Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
supernicko

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by supernicko » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Gidget wrote: Hi Mike

Sorry if I misled you :oops: You might still like to query Exetel directly about this, though, in light of ForumAdmin's earlier post (unless I misinterpreted it and "corporate" doesn't equal "business").

Gidget
I think Mike's plan is a corporate plan in that Exetel offer the employees of a company personal plans at a discounted rate.

As opposed to a business plan for a small business.

Cheers,
Nick

supernicko

Post by supernicko » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I would like to thank Exetel for always trying to find the best value for money for their customers. In this case they have negotiated plans that provide additional bandwidth at similar cost to existing plans, or added benefits like free line rental and such.

They have even said that they will go and look at whether they can provide a lower cost plan for light users. How many ISPs would listen to their customer base and even attempt to try and help them out?

Exetel need to make a buck to exist and I'm now going to save $8 a month, get more than enough bandwidth and a new phone line with free local and national calls. I might never use the bloody thing but it's there and handy in emergencies.

Cheers,
Nick

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:55 pm

supernicko wrote:

Sorry if I misled you :oops: You might still like to query Exetel directly about this, though, in light of ForumAdmin's earlier post (unless I misinterpreted it and "corporate" doesn't equal "business").

Gidget
I think Mike's plan is a corporate plan in that Exetel offer the employees of a company personal plans at a discounted rate.

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks, Nick, now I understand (and sorry again to Mike for getting it wrong) :D

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

ash.wednesday

Post by ash.wednesday » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:55 pm

nihonjin wrote:
ash.wednesday wrote:
Pauldos! wrote:I switched to exetel in the first place because I had no need for a landline.

The new plans include a landline, which bI don't want.

Do I HAVE to have the landline?
I agree. I have no use for the landline as well, regardless of how great it is and how Naked ADSL is an "insane concept". Fact of the matter is, I don't need a landline. Period. But it doesn't seem like Exetel is offering any sort of plainly Naked services at the moment. Unless something could be in the works in the coming days/weeks?

You guys sounds like children throwing a tantrum stop and think about it. The old naked landline whilst you thought did not include a landline it did in fact include it as how else did you get adsl internet. All that happened is they removed the ability to use it as a phone line. The only difference now is that they are restoring the ability to use it as a phone line but better yet throwing in free calls. If you dont like the idea of having a phone line then dont hook a phone up to it and pretend that it is just like before as in reality it wont be any different. Personally i think that would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face as why would you continue to pay for voip calls when you get pstn calls for free. Any way its your choice and thats the beauty of it. You have a choice!
I understand that there was a line there in order for the ADSL to come through. However, we were not using it and were not paying any monthly rental fees for it. Now, it seems that the monthly rental fee has already been included in the total monthly charge. That doesn't really make sense for people like me who don't use the phone line at all. Why should I be paying for a service that I won't be using?

What I am simply asking is if there could perhaps be a plan in the near future which didn't include the phone line rental thus lowering the monthly fee?

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:01 pm

From what i can remember naked before started at $55 so for $5 more ($60) you get line rental included (believe it or not you still paid for line rental before as it was included in the price of the naked plan. Did you not ever wonder why a similar plan for adsl cost more for naked then it did just for the plan itself ie naked plan started at $55 whereas aapt plans for comparable quota started at around $40)

With your naked plan before you may have been using voip and you would assume that as a min you might have used $5 worth of calls well now you can spend the same total money ($60) and continue to make as many calls as you like without any worry of call quality or drop outs.

ash.wednesday

Post by ash.wednesday » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:06 pm

I don't use it for any calls/SMSes/faxes etc. Yes, the ADSL plans are cheaper but that isn't inclusive of the line rental which is at least another $20 extra. So while I am paying slightly more, I am still not paying as much for the bundle.

Btw, I am only paying $50 for my current plan.

MikeW

Post by MikeW » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Gidget wrote:
supernicko wrote:

Gidget

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks, Nick, now I understand (and sorry again to Mike for getting it wrong) :D

Gidget
Yep as Gidget says. No worries.

AusHelen

Post by AusHelen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14 pm

I just changed plans in November and am confused as I now have to find a new plan AGAIN! I understand you have to increase your prices to keep up with demand, but by doing so, you will be losing a few customers. Especially those customers who are low income earners or pensioners.

I, myself, dont have time to download movies, music and play games online. I use bugger all, yet I have to pay 50 bucks for a plan that offers me 30Gb from which I will use just 2Gb. That's a waste and yet I'm still paying for other people who DO use all their usage and than some. Thanks to them, I have to cough up an extra $10,- a month. Not really fair. But that's life eh?

I can not afford this any longer as I am just a pensioner.

You have always provided a good and reliable service to me. It was that service and your low prices that attracted me to your provider. But your costs have gone up too much and my income has stayed the same. So when I get time, I will be looking around to make sure you are still offering me the best deal, but I doubt it. I'm sure there will be providers out there who can provide cheaper plans with a lower usage allowance, but with a decent speed. Decent speed = >512kb/s

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:28 pm

ash.wednesday wrote:I don't use it for any calls/SMSes/faxes etc. Yes, the ADSL plans are cheaper but that isn't inclusive of the line rental which is at least another $20 extra. So while I am paying slightly more, I am still not paying as much for the bundle.

Btw, I am only paying $50 for my current plan.

Then i guess the choice you have with exetel is to change to the new not so naked plan for $60 and get a free pstn line and free calls that you still do not have to pay for or pay an extra $10 and therefore still pay $60 but at least your not paying for something your not wanting to use. :twisted:

But seriously do you not think that you could save $10 elsewhere by making a number of local, national or mobile calls to mobiles on optus network using the free calls and therefore in effect keeping your internet cost at $50 but redirecting bout $10 worth of calls from some where else over to exetel? Do you follow what im trying to say not sure if its clear. Im not happy about having to change but when i stopped and thought about what i spend on adsl, landline, phone calls i realised that by bundling all these into one plan i actually will only be spending $2 more then what i was before but now i get all calls free.

all the best.

ronald

Post by ronald » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:38 pm

nihonjin wrote:From what i can remember naked before started at $55 so for $5 more ($60) you get line rental included (believe it or not you still paid for line rental before as it was included in the price of the naked plan. Did you not ever wonder why a similar plan for adsl cost more for naked then it did just for the plan itself ie naked plan started at $55 whereas aapt plans for comparable quota started at around $40)

With your naked plan before you may have been using voip and you would assume that as a min you might have used $5 worth of calls well now you can spend the same total money ($60) and continue to make as many calls as you like without any worry of call quality or drop outs.
Naked did, and still does for me, start at $43 per month, which made it way cheaper than any ADSL2 plus any line rental. I'm sure that was for marketing rather than technical reasons, but still. I didn't change to naked because I have any issues with a "normal" phone line but because it was by far the cheapest option. Especially as I'm not making many calls and in most months my VoIP phone charges are between $1.50 and $5, i.e. my overall cost for Internet and phone is between $45 and $50 (worst case, never happened so far). Since national and international calls are very cheap already and I don't call mobile numbers much, most of the rest of the bill comes from 13(00) calls which cost the same on the new plans.

Also, in most months I am way below 20GB in overall (on and off peak) download, though there may be two or three months in a year when I go somewhat above 30GB, however since my peak quota is just 10GB, things can get a bit inconvenient once I reach that (better since the off-peak times have been extended recently).

So for me, it's a bit of a draw: if I stay on my current plan, I'll keep fighting with the on/off peak times but otherwise have everything I need (plus heaps I don't, particularly in off-peak quota), for $55 to $60 maximum. If I change to the OCV200, I pay $60 per month to start with, plus 1300 and international calls, plus those to non-Optus mobiles. Overall a savings in call costs of perhaps $1-$3 compared to now. And I need to be conscious of which connection (VoIP or PSTN) I use for which calls.
On the other hand I don't have to worry about on- and off-peak times at all anymore, which would be a considerable relief. Then again, I'd have to commit to another 12 month plan or pay another $40 in order not to, which is a concern because I am not sure at all that I'll still be in this place in a year's time. Advantage of the contract is of course that it means things won't change too much during that time, but if I do happen to move then I pay extra again.

I understand that building these plans is a complex challenge with many parameters, of which almost all are unknown to me. So I am sure there is a good reason why it does not make sense for Exetel to offer for example an OCV30 plan at $10 less than OCV200, which would make the decision for me much easier. (A 170GB smaller download quota for a $10 lower price doesn't make economic sense for Exetel? Just asking.) The main selling point of the new plans for me is the fact that there are no on- and off-peak times, although I don't care too much about that additional quota being very big. I get the feeling that that's an incredibly uncommon case.

Anyway, I am sure that when the next big changes come around, someone will say that the present pricing structure is insane because it's probably just as much driven by (carrier) marketing rather than technology as the previous push to get people onto naked, but there you go.

cj0325

Post by cj0325 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:39 pm

My understanding is that service providers have historically used contracts to offset costs incurred when establishing new accounts... ie that if a new customer leaves after a short period of time then the provider would wear a loss and that they need to stay for a period of time in order to be a profitable account.

In the case of ISPs and ADSL I understand the primary costs are incurred when activating the service and Telstra need to do work on the line at the exchange (adding codes to lines etc).

I can not fathom how you can justify requiring your existing, LOYAL, out-of-contract customers to either recontract or pay a change fee UNLESS Exetel in turn incurs costs in said customer changing plans... which, unless there is a change to the line speed, I don't believe you do.

It is bad enough that you are forcing us to either wear new administrative charges or move to a less attractive plan; but to also slug a change fee or require a contract extension, when Exetel incurs almost NO TANGIBLE marginal cost as a result of out of contract customers changing plans, is an absolute disgrace. Not even Telstra would try and pull a stunt like this.

I have no issue with price increases, only the plan change fee or requirement to re-contract.

I don't doubt things are far more difficult for you as a business than they previously were - but this reaks of a child trying to grab two handfuls from the candy jar when only one is considered acceptible. Are BOTH measures REALLY necessary and justified? Just in case you are not aware, consumers are used to being given something when we recontract. We recontract on our mobile phone and we get a new handset. With exetel, we recontract and get rewarded with a more expensive plan. Poorly thought out and even worse execution.

I'm not at all surprised you have had the problems with the TIO that you have, and suspect this issue is going to result in a hell of a lot more complaints.

barywhite

Post by barywhite » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:40 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Q6. In regards to free calls to Optus mobiles, does this include Optus resellers?
A. Yes.
Is there any flag fall charge incurred with these free-to-Optus-mobile calls, or is it completely free?

Minnie242

Post by Minnie242 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 pm

AusHelen wrote:I just changed plans in November and am confused as I now have to find a new plan AGAIN! I understand you have to increase your prices to keep up with demand, but by doing so, you will be losing a few customers. Especially those customers who are low income earners or pensioners.

I, myself, dont have time to download movies, music and play games online. I use bugger all, yet I have to pay 50 bucks for a plan that offers me 30Gb from which I will use just 2Gb. That's a waste and yet I'm still paying for other people who DO use all their usage and than some. Thanks to them, I have to cough up an extra $10,- a month. Not really fair. But that's life eh?

I can not afford this any longer as I am just a pensioner.

You have always provided a good and reliable service to me. It was that service and your low prices that attracted me to your provider. But your costs have gone up too much and my income has stayed the same. So when I get time, I will be looking around to make sure you are still offering me the best deal, but I doubt it. I'm sure there will be providers out there who can provide cheaper plans with a lower usage allowance, but with a decent speed. Decent speed = >512kb/s
i myself am in the same boat,i upgraded to a faster line speed in early November,but now i have to change plans AGAIN for about the 4th time i have been with Exetel,i am starting to lose faith in them and their stability,i don`t download heaps each month,i`d be lucky if i hit 5 Gb a month,but i am being penalised because i am a "light" user as opposed to those who download heaps every month, Like AusHelen i am also on a pension and can not afford these increases all the time,and my local exchange only supports certain ISP`s (mainly the larger ones) who charge exuberant amounts also per month,the ones that i have looked at i`ve never even heard of !! also i think it`s wrong that Exetel is forcing us to pay an extra $40 if we want to stay off contract.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 pm

ash.wednesday wrote:What I am simply asking is if there could perhaps be a plan in the near future which didn't include the phone line rental thus lowering the monthly fee?
Just assume the answer to this question is "no". This is much simpler than trying to debate the merits of a plan that, from reading this thread and other blog posts, Exetel cannot afford and has no desire to offer.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

d5.lam

Post by d5.lam » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:50 pm

nihonjin wrote: You guys sounds like children throwing a tantrum stop and think about it. The old naked landline whilst you thought did not include a landline it did in fact include it as how else did you get adsl internet. All that happened is they removed the ability to use it as a phone line. The only difference now is that they are restoring the ability to use it as a phone line but better yet throwing in free calls. If you dont like the idea of having a phone line then dont hook a phone up to it and pretend that it is just like before as in reality it wont be any different. Personally i think that would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face as why would you continue to pay for voip calls when you get pstn calls for free. Any way its your choice and thats the beauty of it. You have a choice!
The problem is the new plans are $60 minimum for naked. $55 for PSTN which has hefty phone rates compared to VOIP. Now some users here have $40 or $45 plans. Especially if they make less than $5 phone calls a month they would pay less than 53$ easily. But now are forced to be paying $60. It's not much but is unnecessary to many. Afterall people do go online to check best deals between ISPS. Even if it is $5 difference. IT is a differnece and everyone wants to save money.

I have 2 places that i manage for internet, 1st one would most prob benefit from the $60 naked with free calls, the other would do better off paying for own calls and being on lowest plan.