-peak, say 12-12 again. I'm not a downloader, but if my kids want to watch stuff on you tube, they can do it in the morning.

tc4101

Post by tc4101 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:27 pm

12-12pm

why do i have to wait till 4am to use my bandwidth riduculos? normal people goto sleep at 11pm. for those who game up to 4am, why dont you sleep earlier and wake up when normal people do an go hard on gaming during the day when normal people are at work.