Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
nerdag

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by nerdag » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Two different situations I want to ask about.

Firstly, I am currently on the Naked ONA plan ($43/mo), contract due to expire April 2011. If I upgrade to the new Naked + landline OT200 (or OT200/19 or OT200/35 plans), will there be a line activation charge since the PSTN line needs to be reactivated? Will I also be able to keep the current contract, or will I need to take out a new 12 month contract?

Secondly, my parents are currently on the INCPHONE Z, and well out of contract. Are they able to sign up to a new Naked + PSTN Plan? The user facilities option on their account does not allow them to select a Naked + PSTN Plan as an option, only offering the OT plans. The reason for the question is that of the new ADSL plans, the Naked + PSTN plan suits their needs better than the ADSL + telephone plan OT30 for not much more in cost. They have also recently added a CAP35 to the existing INCPHONEZ plan as well, and would be looking to keep that.

Many thanks,

n

Shrude

Post by Shrude » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi

I'm just looking for clarification on the new price/ plan changes

I am currently on the T8192-U plan for $68 per month.

My 6 month contract expires on 24th March 2011.

As far as I understand these changes....

As from the 1st February 2011 my plan fee will rise to $78 per month correct?

On my contract expiry, will I be able to continue with my current plan at the $78 per month?

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:09 pm

The email I got did not mention HSPA, only ADSL. Do I get a price increase, or am I forced to change plans also ?

The MoIP option is good, but a bit of a joke when a speed test reveals up and download speeds of around 0.25 Mb/s . Apparently at least 1.5 download is needed for VoIP or MoIP, so it's not an option, hence no potential savings.

Pete

Shrude

Post by Shrude » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:24 pm

petemoss wrote:The email I got did not mention HSPA, only ADSL. Do I get a price increase, or am I forced to change plans also ?

The MoIP option is good, but a bit of a joke when a speed test reveals up and download speeds of around 0.25 Mb/s . Apparently at least 1.5 download is needed for VoIP or MoIP, so it's not an option, hence no potential savings.

Pete
Hmm I dont know about MOIP, but VoIP certainly doesn't need 1.5. I have a friend on a 512/128 connection and she has no issues with VoIP at all.

The only time I get VoIP connection static garble etc, is when I havent throttled an upload.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:56 pm

nerdag wrote:Two different situations I want to ask about.

1) Firstly, I am currently on the Naked ONA plan ($43/mo), contract due to expire April 2011. If I upgrade to the new Naked + landline OT200 (or OT200/19 or OT200/35 plans), will there be a line activation charge since the PSTN line needs to be reactivated? Will I also be able to keep the current contract, or will I need to take out a new 12 month contract?

2) Secondly, my parents are currently on the INCPHONE Z, and well out of contract. Are they able to sign up to a new Naked + PSTN Plan? The user facilities option on their account does not allow them to select a Naked + PSTN Plan as an option, only offering the OT plans. The reason for the question is that of the new ADSL plans, the Naked + PSTN plan suits their needs better than the ADSL + telephone plan OT30 for not much more in cost. They have also recently added a CAP35 to the existing INCPHONEZ plan as well, and would be looking to keep that.

Many thanks,

n
1) No charge if you sign up for a 12 month contract.

2) The CV plans will be added to the user Facilities early next week.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 pm

petemoss wrote:The email I got did not mention HSPA, only ADSL. Do I get a price increase, or am I forced to change plans also ?

Pete
Wireless plans are not affected.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Shrude wrote:Hi

I'm just looking for clarification on the new price/ plan changes

I am currently on the T8192-U plan for $68 per month.

My 6 month contract expires on 24th March 2011.

As far as I understand these changes....

As from the 1st February 2011 my plan fee will rise to $78 per month correct?

On my contract expiry, will I be able to continue with my current plan at the $78 per month?
As you are in contract nothing will change until your current contract expires.

When your contract expires you will be advised of your options.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:03 pm

HyRax wrote:I need to get some clarification here which I am unable to find answers from the Newsletter or the Plans page.

First, it appears that the ADSL2 plans that are on offer to out-of-contract members no longer offer Naked services. The table of new plan options indicates that line rental is included in the cost. Can I just get a firm word that $60 per month on the OCV200 plan is just that - $60 a month? No extra line rental? Yes, it's pedantic to ask, but I just don't want any surprises.

Secondly, the new plans offer 200GB per month without any apparent distinction of peak and off-peak limits. I currently have a 90GB peak limit and Unlimited off-peak limit. For the cost of an extra $10 (total $75 a month for my current "old" plan), wouldn't I be better off simply staying where I am to enjoy the unlimited off-peak, or am I missing something here?

Finally, if we choose a new plan, are we actually locked into a new 12 month contract?
The CV plans include an uncrippled/usable PSTN line within the monthly price.

No-one here can advise you on what might be best for your personal needs.

You have the option,if you are out of contract to change plans at no charge if you sign up for 12 months or pay $40.00 to change plans on no contract.

yvonnegee

Post by yvonnegee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:25 pm

mark4323 wrote: It's disappointing that Exetel are ignoring the 'light' to 'normal' use (as defined by Whirlpool). I have been with Exetel for many years, lots of ups and downs and plan changes! But, paying $40 for a 5Gb plan is not competitive at all, and looking at Whirlpool I can get much better value elsewhere....
+1 to this. I have been a happy customer of Exetel for a number of years, and because fo the good service I brought my sister on to Exetel as well. Even though this household is a "normal" use customer, we appear to be very light by Exetel standards (12-20GB pm), and my sister's usage is minimal. Nevertheless in both cases, Exetel offered the best value service for the cost. We both changed plans last March with a previous push to change from "old" plans. That cost us $5 a month extra for unused additional benefits.

I am currently on a $45 TL-C1 plan and my sister on a $40 NF1500 plan. In our area we are stuck with Telstra WS ADSL1, so only poor value options available. Our only option with Exetel now is to accept the $50pm plan for no additional benefits to us, as we will not fully utilise the peak download limits at all. We would be interested in a higher upload speed option to improve VOIP quality, even with lower useage limits, but no ISP offers such an option, given the existing pricing structures.

However, at $50pm there are a range of other major ISPs that offer competitive 1500 plans that can cater for our useage requirements. I thought Exetel was marvellous when the plans were about $20 less than market with much greater benefits, but for us that is no longer true. So unless the situation changes over the next 2 weeks, Exetel has just lost 2 more longer term loyal and previously happy customers, because of a lack of a suitable "low useage" plan. I wonder how much longer Exetel will survive in competition with the bigger players.

Narkov

Post by Narkov » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:58 pm

When I try to take advantage of the Naked ADSL upgrade offer I just get "You cannot view details." after clicking apply. It's on this page that the error shows up:

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/servi ... bundle.php

Am I missing anything?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Narkov wrote: Am I missing anything?
still some back end stuff to be done early next week from what I understand, didn't get completed in time, just hang off for a few days

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:18 am

yvonnegee wrote:So unless the situation changes over the next 2 weeks, Exetel has just lost 2 more longer term loyal and previously happy customers, because of a lack of a suitable "low useage" plan. I wonder how much longer Exetel will survive in competition with the bigger players.
From what I've gleaned about Exetel's costs, "low usage" plans are a bit of a dying breed because of the port rental costs that ISPs incur. Also, Exetel have been in business for about 7 years now, so I'm sure they will continue to survive just fine. Having said that, if you think you can do a better job...
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

ScottWen

Post by ScottWen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:41 am

Can Exetel please provide a list of all the old plans that are included under this price increase?

I have only recently changed over to an Optus "ONA" plan which has now disappeared off the new plans option so I want to know if this is also included in the old plans list but I am sure that plenty of other people will be in the same scenario.

Regards

Steves

Post by Steves » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:07 am

yvonnegee wrote:
mark4323 wrote: It's disappointing that Exetel are ignoring the 'light' to 'normal' use (as defined by Whirlpool). I have been with Exetel for many years, lots of ups and downs and plan changes! But, paying $40 for a 5Gb plan is not competitive at all, and looking at Whirlpool I can get much better value elsewhere....
+1 to this. I have been a happy customer of Exetel for a number of years, and because fo the good service I brought my sister on to Exetel as well. Even though this household is a "normal" use customer, we appear to be very light by Exetel standards (12-20GB pm), and my sister's usage is minimal. Nevertheless in both cases, Exetel offered the best value service for the cost. We both changed plans last March with a previous push to change from "old" plans. That cost us $5 a month extra for unused additional benefits.

I am currently on a $45 TL-C1 plan and my sister on a $40 NF1500 plan. In our area we are stuck with Telstra WS ADSL1, so only poor value options available. Our only option with Exetel now is to accept the $50pm plan for no additional benefits to us, as we will not fully utilise the peak download limits at all. We would be interested in a higher upload speed option to improve VOIP quality, even with lower useage limits, but no ISP offers such an option, given the existing pricing structures.

However, at $50pm there are a range of other major ISPs that offer competitive 1500 plans that can cater for our useage requirements. I thought Exetel was marvellous when the plans were about $20 less than market with much greater benefits, but for us that is no longer true. So unless the situation changes over the next 2 weeks, Exetel has just lost 2 more longer term loyal and previously happy customers, because of a lack of a suitable "low useage" plan. I wonder how much longer Exetel will survive in competition with the bigger players.
I agree entirely, great value for money if you want to utilise all your download quota Peak/Offpeak but for the general user they really offer no plan.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 am

ScottWen wrote:Can Exetel please provide a list of all the old plans that are included under this price increase?

I have only recently changed over to an Optus "ONA" plan which has now disappeared off the new plans option so I want to know if this is also included in the old plans list but I am sure that plenty of other people will be in the same scenario.

Regards
If you are in contract then you are not affected. It has nothing to do with the plan name.