Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:47 am

A January Exetel Customer news letter has been sent to all Exetel customers earlier today advising of a $10.00 price increase per month on all customer plans that are out of contract. This price increase will come into effect on 1st February 2011.

PLEASE NOTE THIS INCREASE DOES NOT AFFECT CUSTOMERS STILL IN CONTRACT

If you didn't receive this email then you would need to look in the user facilities to see that your email address you have nominated for Exetel to contact you on is still current. On your January invoice you will notice there is a reminder to ensure your contact email is correct.

There are also new plans on the Exetel User Facilities which you may prefer to change to and, from Monday next week, there will be no plan change charge should you elect to do this.

You may like to ameliorate the ADSL price increase by signing up for a very low cost Optus mobile plan. By doing this, if it suits your needs, you will receive a $10.00 or $15.00 monthly discount on your ADSL monthly charge.

Over the coming week there will be similar discount offers on wireless plans and VoIP plans as well as a bundled offer for unlimited local, national and Optus mobile calls.

Customers on out of contract plans will be advised by email, three times, throughout January of this situation.

Naked ADSL2 changing to new 'naked' OCV FAQ (04/01/2011)

Q1. Is there an admin charge fee for changing plans?

A. No, there is not. Paying by credit card incurs the standard $1.10 surcharge.

Q2. I have a VOIP service, will this be affected in applying for these new 'naked' ADSL2 plans with the phone?

A. No it will not. Upon applying for the new plan, you will receive a new PSTN

Q.3 But what if I ported my original PSTN to VOIP? Can I revert back?

A.You can, however this is a manual process and takes approximately 5-10 working days to complete.

Q.4 What about with respect to caller ID? Is this optional? Does this cost anything?

A. Outgoing caller ID for your PSTN calls will show as your PSTN number - you can have this masked (shows as "private") but can't make this show as your VOIP number; incoming caller ID costs $3/month charged by supplier (thank you quop)

Q. 5 Are 1300/13 included in the free local/national calls?

No they are not. They are charged as per the standard 30c per call.

Q6. In regards to free calls to Optus mobiles, does this include Optus resellers?

A. Yes.

Q7. How can I apply for this?

For all current naked ADSL2 customers this can be done via your secure user facilities under 'Manage Services -> ADSL'

Q8. How long does it take to complete the change?

All plan changes take effect on the 1st working day of the month. In terms of time for the physical change it takes approximately up to 3 working days to 'revive' the PSTN. For those that ask(when fully available) to opt to revert back to PSTN from their ported VOIP number, this takes around 5-10 working days.

Q9. Any change of plan fee?
No.

Q10. what about if I'm within contract? Do I have pay an exit fee to change plan?
No. What will happen is that you will be asked to renew your contract again. This means a new 12 month contract will begin from when this new plan takes into effect.

Q11. Any peak/off peak with these new plans?

No, the quota given is for the month given.

Q12. Will my I.P stay the same?
Yes.

Q13. What if I have a naked ADSL2 service and I wish to change to these new 'naked' plans but wish to have my previous telephone number that I orginally lost back again?(And you did not port it to VOIP)?Can Exetel do this?.(thanks slave1)

In short No. If you didnt port this number as a voip number, but instead decided to opt in for a naked service and in doing so losing the number means this telephone number is in quarantine with Telstra. As we are utilizing the Optus network it would mean having to 'double port' in going back to Telstra (and thus losing your ADSL2 service) and then going back to Exetel. Highly inefficient in both time and money and hence we dont offer any seamless process in this aspect.

Q14. In selecting a mobile service in conjunction with these new plans do I get a discount?

Yes, as this is already incorporated in the OCV200/19 and OCV200/35 plans.

Q15. Can I port my number to one of these plans in conjunction with ADSL2?

Yes you can.

Q16. What happens if I relocate to a different premises on these new plans within the 12 month contract?

Your contract won't start again. We will use the original sign up date as the start of the 12 month period. Moving to a new place does not restart the contract.

Moleman

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by Moleman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:13 am

I am on a B13 plan and currently out of contract.

It is Naked ADSL2+ and included download is 60GB.

Will I be affected by the price increase?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:22 am

Moleman wrote:I am on a B13 plan and currently out of contract.

It is Naked ADSL2+ and included download is 60GB.

Will I be affected by the price increase?
Yes.

davo

Post by davo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:34 am

Would it be possible to post a copy of the newsletter here please?

I received the monthly "Voice Billing CUST-xxxx" email OK this morning but cannot find a newsletter. I've checked the spam, phishing and deleted boxes and successfully sent a test mail to the address recorded in my Member Facilities/My Details.

Many thanks.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Moleman wrote:Well, for your information this is a business account and previous newsletter items have not applied to my account, such as changes to off-peak. I do not get off-peak with my account. As posted above, I only get 60GB of data per month while other, cheaper plans have significantly more.
You raise an interesting point as the email was sent to residential customers.

Business customers are not affected by this increase.

Osprey06

Post by Osprey06 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Happy new year!

To clarify, is this ONLY for "out of contract" customers? (the e-mail does not state only for "out of contract", but only mentions "old plans"). I just referred two people about about two and four months ago to plans which are no longer listed on your website...but as far as I'm aware, they will still be in contract...so are they affected, or not? (I know for a fact that one of them received the e-mail, as they forwarded it to me asking if they were affected). If this does affect these people in contract, but on "old plans", then I presume Exetel will be waiving exit/contract break fees?

I understand that Exetel tries to maintain a 'low cost' service, but this is exactly why I haven't referred anyone to Exetel in the past - because nothing stays the same!

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Calm down, guys - 'tis the season to be relaxed about life :D

I'm sure that all will be revealed and questions answered over the coming days. If you still have questions once everyone gets back to work later in the week, and your User Facilities don't provide the answers, then by all means post general questions on the Forum and raise specific issues via a ticket to Residential Support in the usual way.

Happy New Year :D

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

soaper

Post by soaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:07 pm

i received my mobile account info but nothing about plan changes
i am listed correctly with my email for notifications and normally receive them

i am AAPT BYO ,out of contract and moving to another house in the hopefully not toooooo distant future.
so i guess i pay the extra til i know when and where i move and redo another contract ???

thanks

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:13 pm

davo wrote:Would it be possible to post a copy of the newsletter here please?

I received the monthly "Voice Billing CUST-xxxx" email OK this morning but cannot find a newsletter. I've checked the spam, phishing and deleted boxes and successfully sent a test mail to the address recorded in my Member Facilities/My Details.

Many thanks.
Have you checked that your contact email is current?

Text of January 2011 News Letter:

Exetel January 2011 Customer News Letter

Revised Plans Available On Exetel Web Site/User Facilities

2010 was, without a shadow of a doubt, the most difficult year of Exetel's seven year existence. From what we can see - 2011, or at least the first half of it, will be just as difficult.
We have continued to try and offer the lowest priced plans with the highest download and other inclusions available from any provider who actually fully provisions the network to handle all traffic volumes at all times.
We have had to allow for a higher average usage per customer and, much more impacting, the fact that the original 'sign on bonuses' provided by the carrier have long since been 'amortised' and therefore the cost of each of the out of contract plans has effectively risen.
Because Exetel has allowed these older plans to remain in use the actual cost of providing these plans has risen by the amount of the 'sign on bonus' provided by the carrier to Exetel and then passed on to the customer by Exetel as has always been our practice.
Exetel have absorbed these 'price increases' for all of the 'old plans' for, in some cases, over four years now. We can't continue to absorb these costs any longer.
So you will find on the web site and the Exetel User Facilities new plans for most services which you are welcome to change to at any time of your choosing.
If you do not change your current Exetel plan (or, sadly, see your best interests being served by moving away from Exetel) you may continue to remain on your current ADSL plan but, from 1st February 2011, the monthly charge will increase by $10.00 per month for each 'old plan'.
You can get a $10.00 discount from your ADSL plan monthly charge by signing up for a $19.00 per month 'capped' mobile plan or you can get a $15.00 discount a month from your ADSL plan by signing up for a $35.00 per month 'capped' mobile plan. Both of these mobile plans use the Optus network.
If there was ANY other alternative available to us we wouldn't have asked you to consider changing plans or paying more for your current plan. After months of discussions with our carriers and internally this is the very best we can do.

Extension To Off Peak Periods

Since Exetel first introduced an 8 hour peak period on March 1st 2004 we have made a change to either the time frame or the duration on an average of 1.3 times per year. Most often these changes have been positive, on 2 occasions they have been 'negative'. The basis for making these changes has always been to provide the benefit of 'idle times' on the Exetel network to its customers.
We increased the 6 hour off peak periods to 8 hours on 1st December 2010. We will now increase those off peak periods by another two hours (to ten hours per day).

From 12.01 am on January 1st 2011 the following off peak periods will be increased from 6 hours to 8 hours:

2 am to 10 am will be increased to 2 am to 12 noon
4 am to 10 am will be increased to 4 am to 2 pm.
No changes will be made to the older plans that have a 12 midnight to 12 noon off peak period.

ADSL Plan Discounts

To get a $10.00 per month or $15.00 per month discount from your monthly ADSL plan check out these offers:
http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-mo ... -plans.php

Network Development

As advised in the past two newsletters we have been ordering new equipment and entering into new contracts with various suppliers to continue the major upgrades to the Exetel network. This is a major set of tasks but the current status is:

1. 10Gbps Sydney network
- we are replacing our 1Gbps circuits in Sydney with 10Gbps circuits, and adding more redundancy to the metro network. The first new 10Gbps circuit between our Clarence Street and Walker Street POP's was activated in late December. Two more are due to be installed in January, connecting a new POP at the Equinix data centre to Walker Street and Clarence Street. Once completed we will have a 'triangle' of inter-connectivity providing dual path redundancy at each site.

2. Equinix POP - We have commissioned a new POP at Equinix. The first connection at that site will be 1.2Gbps of Internet bandwidth from NTT, which we expect to be available by the end of January.

3. 2nd circuits to Melbourne and Brisbane - We have on order for January a 500Mbps circuit from AAPT to Melbourne. This will operate along side the existing circuits from Nextgen, giving us dual path redundancy (and significantly upgrading our Sydney - Melbourne bandwidth). The introduction of the new NTT bandwidth, and generally reduced bandwidth pricing, plus the much lower inter-capital costs this new circuit represents, enables us to increase our supply of bandwidth to all States from Sydney over the next six months.

4. A 2nd POP in Melbourne
- we have had this on the drawing board for some time, and will be commissioning the second location, at the Primus Data Centre, at the same time the new AAPT Syd-Mel circuit is completed. A second POP in Melbourne will reduce our backhaul costs from Tasmania, as well as giving us dual site redundancy in Melbourne.

5. Auckland POP - We have ordered 100Mbps of cross-Tasman bandwidth from Vocus, and we are in the process of selecting a POP location in Auckland. The Vocus circuit is scheduled for April, and in conjunction with local loop providers in New Zealand, we will be able to offer VPN and transit solutions to and from New Zealand to any Australian company who wants it.

6. Optus EoC
- at long (long) last, the cross connect circuits for this are scheduled for installation for all States. This will mean we can terminate the customers traffic locally, rather than it terminating in Sydney as it does now. These circuits are also due for late January.

7. Cloud Service Virtual Hosting
- we nearing the completion of our first virtual hosting server, which is the simplest entry level, and the first of what we see as being many 'cloud' services we can use these servers for.
The equipment has started to arrive for all the new circuits - also upgrading our installed router base from the mid-range 7xxx series routers that have served us so well, to 10Gbps capable switches and 6500/720 Supervisor Engine routers. The integration of this equipment will substantially improve the flexibility of our network to offer a new range of customer services.

Our provisioning personnel have been working hard to get all the circuits in on schedule, despite the numerous reasons suppliers always seem to find not to do that. Ideally, you will never see any sign that this work is taking place, or know it has happened until someone announces it - that is, it all happens with no disruption to the network at all.
Once complete, this will be the biggest change to our network since, well, since it was initially built. It will give us a four times capacity increase, while lowering our overall cost, double our redundancy, and simplify network management.

Current Services Provided By Exetel In Sri Lanka

We continue to make progress in further increasing the knowledge of all Sri Lankan personnel who answer telephone calls or emails on support, provisioning, billing or sales queries.
This is done by ongoing, one to one, training based on a monthly test that is set to determine each individual employee's knowledge levels and where there ay be gaps in those knowledge levels. Where there are apparent gaps in any required knowledge, individual training sessions are held to ensure the subject(s) are more fully understood.
The latest call wait times for sales, provisioning and technical support services can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27043

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:14 pm

soaper wrote:i received my mobile account info but nothing about plan changes

i am AAPT BYO ,out of contract and moving to another house in the hopefully not toooooo distant future.
so i guess i pay the extra til i know when and where i move and redo another contract ???

thanks
That would be best unless your move is a long way away.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Osprey06 wrote:Happy new year!

To clarify, is this ONLY for "out of contract" customers? (the e-mail does not state only for "out of contract", but only mentions "old plans"). I just referred two people about about two and four months ago to plans which are no longer listed on your website...but as far as I'm aware, they will still be in contract...so are they affected, or not? (I know for a fact that one of them received the e-mail, as they forwarded it to me asking if they were affected). If this does affect these people in contract, but on "old plans", then I presume Exetel will be waiving exit/contract break fees?

I understand that Exetel tries to maintain a 'low cost' service, but this is exactly why I haven't referred anyone to Exetel in the past - because nothing stays the same!
IT ONLY APPLIES TO CUSTOMER'S WHO ARE OUT OF CONTRACT

soaper

Post by soaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
soaper wrote:i received my mobile account info but nothing about plan changes

thanks
That would be best unless your move is a long way away.
thanks FA

with any luck it will be in the same exchange area and i would again choose AAPT i suspect

dweeks

Post by dweeks » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi,

I'm on OTA and out of contract, so I'm expecting a $10 per month price increase. I'm happy to change to OT30, but it looks like there's a $40 plan change fee ($20 if taking up another 12 month contract). Could this be waived for users affected by the price increase?

Best regards,

Derek

MikeW

Post by MikeW » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:41 pm

So why is it that being on a Corporate Plan only sees me being able to see standard non-corporate plans under the 'change service' option?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:49 pm

dweeks wrote:Hi,

I'm on OTA and out of contract, so I'm expecting a $10 per month price increase. I'm happy to change to OT30, but it looks like there's a $40 plan change fee ($20 if taking up another 12 month contract). Could this be waived for users affected by the price increase?

Best regards,

Derek
From Forum Admin's first post on this thread
There are also new plans on the Exetel User Facilities which you may prefer to change to and, from Monday next week, there will be no plan change charge should you elect to do this.
Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal