Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
jonnoman

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by jonnoman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:12 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
jonnoman wrote:I am a little confused with the activation fees. I am on D/21NOTEL, ie $43/month, which will increase to $53/month. I can see that I can change to OCV200 for $60/month with no activation fees given a 12 month contract, but what about the OT30 for $55/month? This seems like a better option for me, as it is only $2 higher on the $10 mandatory increase. But do I still have to pay the activation fee of $60?
Check your member facilities for the OT30 plan change option and fees that are applicable. As OCV and OT are on same infrastructure they should have the same contractual arrangements (i.e. free plan change on a 12 month contract).

the $5 difference between the two is probably a feature of the free phone calls and effectively higher peak that OCV has (OT is 30GB peak, OCV is 200GB any time)
I checked the Member Facilities, and only the OCV plans are visible, with no activation charge. I called Exetel, and this was confirmed. I was told that If I wished to change to an OT plan, the $98 connection fee is waived, however there is a $20 plan change fee. So given that, I would be still be better off $40 ($60-$20) over 12 months on the OT30 ($55/m) compared to the OCV200 ($60/m) plan. I wish I could find that information in writing somewhere; I am sure there are others in the same position. Thanks for your response Corey.

iFX

Post by iFX » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Yeah just checked... I changed over to the OTAA plan in December (last month)... because I got a bit of a shock in Nov when I checked our usage... I wasn't keeping an eye on it :( (Damn you ABC iView! :wink: ) and found we were going WAY over our 8GB peak limit (which we were paying $55/month for - our original plan).

I saw there was a $53 plan (OTAA) that, for an extra $20, I could change to without starting a new contract - and since our excess charges were anywhere from $15 - $35 in the previous few months, I quickly changed.

But now, one month later - I have to pay another $40 to change to yet ANOTHER plan??

I'd happily change to the OT30 plan, but don't see why I should pay another "change fee", since I would have changed to the OT30 last month if I'd known this would happen... We don't need or use the 50GB peak limit we currently have anyway, but it was the lowest option in Nov.

Also, if I go to the "Change Service" tab, it only lists options with a 12 month contract... we're moving in a few months, so I can't be signing up for another 12 months - so what's the deal??

vbap

Post by vbap » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm

jonnoman wrote:I was told that If I wished to change to an OT plan, the $98 connection fee is waived, however there is a $20 plan change fee. So given that, I would be still be better off $40 ($60-$20) over 12 months on the OT30 ($55/m) compared to the OCV200 ($60/m) plan.
I guess that would depend on how much you spend per month on phone calls of the type that would be free under OCV plans.

maccasmob

Post by maccasmob » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:10 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
maccasmob wrote:I have been with Exetel for just on 4 years now and have never had a problem.

My current predicament is as follows:

I am currently out of contract, I also am hoping to be moving house within the next 1-6 months.

I can either stay as I am and pay an extra $10 a month for my current service, or start a new contract and get slugged a $100 early termination fee when I move, or pay what I believe seems to be a fairly exceesive $40 to stay out of contract until I move.

I have been out of contract since Jul 2007, yet my loyalty is being questioned by either having to pay to stay out of contract or get locked in for free.

I have only ever changed my plan once and was charged $20 for the speed change, yet I am being forced to pay $40 for no peak usage change - seems a bit steep to me.

Why doesn't Exetel try and trust their long term loyal customers to change and remain loyal, instead of effectively forcing them into another contract.

I am still loyal to Exetel and if I wasn't planning a move I would happily go on a new contract. I just think that $40 is steep to effective stay on the same plan with a new name, $20 would be more acceptable.
There is a zero plan change charge if you sign up to a new contract. If you are using an Optus ADSL2 plan there is no charge to re-locate an Optus service.
Unfortunately I live at Medowie near Newcastle and the only ADSL2 available is by Tel$tra. We are too hicksville for Optus. I am currently on ADSL1 1500A plan.

So if I was to sign on for a new contract and moved locally in the time frame I stated above I am assuming I would have to pay the early termination fee of $100 to move my service to the new address, correct?
So I either do nothing until I move and pay an extra $10 per month for my current service, pay $40 to change and stay out of contract until I move, or pay nothing and sign on a new contract and get slugged the $100 termination fee when I move. All options cost me more money than what I am paying now, situation SUCKS.

ajhoward

Post by ajhoward » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:19 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
ajhoward wrote:My contract ends in March this year, if I go to another provider will I charged the exit fee?
If you terminate your contract within the contract period then you will be charged the ETC of $100.00 becsuse you have breached the conditions of your contract.

Why would you end your contract within its required period?
Because I start up TAFE again soon and I require the internet for TAFE, so I would rather get it out of the way now before I start. I just think that it is unfair because the only way I can get ADSL2+ with Exetel is to use there Telstra plans, so my options are to pay $79 a month, change my plan to standard ADSL or pay the exit fee and go elsewhere and get a better deal. I have been with Exetel for a long time now and feel kind of forced to pay $79 when the contract amount was $69, that's why I think I shouldn't have to pay the exit fee. I understand Exetel's position, and am very fond of Exetel's service, I understand that they are a business and they get charged a set amount by there carriers and are only trying to keep the business going strong. I am only wanting to move on for cost reasons, after all I have a budget as well.

MichaelL

Post by MichaelL » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:30 pm

[quote="ForumAdmin1) If you change plans now on a 12 month contract then there is no charge for doing that

2) If you have been charged for a plan change since October 1st 2010 then that charge will be refunded to you before the end of February - provided you have selected a new contract when you changed plans this month.[/quote]

Thank you for the prompt reply. :D

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 pm

iFX wrote:This email seems to suggest that our *new* plan will increase by $10? unless we change *again* to another plan and pay yet AGAIN to change??!
See viewtopic.php?p=286142#p286142 (and there are other posts that say the same thing)

As a response to several people asking "We just changed plan, do we have to pay ANOTHER fee?" ForumAdmin effected the following:
ForumAdmin wrote:2) If you have paid for a plan change since October 1st 2010 then any charge made will be credited against any charge incurred in signing for a new plan this month.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:58 pm

maccasmob wrote:
Unfortunately I live at Medowie near Newcastle and the only ADSL2 available is by Tel$tra. We are too hicksville for Optus. I am currently on ADSL1 1500A plan.

So if I was to sign on for a new contract and moved locally in the time frame I stated above I am assuming I would have to pay the early termination fee of $100 to move my service to the new address, correct?
So I either do nothing until I move and pay an extra $10 per month for my current service, pay $40 to change and stay out of contract until I move, or pay nothing and sign on a new contract and get slugged the $100 termination fee when I move. All options cost me more money than what I am paying now, situation SUCKS.
Telstra set the rules on early contract termination and they make no exceptions.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:01 pm

ajhoward wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
ajhoward wrote:My contract ends in March this year, if I go to another provider will I charged the exit fee?
If you terminate your contract within the contract period then you will be charged the ETC of $100.00 becsuse you have breached the conditions of your contract.

Why would you end your contract within its required period?
Because I start up TAFE again soon and I require the internet for TAFE, so I would rather get it out of the way now before I start. I just think that it is unfair because the only way I can get ADSL2+ with Exetel is to use there Telstra plans, so my options are to pay $79 a month, change my plan to standard ADSL or pay the exit fee and go elsewhere and get a better deal. I have been with Exetel for a long time now and feel kind of forced to pay $79 when the contract amount was $69, that's why I think I shouldn't have to pay the exit fee. I understand Exetel's position, and am very fond of Exetel's service, I understand that they are a business and they get charged a set amount by there carriers and are only trying to keep the business going strong. I am only wanting to move on for cost reasons, after all I have a budget as well.
I don't understand what you are having a problem with.

If you are within the contract period then nothing changes for you.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Yeah just checked... I changed over to the OTAA plan in December (last month)... because I got a bit of a shock in Nov when I checked our usage... I wasn't keeping an eye on it :( (Damn you ABC iView! :wink: ) and found we were going WAY over our 8GB peak limit (which we were paying $55/month for - our original plan).

I saw there was a $53 plan (OTAA) that, for an extra $20, I could change to without starting a new contract - and since our excess charges were anywhere from $15 - $35 in the previous few months, I quickly changed.

But now, one month later - I have to pay another $40 to change to yet ANOTHER plan??

I'd happily change to the OT30 plan, but don't see why I should pay another "change fee", since I would have changed to the OT30 last month if I'd known this would happen... We don't need or use the 50GB peak limit we currently have anyway, but it was the lowest option in Nov.

Also, if I go to the "Change Service" tab, it only lists options with a 12 month contract... we're moving in a few months, so I can't be signing up for another 12 months - so what's the deal??
If you move you wont resign for another 12 months. It will carry through

d5.lam

Post by d5.lam » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Admins,

When porting naked number back to original PSTN i know this takes time but:
1) is there a fee?
2) Also can this option be added in our members section for those moving back to this non-naked OCV200 plan.
3) can our voip have the same number as our PSTN too

Thanks admins,

Also all read this helped answer some Q! http://www.exetel.com.au/faq_naked_adsl2_ocv.php

Nekcarccm

Post by Nekcarccm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:39 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
iFX wrote:This email seems to suggest that our *new* plan will increase by $10? unless we change *again* to another plan and pay yet AGAIN to change??!
See viewtopic.php?p=286142#p286142 (and there are other posts that say the same thing)

As a response to several people asking "We just changed plan, do we have to pay ANOTHER fee?" ForumAdmin effected the following:
ForumAdmin wrote:2) If you have paid for a plan change since October 1st 2010 then any charge made will be credited against any charge incurred in signing for a new plan this month.
I was charged $40 on Jan 1 this year, but if I go to OT30 under a new 12 month contract there is no charge for "plan change". Does that mean there is nothing to credit against so I have lost my $40?

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi,

Hi Admins,

When porting naked number back to original PSTN i know this takes time but:
1) is there a fee?
2) Also can this option be added in our members section for those moving back to this non-naked OCV200 plan.
3) can our voip have the same number as our PSTN too

Thanks admins,

Also all read this helped answer some Q! http://www.exetel.com.au/faq_naked_adsl2_ocv.php
1 - Will confirm soon.
2 - This will be added soon.
3 - You cant have both. It has to be one or the other.

d5.lam

Post by d5.lam » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm

paulp wrote:Hi,
1 - Will confirm soon.
2 - This will be added soon.
3 - You cant have both. It has to be one or the other.
Oh ok. Thanks a lot! unfortunate we can't. I mean mynetfone has CLI overstamping. Not saying you have to be MNF but would be cool to have that.

cheers

oblong

Post by oblong » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:59 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
brucebv wrote:Q. The new plans have me a bit confused, if I change to the A30 plan at $45/month, does that include the extra $3/month I started getting slugged with from October 1 2010, or will the $3 get added to the A30 cost bring it to $48/month ?
It will be $48.00 per month.
So you are saying that the current "admin fee" of $3 that some current plans are being charged will also appear on the new plans (A30 in this case)? I thought several posts here had been saying that the new plans do NOT have an "admin fee"?

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php makes no mention of a $3 admin fee (not even in the "other charges" section, as far as I can see.)

What is the actual situation, then?