Off Peak Periods

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
David R

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by David R » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 pm

I think I'll likely need to transfer out to get resold Telstra_ADSL2+ at a reasonable price , but on the off chance management can address...

A) scrap the account\admin fee in time for next month

B) abolish the practice of meter charges (excess charges in today's environment???)

C) NO changes to existing (0200-1400,12hr)Off-peak slots, us being cool customers

...It shall give me pause for thought. Because It's about formatting broadband the right way, of course.

In the twelve months to Nov-2010 I had consumed 251 gbytes (down+up) and provided Exetel=786 AUD. That is $3.12878 per GB & not bad in revenue terms p.a... but it would appear there are choices in the market with less expense now, on the Telstra wholesale netwrk. Last chance Exetel to scrap those charges I don't like....
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

tmodel

Post by tmodel » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi
Thanks for the opportunity to comment. As i have just recently changed plans the restricted hours for off peak are certainly limiting my browsing. I would like Exetel to
1. Offer customers a variety of options to select the off time period.
2. Return to my previous off peak period of 2am to 2pm
Many thanks

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:50 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:The current off peak period implementations have been very successful in spreading the 'heavy' use of the the network over the lesser used periods of the day.
So if it's worked, why change anything?!

Lbucci

Post by Lbucci » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Taking all the self interests out of the equation, I believe a 12hr period is a must for Exetel to maintain a competitive edge in the market place. Also, giving a choice for periods is unique and useful to consumers and is a differentiator for Exetel.

The aim of this excises is to control the Bandwidth capacity usage and from allowing the speed to fall to an unusable level at midnight. (From Memory)

Perhaps adding an off-Peak from 3:00am to 3:00pm would assist with controlling bandwidth. Most people would be asleep at 3:00am in the morning and then for next twelve hours (Monday to Friday) most users would be at work or at school.

1am to 1pm, 2am to 2pm, 3am to 3 pm should all be workable for most people but more importantly the stress off the network is released.

In saying that there seems to be a need from users for 12:00am and before. But that period before 12am is normally a peak period, from a business perspective, changing/allowing off-peak in the time slot between 4pm and 11 pm would defeat the Peak period concept. Peak period is there to control what is not controlled in the off-peak.

Vaust

Post by Vaust » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:56 pm

hey guys,

i disagree with 12 -12 because that defeats the purpose of having a higher peak for me....

12- 6 or 12-8 is a great idea! or anything earlier than the standard 4-10...

and a happy hour at 6pm-7pm :D im asking to much haha worth a try

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Vaust wrote:hey guys,

i disagree with 12 -12 because that defeats the purpose of having a higher peak for me....

The purpose of offering a six hour uncharged period is so that a customer can do all of their downloads in that period and therefore 'preserving' the other 18 hours of the day for non-download internet activities.

6 hours a day allows between 120 gb and 180 gb to be downloaded - depending on the speed of the line actually achieved.

Extending the time will, for 99.99% of Exetel's current users actually provide no more useful downloading ability - they don't download that much currently.

Extending the off peak time period beyond 6 hours will reduce the 'peak' period counting of data towards the plans allowance and would benefit some users as they would be 'awake' to use the time for general internet usage.

With the amount of peak allowance now included in most Exetel plans this may not turn out to be of benefit to that many users.

Very, very few Exetel customers actually exceed their peak download allowances.

What seems to be of value, reading the replies to this thread, is that so many Exetel customers do not understand how to use a download manager.

OvaLoaded

Post by OvaLoaded » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi - haven't been with exetel that long but so far really impressed with the whole service. :P

I have read some of the other posts and I can only contribute the hours I would like to become offpeak, namely 8.00am extended to 10.00am.

I am not awake soon enough for the current offpeak hours. I get up at 7.00am but only use it a little before it cuts out at 8.00am.

I am sure if any changes are made exetel will say this is a trial extension. So if the system sucks too much bandwidth the changes can be reversed.

Thanks

Stephen

OvaLoaded

Post by OvaLoaded » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:31 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Vaust wrote:
What seems to be of value, reading the replies to this thread, is that so many Exetel customers do not understand how to use a download manager.
I guess, but also I don't like leaving computers running all night. None of my bigger downloads are really that important.

What amazes me is how much bandwidth web surfing uses. I use the net a lot and webpages these days just seem to chew through the bandwidth.

Cheers Stephen

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:24 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Vaust wrote:hey guys,

The purpose of offering a six hour uncharged period is so that a customer can do all of their downloads in that period and therefore 'preserving' the other 18 hours of the day for non-download internet activities.

6 hours a day allows between 120 gb and 180 gb to be downloaded - depending on the speed of the line actually achieved.

Extending the time will, for 99.99% of Exetel's current users actually provide no more useful downloading ability - they don't download that much currently.

Extending the off peak time period beyond 6 hours will reduce the 'peak' period counting of data towards the plans allowance and would benefit some users as they would be 'awake' to use the time for general internet usage.

With the amount of peak allowance now included in most Exetel plans this may not turn out to be of benefit to that many users.

Very, very few Exetel customers actually exceed their peak download allowances.

Bash Steam for me, they still have no scheduler. The work around at the moment is to start your downloads in Steam, close Steam, create a scheduled task in the Windows Scheduler that runs Steam at a certain time, create a BAT file that closes Steam, create a scheduled task in the Windows Scheduler that runs the BAT at a certain time.

A nasty annoying work around to schedule your Steam downloads but it works. I still loathe the Scheduler in Vista/7 compared to XP and older. Do note that opening Steam resumes any downloads that were active when Steam was closed.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Franpa wrote:Bash Steam for me, they still have no scheduler.
I reluctantly purchased a license for NetLimiter Pro.

When I download games, I shape Steam to 64kbps during the peak period. Don't forget to pause the steam downloads and disable the NetLimiter rule once you want to play a Steam game though! Otherwise you will be waiting a while for the game to initiate.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Wow. I got to page 4 and gave up, so much finger pointing. In response to some comments, not Exetel, stop telling people what to do with the bandwidth they pay for, they dont tell you what to do with yours. Its torrenters, download managers yadda yadda blahdy blah, it should be for important stuff like gamers or business. I could say to gamers grow up and get a job, games are for children, if you have a job but youve still got time to play games, get another job and be more productive, god knows the nation needs it. But I wont, its your business, your account/bandwidth/data, your money that pays for it and your life and none of my business, live and be happy. For business users, try an ISP that charges top dollar instead of looking for a bargain, but again, its your business, so I wont say that either :mrgreen: . People use the net for all sorts of purposes, thats between them and Exetel. Whats the heirarchy of importance, where does your facebooking fit into it? How is a game more important than say medical research? Its not, but you pay, so importance is based on your needs.

Exetel have to manage usage for all users, fair enough, they apparently have some surplus, they want to allow all of us to utilise it, brilliant. I have to say Ive not had an issue with Exetel, they have been brilliant so far and this offer just proves that there is a differnce between this ISP and the others. Its sad that a company is trying a different model for these decisions, and people just want to blame other users. No wonder other ISP's dont bother.

Sorry for the rant, but I get sick of busybodies sticking their noses in other peoples business as if its their god given right. We all pay the same amount for any given plan, and we pay our own hard earned to use the net for our needs.

d5.lam

Post by d5.lam » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Better Gary wrote: We all pay the same amount for any given plan, and we pay our own hard earned to use the net for our needs.
Well said lol.
ForumAdmin wrote:
Extending the time will, for 99.99% of Exetel's current users actually provide no more useful downloading ability - they don't download that much currently...
..What seems to be of value, reading the replies to this thread, is that so many Exetel customers do not understand how to use a download manager.
So from what you're saying is that bandwidth between those times won't apply pressure to congestion? I mean you're from exetel so would know more so I won't argue. But one of the things i love about exetel is the 12-12 offpeak times. i'm sure everyone is here for it. I had thought the reason for taking down the offpeak times in the first place was due to congestion.

If it doesn't hurt I would say bring it back or bring most of it back. Also as said not everything can be scheduled or 'planned ahead' that's why having generous offpeak times helps heaps with those impulsive downloads.
Furthermore I don't like to leave my PC on or wake up to turn it on in the middle of the night for a download to happen. Leaving it on is a Waste of electricity and defeats the purpose of trying to be environmentally friendly. However that is my choice/problem.

But yeah i do believe if you're looking for more customers generous offpeak times will bring in more

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:02 pm

The only issue with 12 midnight to 12 noon off peak was far too many people decided to start downloading at 12 midnight - they apparently had never heard of download schedulers.

Since we moved new plans first to a 2am start and then to a 4 am start the 12 midnight congestion issue has been resolved...as you can see from the graph.

tc4101

Post by tc4101 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Vaust wrote: What seems to be of value, reading the replies to this thread, is that so many Exetel customers do not understand how to use a download manager.

its just damm inconvenient. sometimes i want something RIGHT NOW. so at 12am i want to start it before i sleep. or i wanna download something so i can watch it as i goto sleep....

yeah can use download manager, but somtimes the downloads dont start or fail. or sometimes u just forget to set it.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 am

Just as a heads up for those wanting to download but not leave machines on over night, some dl managers can be set to shut down the system after they are completed. Wont help with an impulsive dl though, or if youre facing captcha issues.