ADSL2 With Wire Line Option

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

ADSL2 With Wire Line Option

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:10 pm

As you may know, Optus Retail is offering bundled wire line plans with unlimited local, national and calls to Optus mobiles.

VoIP is very inexpensive but it can't match "free".

How attractive would a $60.00 plan be with those calls free, VoIP rates to other mobiles and international and 200 gb downloads any time included?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL2 With Wire Line Option

Post by jokiin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:15 pm

sounds like it would be a great deal, would this be another one of those 'new customers only' type deals?

sujd

Post by sujd » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:As you may know, Optus Retail is offering bundled wire line plans with unlimited local, national and calls to Optus mobiles.

VoIP is very inexpensive but it can't match "free".

How attractive would a $60.00 plan be with those calls free, VoIP rates to other mobiles and international and 200 gb downloads any time included?
Would jump at a plan like this as long as its not too costly to switch from naked, or don't mind signing to contract of say 12 months to keep costs down.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm

jokiin wrote:sounds like it would be a great deal, would this be another one of those 'new customers only' type deals?
It's something being discussed.

Hard to predict what it would turn out to be.

roby

Post by roby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm

sounds good

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Sounds extremely attractive.

Could you clarify your thinking as to whether:
- the free calls would be via PTSN and other calls via VoIP?
- the free calls and other calls would be via PTSN only?
- the free calls and other calls would be via VoIP only?

I understand that Optus have a rock solid Acceptable Use Policy in regards to their unlimited calls offers.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
jokiin wrote:sounds like it would be a great deal, would this be another one of those 'new customers only' type deals?
It's something being discussed.

Hard to predict what it would turn out to be.
I expect that is what they would want, be nice if it were available to all though, good offer

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:34 am

Ravenous wrote:Sounds extremely attractive.

Could you clarify your thinking as to whether:
- the free calls would be via PTSN and other calls via VoIP?
- the free calls and other calls would be via PTSN only?
- the free calls and other calls would be via VoIP only?

I understand that Optus have a rock solid Acceptable Use Policy in regards to their unlimited calls offers.
This would be a PSTN service as defined to Exetel. We would have no reason to doubt that these calls would be switched any differently to the current Optus telephone calls we buy from them.

Having said that Exetel has no way of knowing how any carrier transits calls on it's network.

Col

Post by Col » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:49 am

It's a very, very good offer, but I'm a little confused. The reason for the current cheap bundled ADSL2+ plans has been stated to be the way call costs help recoup profit. But now you are considering offering a plan that is similarly discounted but with most calls free. Granted it is a ploy to just attract more customers, it's just I thought your raison d'etre wasn't to just increase your 'net add'. Hopefully negotiations with your suppliers can help make this type of plan more sustainable and then you can knock the competition over with it :).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Col wrote:It's a very, very good offer, but I'm a little confused. The reason for the current cheap bundled ADSL2+ plans has been stated to be the way call costs help recoup profit. But now you are considering offering a plan that is similarly discounted but with most calls free. Granted it is a ploy to just attract more customers, it's just I thought your raison d'etre wasn't to just increase your 'net add'. Hopefully negotiations with your suppliers can help make this type of plan more sustainable and then you can knock the competition over with it :).
I'm sure you would quickly work out that the carrier's are the people who could make this sort of offer possible. In this difficult market changes happen constantly at a rate I wouldn't have believed possible even three months ago.

Pyotr

Post by Pyotr » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm

"VoIP rates to other mobiles"
I assume this means that calls to non Optus mobiles would be just like other wireline calls, would appear on the wireline bill but be charged at Exetel VOIP rates (22 cents per minute, no flagfall?) rather than at current wireline rates (27 cents per minte, 25 cent flagfall).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Pyotr wrote:"VoIP rates to other mobiles"
I assume this means that calls to non Optus mobiles would be just like other wireline calls, would appear on the wireline bill but be charged at Exetel VOIP rates (22 cents per minute, no flagfall?) rather than at current wirebline rates (27 cents per minute, 25 cent flagf all).
I don't know - but I doubt that would be possible.

Pyotr

Post by Pyotr » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:46 pm

So if not possible, would that mean that we pick up the VOIP phone (and not the wire line phone) to ring a non-Optus mobile?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:12 pm

Pyotr wrote:So if not possible, would that mean that we pick up the VOIP phone (and not the wire line phone) to ring a non-Optus mobile?
That would be what I'd do.

vbap

Post by vbap » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 am

Have noticed the recent Optus fusion promotions increasing downloads limits to 500gb or 1TB, with no excess (ie shaped).
I assume the proposed $60 plan is a variation of the $99 OPtus Fusion retail plan?

Have a couple of concerns reading the details on these plans (which in general are quite attractive, and if Exetel can snag a $60 version, that would be great).

The Optus retail quota, while eliminating peak/offpeak, also eliminates uploads/downloads ie it is a pure traffic quote, 24x7, in any direction. 500gb should still more than cover a "reasonable" user, (certainly in my case) but just wanted to clarify.

The home phone call rates for the non-free stuff (which includes free 13/1300 calls - great!) are
* Standard Calls to non-Optus GSM mobiles within Australia 37c per min ($2.50 Cap for up to 20 minute calls)
* International calls to UK, Canada, USA, NZ, Republic of Ireland 18c per min
[All other int. destinations have various rates]
The mobile rate for non-Optus are quite reasonable for PSTN, but reading the fine print, it seems it is $2.50 for first 20mins, then 37c per minute after that - so a 1min call or a 10 minute call would cost $2.50??? Would like that clarified!