Off Peak Periods

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
mjmcss

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by mjmcss » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 am

I'd really love it if we could have the offpeak period from 4am till 10am. I think six hours is generally a long enough window to download big files (from steam, itunes etc) but I'd really like to be able to get up early and stream some television shows from ABC iView and the Channel Ten website, just so some of the offpeak time is actually usable to human beings.

Thanks,

Matt

Psyfy

Post by Psyfy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 am

Shrude wrote:
Psyfy wrote:such as service packs, ISO´s, OS´s, patches, firmware etc.
Really? You need a specific provision to download this stuff? Is there THAT much of updates and patches and firmware that you need that requires you to monitor the allowance for it??
Last i saw firmware was like less than a MB for example and might need it , what? once every 2 years?

Sounds like BS! Who you trying to kid?
Yes, It all adds up... I currently download about 40Gb per month between 9am and 12pm as part of what I do.

What do you do for living... Blog after 12pm? :)

TravAlt

Post by TravAlt » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:03 am

I wouldn't mind sacrificing quota if the time was extended.

David R

Post by David R » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 am

Okay, I'll bite; I'd like to see an "off-peak" with a new twist for Exetel.

1) examine the HSPA MRT's to see just where the true peak is. You'd expect the highest number of interactive users there. The money generator. That is between 1700-2300 *6HOURS* everday, without fail.

2) Once You've found the peak, you may define the off-peak\ 'benefits' as follows.:

Introduce "Counted Multiplier A"
- for all New Sales and existing customers based < 2years time with exetel.

Introduce "Counted Multiplier B"
- for long term, loyal customers of Exetel, (additional to counted multipier A).

" 'Multiplier A" enables your _peak_ quota to run down at a 0.75X-rate (discount), So a customer who buys '100 GB' may flex those downloads to 125GB by simply downloading in 2300-1700 'timeslot' allocated. *18HOURS*, amazing.

- No marketing BS required ~thanks, appreciated -

Now, for the twist. Customers > 2years time with Exetel will be afforded a Super generous bonus. We will not only receive the '0.75X benefit' but a 2nd multiplier B to enhance it, for '2300-0800 allocated' to timeslotB. This will multiply whatever downloads Counted in 2300-0800 *9HOURS* by 0.25X, meaning that 100GB might be flexed to 400GB.

This is _sophisticated_ architecture^; How about it ?
Last edited by David R on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

tc4101

Post by tc4101 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:03 pm

^^^

geez people couldnt even understand when "unlimited" = 1.5x's the average ~= 84GB

so how is anyone going to understand wha tyou just wrote above.

wallyv

Post by wallyv » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:24 pm

I would like to see off peak/peak times returned 12.00 midnight to 12.00 midday,or 12.00 midnight-12.00 10.00 am

Swish

Post by Swish » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:00 pm

I hate the new off peak time. It's a rip off for me ... because some people are shift or late night workers and can not really make use the off peak time because is not long enough... and not everyone is at home or... can not get up at 7am--till 10am to take advantages of this. A lot of people who arrive home from work around 1am to 3am need to sleep until 10am, so they really have no chance of using the OFF peak time... with the old plan.. you could use it from 1 until 3am plus or from 10am until 12midday (same with shift workers)... so most people had an oppurtunity to take advantntage at some OFF peak time.

There are many other competitors coming up with large download amounts you can uses 24/7... it may be worth looking around... as I feel I have lost what I choose the Exetel in the first place. I reckon the 12am till 12pm... was a MUCH fairer system for all ... considering that was the selling point or feature why I choose to go with Exetel !!!

niouton

Post by niouton » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:11 pm

I'd like being able to set up my downloads before going to bed if I didn't plan them before and downloading the daily podcasts I follow before going to work.
So something like 23h to 9h would be a lot better than the current 2am-8am which is very short.

awtm

Post by awtm » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Personally I think the current offpeak time is too short. I recently changed plans, on the old plan I was getting offpeak from 2am-12 and was a bit cheesed off when I noticed that my offpeak hours suddenly had almost halved. Although now I'm not as concerned about it. Though I would like to be able to use some offpeak allowance for surfing again.

wooknic

Post by wooknic » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Psyfy wrote:
Shrude wrote:
Psyfy wrote:such as service packs, ISO´s, OS´s, patches, firmware etc.
Really? You need a specific provision to download this stuff? Is there THAT much of updates and patches and firmware that you need that requires you to monitor the allowance for it??
Last i saw firmware was like less than a MB for example and might need it , what? once every 2 years?

Sounds like BS! Who you trying to kid?
Yes, It all adds up... I currently download about 40Gb per month between 9am and 12pm as part of what I do.

What do you do for living... Blog after 12pm? :)
Not BS, I gather you dont keep your PCs firmware or OS updated. you should...

running a number of winodws based cumputer here including a small business server, often the patches & updates to sercurity programs are 400-500mb per month each.
recently updated firmware on a new motherboard that was over 5mb, the drivers updates,support update were nearly 1gb.

kai999

Post by kai999 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:15 pm

a selection setting on the members page to choose your peak hours or to split them! the 2pm to 6pm would be good for me as i do a lot of my downloading in that time period! The extra peak download allowances given on the ADSL 2 plans has been helpful already! thanks for that!

daza

Post by daza » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:38 pm

It's good to see a few users are happy with existing arrangements for off-peak, however in the interests of maintaining and attracting new customers, I would like to see off-peak extended (back) to 12 midnight - 12 noon.

When joining Exetel and recommending them to friends & family, I had always considered generous off-peak to be one of the most appealing factors.

Bringing it back to 12 - 12 would be great to see. A lot of high-use customers would have already adjusted to the different time period (4am-10am) and therefore the spike in traffic at midnight may not be as bad as it has been.

With peak usage increasing as much as it is, I don't think spikes at midnight are a concern any longer.

Or, re-introduce the 'flexible' off-peak option, 12 hours at your discretion. Perhaps make a 'pool' (was this already in place before?) where a maximum percentage users can be in any one pool at any time.

Whatever the change (and it will be greatly appreciated), I hope it is easy to follow for new customers and existing novice ones. An extended off-peak period would also boost Exetel's competitiveness in the wake of unlimited plans and cheap bundling from others.

Cheers

bplummer

Post by bplummer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:50 pm

good idea guys i signed up to adsl 2 believing that my offpeak would be 12 to 12 as it has always been . and because the hours of all the individual plans was not stated on the members site ( that has been changed now because of my complaint ) i am stuck with offpeak time that is completly useless to me ( i work nights and never get out of bed before 10 am) they told me that i can look elsewhere but i would prefer to stay

zealotman

Post by zealotman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 am

If I want to do something that consumes huge amount of data (not simply downloading something by kicking off a scheduler, but performing some tasks that require human interaction), and the off-peak hour is 12am to 12pm, I could either:

1. Start doing it after 12 (before I go to sleep)
2. Start after I get up (I could get up earlier accordingly)

Suppose the off-peak-hour is changed to, say 2am-12pm, I could only choose to do it after I get up. If it's 4am-8am or whatever, I could only use my peak-hour download quota for those tasks, which is absolutely inconvenient and unacceptable.

For me, two things must be satisfied:

1. The start time of off-peak must no later than 12am.
2. The off-peak period must be no shorter than 12 hours.

If they are not satisfied, I have to go for other plans or even other ISPs.

I agreed with LaufromKB that exetel could consider letting users propose their off-peak period and the start time. Exetel can then decide if an individual's proposal is approved or not. For me, 9pm-9am, 10pm-10am, 11pm-11am and 12am to 12pm are all acceptable.

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:38 am

zealotman wrote: For me, two things must be satisfied:

1. The start time of off-peak must no later than 12am.
2. The off-peak period must be no shorter than 12 hours.
I think that's a bit excessive! Off peak is more of a bonus (which has been extended for years and sort of become defacto for plans). I would hope off peak is no more than 12 hours. But I agree with starting at 12am.

User defined off peak slots seems cool. If it's first come first serve, Exetel can control total bandwidth allocation as well.