Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by jokiin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 pm

Col wrote:
The confusion is that the person you originally were replying to (dalek) was complaining about the $40 fee for not wanting a new contract, to which you replied that you thought it was going to be dropped soon.
apologies if any confusion, the old plan change fees hadn't been updated which is what I was referring to, sorry if that wasn't clear

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Bowersub wrote:By the by, Jokiin (and Gidget and co, assuming they're still around), I totally love and respect the work you do here. I obviously don't blame you for any of this, so please don't take any of my frustrations as directed at you. But Exetel are really disappointing me here. And I'm hoping that these objections aren't falling only on forum admin ears, and that they will actually be read by the Exetel Powers-That-Be who can make changes for the better here...
Thanks, Bowersub. Sensible comments and suggestions are always considered by the Exetel Directors and, indeed, several suggestions expressed on this thread have already been taken up. The way to bring sensible suggestions to Exetel's attention on this thread is to keep "noise", which overwhelms suggestions and serves little purpose other than to express frustration, at a minimum and properly thought-through suggestions at a maximum. Alternatively, use the Suggestion Box in your User Facilities.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Bowersub

Post by Bowersub » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 pm

jokiin wrote:
Bowersub wrote:By the by, Jokiin (and Gidget and co, assuming they're still around), I totally love and respect the work you do here. I obviously don't blame you for any of this, so please don't take any of my frustrations as directed at you. But Exetel are really disappointing me here. And I'm hoping that these objections aren't falling only on forum admin ears, and that they will actually be read by the Exetel Powers-That-Be who can make changes for the better here...
the 'Forum Admin' is one of those powers that be so definitely not falling on deaf ears
Glad to hear it. :)

Also, the word from you that the $3/month fee is gone is also a positive thing. I doubt I'll convince my dad to stop using his credit card (some things you can't change... like moving from Telstra with his phone...), but yes.

So, further to my last post. If plan costs do increase or decrease during my contract period, what happens? If they go up, does mine go up? And if, say, NBN causes mass price drops in 3 months time (doubt it, but as an example), am I locked in at the price regardless?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Cymek wrote:What I find strange is I currently pay $75 a month for 60 peak / unlimited off peak (which is really 180) out of contract plan
I get told of a $10 a month increase, however I can change to a $75 a month contract plan with the same download limit
Whats the difference besides locking me into a contract?, I am unlikely to leave even if I am not on contract.
Never underestimate the power of a contract. Just have a look at how many other users stringently try to avoid one. It is effectively "worth" $40 or more to some people over 4-6 months so this factors into the consideration of value.

Also, often plan changes and pricing decisions are decided in aggregate (i.e. prices must rise because plans in aggregate are not economically viable). But there can still be individuals where the statement seems "strange" as in your case where you will ultimately be paying the same. In some cases people will even save money because of the change, but you can see from this thread alone how much opinion and "value" varies between individuals
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Mort

Post by Mort » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:16 pm

I have a question about the options to port phone numbers

I currently have two pairs coming into my house. One is my Exetel Naked service, the other is a Telstra PSTN line. If I sign up to the new service, can I have the number on my Telstra service ported as the new PSTN service number?

If I can only port it as a VoIP number then I have another query. Can I have a redirect or call forward between the VoIP and PSTN numbers and would there be any charge for that given they would now all be Optus numbers and call to Optus numbers would be free?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Col

Post by Col » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Browersub, I would possibly hold out for that PAYU plan Corey mentioned, but expect it in the $35-40 range or something. On JL's blog today he gave a rough cost to Exetel for a 1500/256 service with 3GB of usage as $33.90. So based on that they could surely do a PAYU (ie 0GB included) for $35 and make some profit off it. Exetel might price it higher, or even make it a 5GB $40 plan or something... who knows.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Bowersub wrote:So, further to my last post. If plan costs do increase or decrease during my contract period, what happens? If they go up, does mine go up? And if, say, NBN causes mass price drops in 3 months time (doubt it, but as an example), am I locked in at the price regardless?
If you sign up for a new contract, you are not subject to any price fluctuations during that contract, up or down. There are some exceptions to this rule, but if Exetel ever impose a price increase on contracted customers they will always be given adequate opportunity to churn to a different provider without any exit fees.

Sometimes (as is evident from current plans) if prices drop there are plans that you can still switch to and all that is incurred is a contract renewal. Therefore, with contracts you can avoid price increases, and still take advantage of price decreases in exchange for a renewal of that contract.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Col wrote:Browersub, I would possibly hold out for that PAYU plan Corey mentioned, but expect it in the $35-40 range or something. On JL's blog today he gave a rough cost to Exetel for a 1500/256 service with 3GB of usage as $33.90. So based on that they could surely do a PAYU (ie 0GB included) for $35 and make some profit off it. Exetel might price it higher, or even make it a 5GB $40 plan or something... who knows.
looking back anytime there has been larger changes in the offers they have quite often changed or had some additional plans offered or whatever before the month is up and a decision needs to be made, if unsure or you don't see something that immediately fills the need I'd be inclined to sit back and wait a few days (still keep giving your input though as that is what most often shapes some of these offers) and see what transpires

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Mort wrote:I currently have two pairs coming into my house. One is my Exetel Naked service, the other is a Telstra PSTN line. If I sign up to the new service, can I have the number on my Telstra service ported as the new PSTN service number?

If I can only port it as a VoIP number then I have another query. Can I have a redirect or call forward between the VoIP and PSTN numbers and would there be any charge for that given they would now all be Optus numbers and call to Optus numbers would be free?
If you sign up the Telstra PSTN number as a new service, I'd imagine that that PSTN number would come straight across. Doing this has a different activation cost structure though, so you should probably seek confirmation of the process from residentialsales@exetel.com.au

Regarding the call forward from VOIP -> PSTN, it has been asked before but no answer given yet to my knowledge. But I don't think it is critical in your case as the PSTN number can surely come across as a PSTN service, not a VOIP one.

sTEWIE

Post by sTEWIE » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 pm

CoreyPlover wrote: Granted, two bouts of $40 in quick succession can seem excessive, but in other ways that is risk that is borne in a contract-free service.
There should be no "risk" on my part when looking for an ISP. It can't be compaired to the burden of a morgage. The "risk" is all with Exetel shafting their loyal customers.
The whole reason I phoned and spoke with an actual human being was to explain my situation expecting something in return. Exetel can't possibly take into account every customer and their individual situation so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I thought that after emplaining myself and the unfair second charge someone would see the error and let me change to one of the new plans without charge.

Mort

Post by Mort » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:38 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:If you sign up the Telstra PSTN number as a new service, I'd imagine that that PSTN number would come straight across. Doing this has a different activation cost structure though, so you should probably seek confirmation of the process from residentialsales@exetel.com.au

Regarding the call forward from VOIP -> PSTN, it has been asked before but no answer given yet to my knowledge. But I don't think it is critical in your case as the PSTN number can surely come across as a PSTN service, not a VOIP one.
If I sign the existing Telstra one up as a new service though I would have to pat the line activation fee for the new service and would probably end up getting a new IP address (which would be bad for my servers).

I don't mind so much if the number is ported as a VoIP number, but it would be good if it didn't cost to redirect between the numbers. I just had a bunch of blackouts over the last few days and it reminded me why I always kept my PSTN as my main incoming call number. If it was ported to VoIP it would stop working when my UPS ran out of juice.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

smithi

Post by smithi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 am

trev wrote:Currently on the "old" 5Gb/unlimited $30 plan with 50c/Gb excess
The nearest "new" one is the 30Gb/180Gb $45 plan with $1/Gb excess

I guess I'll stay on the old plan which, even with the $10 increase, will be $60 cheaper/year. So thanks for that option!

Just one question, if I did change to the new plan, would the $3 account administration charge remain? (I couldn't see any mention of it in the new plan descriptions).
Seems the $3 charge is dropped for a new contract. I guess it may be reapplied once the contract ends, but on form to date, anything at all might happen :) Choose a 12 month contract for a hopefully steady year, or 6 months and face extra fees but consider further possibly better options then? Not quite ready to flip that coin.

So here it'll cost an extra $7 to go from the existing NF/1500 ($40 +$3 'admin', 6GB peak +12GB midnight-noon, which has suited us pretty well), to the lowest 1500 plan, T1.5-30 ($50, 30 + 180GB, but offpeak from 4am-2pm, not so dissimilar to my sleeping pattern :) Still, I'd have to whip the kids into a download frenzy to use even the 30GB peak.

So still pondering Trev. Browsing all of this, seeing some new low-usage ADSL1 plans may be offered soon, I'll sit pat till later this month. Ah, tonight there's a new 256/64 plan, $27, PAYU @$1/GB. 256 but no 512? Maybe still mid-update? I'll await a 1500/256 $40 PAYU @$1/GB plan, that would keep costs about the same for us; whether that may fit with Exetel's (partly understandable) ever-shifting emphasis remains to be seen.

cheers, Ian

Revhead

Post by Revhead » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:10 am

Just wanted to clarify that the only plans available to me are those that appear when I access the members area and go to manage ADSL and change service?
Because, being on the Springwood 2777 exchange my choices appear to be very limited.
From this it appears I could not bundle a wired plan even if I wanted to?
It wouldn't be so disappointing if I had the choices others do.
Should have taken the $68 ADSL2+ plus Telstra deal when it was available.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
My current choices are below . . . currently paying 50 bucks for 1500/256 (suppose I could reapply for same LOL)

256kbps Down/64kbps Up
T.256-PAYU $0.00 $40.00 $27.00 0 mbytes 0 gbytes

1500kbps Down/256kbps Up
T1.5-30 $0.00 $40.00 $50.00 30 gbytes 180 gbytes
T1.5-60 $0.00 $40.00 $65.00 60 gbytes 180 gbytes
T1.5-100 $0.00 $40.00 $70.00 100 gbytes 180 gbytes
T1.5-200 $0.00 $40.00 $90.00 200 gbytes 180 gbytes

8192kbps Down/384kbps Up
T8-30 $0.00 $40.00 $65.00 30 gbytes 180 gbytes
T8-60 $0.00 $40.00 $70.00 60 gbytes 180 gbytes
T8-100 $0.00 $40.00 $100.00 100 gbytes 180 gbytes
T8-200 $0.00 $40.00 $115.00 200 gbytes 180 gbytes

ADSL2 (via Telstra) Plans - You keep your existing Telephone (PSTN) service active
T20-100 $40.00 $90.00 100 gbytes 180 gbytes 12 Months
T20-200 $40.00 $110.00 200 gbytes 180 gbytes 12 Months
Cheers, Rev
ADSL2+ T-Bundled-1TB NSW
TP-Link Archer VR2800

Lyricon1963

Post by Lyricon1963 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 am

Sorry everyone.

I'm confused. Maybe I'm missing the obvious but I have no idea what most of you are talking about.
I don't know what plan I'm on (I researched it at the time and haven't given it a thought ever since)

Can't say I'm not disappointed that the 1st email I got in 2011 was a notice of price increase.
So if I change plans do I lose my email address?
Can I take it to another provider?

Who can I talk to?

S

Lyricon1963

Post by Lyricon1963 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:50 am

What does "naked" mean
Where are the ADSL plans for me to compare?
How do I see what plan I'm already using?