Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:33 am

nihonjin wrote:Jokiin ForumAdmin posted a reply to me earlier in the thread indicating that virgin mobiles would be considered to be part of the free calls. So i would assume that all resellers regardless of who they are as long as they are on the optus network would be free. Great deal indeed. I have been using voip about a good 5 years now and i cant believe that i will be going back to normal pstn for almost all my calls now.
be a good bonus if the calls to resellers are included, still good value even if not, Virgin is owned by Optus so I guess including those calls isn't too much of a stretch

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 am

lenvik wrote:Am I correct in assuming that the OCV plans have no peak or offpeak and that the 200gb limit applies to the whole of each day across the month?
Correct.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:21 am

jokiin wrote:
nihonjin wrote:Jokiin ForumAdmin posted a reply to me earlier in the thread indicating that virgin mobiles would be considered to be part of the free calls. So i would assume that all resellers regardless of who they are as long as they are on the optus network would be free. Great deal indeed. I have been using voip about a good 5 years now and i cant believe that i will be going back to normal pstn for almost all my calls now.
be a good bonus if the calls to resellers are included, still good value even if not, Virgin is owned by Optus so I guess including those calls isn't too much of a stretch
"It also includes unlimited local, national and calls to Optus mobiles if you wish to do that while using your VoIP service for all other call types."

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 am

stancartmanson wrote:
Otherwise I'll be paying $75 a month for 60GB peak and no included phone calls. I'm not sure what the point of staying with Exetel is now.
An unfortunate first post to contain so many errors of fact.

OCV plan is $60.00 for 200 gb anytime PLUS:

"It also includes unlimited local, national and calls to Optus mobiles if you wish to do that while using your VoIP service for all other call types."

....and of course - the Exetel offer includes a real PSTN line.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:30 am

trk wrote:We're on the NF/23NOTEL plan, and are able to change to the OCV200 (etc) plans within the members section.... but theres a problem - we've got a "real" phone line already connected. We're not on a naked line.

Are we able to move to the OCV200 plan, and port our existing number? Or does this plan change not actually apply to us after all?
Yes.

thecraw

Post by thecraw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:13 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
gong_guy wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: You might like to consider the costs of providing a 1500/256 ADSL1 connection to a customer:

Monthly port cost - a little over $30.00
12 gbps of back haul - a little over $5.50
12 gbps of IP - a little over $5.00
Support/Billing/Provisioning/Overheads - a little under $1.50

So, at the very best, Exetel would make $3.00 profit from providing you a service at your estimate of a minimum 12 gbps of use and would lose money at your stated 20 gb per month. We have to rely on other users of your plan using much less than you do for a $50.00 per month charge breaking even.
I believe there is an always profitable market segment you are ignoring.

The low usage customer who does not want an off-peak period.

How about a $40 1500 plan with 4 or 5 GB of 24hr data with $1 per GB excess?

You would never lose money, the more they use the more you make.
You could well be right.

We will look at something like that or a simple PAYU plan for each service type.
Just like to add my thoughts to the comments above.

My elderly parents on a Telstra only regional exchange use an average of 1-2G a month including off peak. They peaked at 2.2G when I visited and downloaded updates for their PC. Perhaps they are in the minority now.... Your cost base , if I am reading it right, allows you to provide a low usage plan unlike many(probably all) other providers with such high overheads.

There was the 1500x plan which was $38 15/12G. As per the comments above if that usage was stripped back to around 4/4 or even less would a $40 price point be achievable, or as you mention a PAYU plan would be great for someone like my parents.

willsy

Post by willsy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:28 am

I'm on the OND naked plan, currently on contract till around august 2011 i beleive (been with exetel for around 4-5 years all up, had to go back on contract as i moved address).

On my members page it lists that i can change to the new OCV200 plan and get back my telephone line as a "special offer" but when i click the apply button it just comes with a sort of error page saying "You cannot view details."

Am i not eligible for this change as i'm still on contract?? even though it says i can apply for it in my members page?, i would much rather be on the 200GB all day type plan instead of the 90/180gb peak/off peak plan and get my phone line back for normal calls.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 am

thecraw wrote:...My elderly parents...Perhaps they are in the minority now....provide a low usage plan...
I feel compelled to add to this. Cut a long rant short a low usage plan would be highly appreciated.

[rant]

Code: Select all

My adsl account usage (from a married couple under 30 y.o.) has not exceeded much beyond 12 GB during the last 12 months and as low as 6 GB over the last 12 months, in fact the average looks to be steady just below 10 GB. I take advantage of off-peak downloads when there is a new ubuntu image or there is a old game from steam for cheap (latest craze was Monkey Island, love it), this has not exceeded 25 GB and minimum is less than 1 GB, use of this period highly ad-hoc month-to-month. 

Take my cousin-in-law's account usage (this is a married mid-30's couple with four kids two of which are teenage) who I 'lite agent' for. Over the last several months their usage had not exceeded 7GB and have no use for off-peak (has never exceeded 2 GB). The only 'blip' was on a former bigpond service where one of the teenagers discovered Limewire which saw their usage exceed I vaguely remember 10 GB then shaped service for most of of the month.  Limewire program was promptly deleted and teenager scorned. Goes to show what difference unchecked file sharing made to usage.

I will never get the marketing behind plans that offer massive download allowances? The only use I see would be for non-legal purposes or highly inefficient IPTV (there is a perfectly cheap, abundant and high bandwidth free-to-air wireless service that delivers 1080 HD with dolby digital). 
[/rant]

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 pm

thecraw wrote:
I believe there is an always profitable market segment you are ignoring.

The low usage customer who does not want an off-peak period.

How about a $40 1500 plan with 4 or 5 GB of 24hr data with $1 per GB excess?

You would never lose money, the more they use the more you make.
You could well be right.

We will look at something like that or a simple PAYU plan for each service type.
Just like to add my thoughts to the comments above.

My elderly parents on a Telstra only regional exchange use an average of 1-2G a month including off peak. They peaked at 2.2G when I visited and downloaded updates for their PC. Perhaps they are in the minority now.... Your cost base , if I am reading it right, allows you to provide a low usage plan unlike many(probably all) other providers with such high overheads.

There was the 1500x plan which was $38 15/12G. As per the comments above if that usage was stripped back to around 4/4 or even less would a $40 price point be achievable, or as you mention a PAYU plan would be great for someone like my parents.
We will try and do that tomorrow.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:02 pm

willsy wrote:I'm on the OND naked plan, currently on contract till around august 2011 i beleive (been with exetel for around 4-5 years all up, had to go back on contract as i moved address).

On my members page it lists that i can change to the new OCV200 plan and get back my telephone line as a "special offer" but when i click the apply button it just comes with a sort of error page saying "You cannot view details."

Am i not eligible for this change as i'm still on contract?? even though it says i can apply for it in my members page?, i would much rather be on the 200GB all day type plan instead of the 90/180gb peak/off peak plan and get my phone line back for normal calls.

I will see why you can't do that. It should be available.

Col

Post by Col » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Another vote for low usage plans here.

Is it possible to bring out some 256/64 and 512/128 plans at $30 and $35 respectively with 5GB or 10GB of quota (no off peak) for all your low usage customers with small budgets who aren't fussed on speed? They could go in the same table as the possible $40 1500/256 plan, if you strip the off peak period from that too.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Col wrote:Is it possible to bring out some 256/64 and 512/128 plans
Doubt it. I reckon plans below 1.5Mbps are obsolete nowadays.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mcsmas

Post by mcsmas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:37 pm

Sorry -- I'm a bit confused by the price increase -- is it applicable to wireless broadband HSPA-only customers?
I did receive the email, so I suspect it applies to me in some way.
I am on a (residential) wireless broadband plan WM-C at $5 per month plus 15c per megabyte.
It's a no-contract plan. I use the Huawei USB modem.
So does the monthly minimum now increase 300% to $15?
Does the charge per megabyte also increase? By how much?

Thank you.
mcsmas

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:44 pm

mcsmas wrote:Sorry -- I'm a bit confused by the price increase -- is it applicable to wireless broadband HSPA-only customers?
I did receive the email, so I suspect it applies to me in some way.
I am on a (residential) wireless broadband plan WM-C at $5 per month plus 15c per megabyte.
It's a no-contract plan. I use the Huawei USB modem.
So does the monthly minimum now increase 300% to $15?
Does the charge per megabyte also increase? By how much?

Thank you.
mcsmas
You are NOT affected - read this earlier post on this thread, by ForumAdmin
viewtopic.php?p=285669#p285669

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Shonky

Post by Shonky » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I have just tried to change over from a Z/21INCTEL plan to OT30. It doesn't work... I just get a blank page when I click submit and nothing in the "Change Service Status" page. Not the first time this sort of thing has happened. The moving targets that are the plans can't help the website guys.

I've emailed residentialsales@extel. I wasn't sure which one to email actually.