Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 pm

hardya wrote:Is there any way of changing (possibly through applying for a new service, as it is not an option in user facilities) from ADSL2 with Telephone (Plan OTA out-of-contract) to ADSL2 "Naked" OCV200 Plan 12 month contract (which comes with a non-crippled phone anyway) AND to keep my existing phone number as the new non-crippled PSTN number? (or do i have to lose my number)??
please email:

paulp@exetel.com.au

hardya

Post by hardya » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Just a note for Admin, on the main ADSL2 pricing page, Naked ADSL2 tab (http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php), the 'OCV' plans appear to have been mislabelled as 'OT' plans (though correct plan labels appear when you click on 'order' and proceed further).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:28 pm

d5.lam wrote:
chrisphillips73 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Again, I remain puzzled as to why anyone thinks paying 10 cents for a VoIP call is somehow an advantage over paying zero for a PSTN call.
I could be wrong, but the implication is that 'free' is generally not, and the customer is paying indirectly through some other 'fee' (maybe the monthly fee in this case) for something that they don't want/need.....
I had come to believe the free calls were only to optus landlines, optus national landlines and optus mobiles. Is this right or is it FREE únlimited to ANY landline/national landline (even if it is say, 200 calls) and then extra FREE calls to optus mobiles?

If that is the case then it isn't too bad. I mean i probably make ~80 landline calls and $10 worth of mobile calls. so won't save too much but is good to have
The free calls are to ANY local, national or Optus mobile number.

I don't know how any other view could be held but..........

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:30 pm

hardya wrote:Just a note for Admin, on the main ADSL2 pricing page, Naked ADSL2 tab (http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php), the 'OCV' plans appear to have been mislabelled as 'OT' plans (though correct plan labels appear when you click on 'order' and proceed further).
Thank you - I'll get it fixed.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:36 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
So "naked' has absolutely no value to an end user at all - it was some sort of marketing con that some people seemed to find value with for reasons that were never clear to me or anyone else at Exetel.

Optus is subsidising the free calls on this offer so take it for what it's worth - free local, national and calls to mobiles - it is a very valuable offer.
From my understanding the advantage of Naked was no line rental fees, so a saving to the end user if they didn't want a home phone. I never thought it would be better than ADSL2+ speed wise. And the free calls are only local and national, not mobiles. I'm in my member services now tossing up whether to switch or look elsewhere.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Waughy wrote:. And the free calls are only local and national, not mobiles..
maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was mentioned the the free calls are local, national and Optus mobiles, other carrier mobiles are charged calls (I think at least)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Waughy wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
So "naked' has absolutely no value to an end user at all - it was some sort of marketing con that some people seemed to find value with for reasons that were never clear to me or anyone else at Exetel.

Optus is subsidising the free calls on this offer so take it for what it's worth - free local, national and calls to mobiles - it is a very valuable offer.
From my understanding the advantage of Naked was no line rental fees, so a saving to the end user if they didn't want a home phone. I never thought it would be better than ADSL2+ speed wise. And the free calls are only local and national, not mobiles. I'm in my member services now tossing up whether to switch or look elsewhere.
Calls to Optus mobiles are no charge.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Just looked again, yes Optus mobiles are free calls. Apologies for missing that.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:52 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Calls to Optus mobiles are no charge.
Optus have a large share of the mobile market anyway so that's a good thing, how do they treat calls to resellers of Optus mobile services either Exetel (CAP or HSPA) or others such as TPG, Amyasim etc, do they differentiate at all or is it all Optus from their point of view? I think any other it includes is a bonus but it does make the plan even better value if so

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Jokiin ForumAdmin posted a reply to me earlier in the thread indicating that virgin mobiles would be considered to be part of the free calls. So i would assume that all resellers regardless of who they are as long as they are on the optus network would be free. Great deal indeed. I have been using voip about a good 5 years now and i cant believe that i will be going back to normal pstn for almost all my calls now.

trk

Post by trk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 pm

We're on the NF/23NOTEL plan, and are able to change to the OCV200 (etc) plans within the members section.... but theres a problem - we've got a "real" phone line already connected. We're not on a naked line.

Are we able to move to the OCV200 plan, and port our existing number? Or does this plan change not actually apply to us after all?
Last edited by trk on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FabFriday

Post by FabFriday » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:26 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Spectator wrote:
You could well be right.

We will look at something like that or a simple PAYU plan for each service type.
If you could do this and offer a profitable service I think that would be ideal for many. Is this likely to occur before decisions customers are required to decide about the naked ADSL upgrade offer? Not trying to hassle you, I just don't want to sign up to that deal (or worse go to another provider) only to find out a deal that meets my needs becomes available soon after.

I think it is probably a little over a year ago that you introduced a range of plans with a lower base cost and and more of a pay for what you use emphasis so there are likely to be a lot of people on those plans either recently out of contract or soon to be out of contract. I think the lowest cost service you were offering was a $35 naked service (with all downloads paid for) whereas the cheapest plan available now across all products (excluding those that require you to pay another telco for line rental) is $55. From memory, I think this approach also helped to reduce demands on the network.

I currently pay $43 per month for a naked DSL service with the highest I've downloaded around 7GB (which on numbers previously provided by FA I think is still profitable for an Optus based service) but typically less than 5GB and go out of contract in a few days . From what I understand my choices include:
- stay on current plan but pay $53 per month from 1 April;
- take up the upgrade from naked offer for $60 per month which includes a generous allowance of free calls (but as I currently pay around $6 per month for voip to another provider and don't really want to mess around with my current voip arrangements and numbers this is not as appealing to me as it seems)
- change to an ADSL2 plan the cheapest of which is $55 but requires me to pay a fee of about $98 for reconnecting the wireline
- change to another provider.

As I don't expect my download habits to dramatically increase, It would be great if there was still a low download low cost option to either stay on naked or move to a wireline plus ADSL bundle.
We could look at a $50.00 plan with 10 gb of downloads and with the included free local, national and calls to Optus mobiles.

I don't know why you say the free calls would be on no use to you - they are free - and they don't affect your inbound arrangements if you really want to stay with another VoIP provider. So if the free calls were used you would save whatever you are spending with another provider on those call types and would not be spending very much more than you are today.
I'm on the same plan as Spectator and my downloads are similar. I'd be more interested in a $50/10gb plan than a $60/200gb plan as well. Similarly, as I am in contract to my mobile service provider for another 12 months on a very generous cap plan, I have no real need for the PSTN or free calls at this point in time. I would certainly be more interested in 12 months time though!

stancartmanson

Post by stancartmanson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 am

TPG
ADSL2+ with home phone, TOTAL price $65 a month.
UNLIMITED internet, no restrictions, 24hrs a day
UNLIMITED Local phone calls, 24hrs a day, to ANY local number

I think this may be the new plan and ISP for me.

Otherwise I'll be paying $75 a month for 60GB peak and no included phone calls. I'm not sure what the point of staying with Exetel is now.

lenvik

Post by lenvik » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:28 am

Am I correct in assuming that the OCV plans have no peak or offpeak and that the 200gb limit applies to the whole of each day across the month?

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:04 am

lenvik wrote:Am I correct in assuming that the OCV plans have no peak or offpeak and that the 200gb limit applies to the whole of each day across the month?
That's the way I see it, and it doesn't bother me too much. The ONB plan I'm on now has 30 peak and 180 off peak, so in total I'm only 10Gb a monthless than current, and I don't go anywhere near using it, so no issue for me.