Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:46 pm

CraigA wrote:1. On my change plan page ADSL2 T... PAYU plan is $1/gb excess, on my mum's page A... PAYU plan is $2/gb excess, is this correct?

2. The PAYU plans have N/A for both peek & off-peek, so if they are both not applicable then is the excess charged on the total usage in a single billing period rounded up to nearest gigabyte?
1. That is the same as the Exetel web site at http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php for the A-PAYU plan and http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php for the T...PAYU plans so I assume it is correct.
2. I'm pretty sure these PAYU plans still calculate billing for peak and off-peak separately. Again, by reference to http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php, each GB (or part thereof) download in peak costs $1 and each GB (or part thereof) downloaded in off-peak costs another $1
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

patient

Post by patient » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:01 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
nicholastyc wrote:
patient wrote:Is it possible to avoid the 12 month contract? I read something about a $40 fee as an alternative to being locked into a contract, is this correct or only for current 'in contract' customers (i am out of contract).
I would like to know about this as well...
I have been searching for this on all the topic..or i missed out.. thanksssss!
I would think that anyone can pay the $40 and avoid a new 12 month contract. If the option doesn't appear on the application form by the end of the week, email residentialsales@exetel.com.au to enquire
thanks CoreyPlover, will do.

vbap

Re: Forward VoIP calls to PSTN number

Post by vbap » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 pm

hohum wrote:Hi,

OK - I try again - 3rd time I ask this question, no response. Please can I have a response?

Can I set up a call forward on my VoIP number back to my PSTN number, will this cost me money for each call, and if the PSTN line does not pick up can the VoIP answering service forward me messages via email ?

I ask because my old ATA which I could use both PSTN and VoIP and program what calls to route to what is broken and I'd prefer not to buy a new one. I don't want to run around telling everyone a new number yet again. So this seems to be a sensible option. The VoIP answering machine thing is not important - my phone can do it - I just prefer to get my messages via email if that is possible.

An answer? Pwetty pwease? I'd even consider sleeping with someone if I had to to get it.
Yes, call fwd from voip to PSTN can be done, and I imagine it costs 10c per call (assuming that is what it costs for local calls on your VoIP service and you don't have VoIP packs attached). However, the "follow me"-type service you are asking about (MNF have this sort of option - where you can provide a list of numbers to try until you pickup, and if all numbers fail, then reverts to your VoIP no-answer option eg VoIP voicemail) does not appear to be available in the Exetel VoIP configuration. The fowarding of VoIP calls looks like it's just a straight hand-off to the destination number, and the no-answer options of that number will be used.

If that makes sense, and answers your questions, it is more than acceptable to me if you stay in your own bed.

EDIT: Of course, I don't know what features Exetel will make available to configure with the PSTN number
Last edited by vbap on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hohum

Post by hohum » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

vbap wrote:

OK - I try again - 3rd time I ask this question, no response. Please can I have a response?

Can I set up a call forward on my VoIP number back to my PSTN number, will this cost me money for each call, and if the PSTN line does not pick up can the VoIP answering service forward me messages via email ?

I ask because my old ATA which I could use both PSTN and VoIP and program what calls to route to what is broken and I'd prefer not to buy a new one. I don't want to run around telling everyone a new number yet again. So this seems to be a sensible option. The VoIP answering machine thing is not important - my phone can do it - I just prefer to get my messages via email if that is possible.

An answer? Pwetty pwease? I'd even consider sleeping with someone if I had to to get it.
Yes, call fwd from voip to PSTN can be done, and I imagine it costs 10c per call (assuming that is what it costs for local calls on your VoIP service and you don't have VoIP packs attached). However, the "follow me"-type service you are asking about (MNF have this sort of option - where you can provide a list of numbers to try until you pickup, and if all numbers fail, then reverts to your VoIP no-answer option eg VoIP voicemail) does not appear to be available in the Exetel VoIP configuration. The fowarding of VoIP calls looks like it's just a straight hand-off to the destination number, and the no-answer options of that number will be used.

If that makes sense, and answers your questions, it is more than acceptable to me if you stay in your own bed.

EDIT: Of course, I don't know what features Exetel will make available to configure with the PSTN number
Oh - that's almost a shame vap ;) Thanks. Yeah - 10 cents per phone call I get is not something I want to pay for so I suppose I would have to buy a new ATA to manage both PSTN and VoIP. Bugger. Thanks. If you are at all unsure whether it would incur the 10 cent charge I would like it confirmed.

michaelw

Post by michaelw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 pm

How do I go about getting my oringial PSTN number that was ported to VoIP, when I moved to a naked plan, ported back to the PSTN when I accept one of the new plans being offered?

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

How do I go about getting my oringial PSTN number that was ported to VoIP, when I moved to a naked plan, ported back to the PSTN when I accept one of the new plans being offered?
This will be incorporated into the change of plan form end of next week.

If you've submitted a plan change already, we'll have to do this request adhoc. I'll advise more next week.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:54 pm

hohum wrote:Yeah - 10 cents per phone call I get is not something I want to pay for so I suppose I would have to buy a new ATA to manage both PSTN and VoIP. Bugger. Thanks. If you are at all unsure whether it would incur the 10 cent charge I would like it confirmed.
I asked this question a while ago when the propsect of the OCV plans was still being tossed around. See this post, as well as FA's reply.

I too wanted to know if forwarding from VoIP to the new PSTN number was considered a free "Exetel-to-Exetel" call - it isn't.

CraigA

Post by CraigA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:38 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
CraigA wrote:1. On my change plan page ADSL2 T... PAYU plan is $1/gb excess, on my mum's page A... PAYU plan is $2/gb excess, is this correct?

2. The PAYU plans have N/A for both peek & off-peek, so if they are both not applicable then is the excess charged on the total usage in a single billing period rounded up to nearest gigabyte?
1. That is the same as the Exetel web site at http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php for the A-PAYU plan and http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php for the T...PAYU plans so I assume it is correct.
1. Ok, go to this page: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php
Click on the AAPT ADSL2 button, the new table appears including the text "Excess usage in either period is charged at $1.00 per gb" just below the table which suggests it even applies to PAYU? OR are all the plans $1/gb except for PAYU which is $2/gb excess? (Sorry, but I have to ask because exetel keep changing the plan details..)
Thanks.

aparashk

Post by aparashk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm

hohum wrote:
vbap wrote:

Oh - that's almost a shame vap ;) Thanks. Yeah - 10 cents per phone call I get is not something I want to pay for so I suppose I would have to buy a new ATA to manage both PSTN and VoIP. Bugger. Thanks. If you are at all unsure whether it would incur the 10 cent charge I would like it confirmed.
I am in a similar situation: finding my ATA being quite unreliable, a major WAF reductor. So I am set on buying a new Siemens Gigaset VOIP+PSTN+DECT base and handset, apparently should be a step up in reliability and call quality compared to a standalone ATA + DECT combination.

Cheers,
Atanas

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:45 pm

CraigA wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:

1. Ok, go to this page: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php
Click on the AAPT ADSL2 button, the new table appears including the text "Excess usage in either period is charged at $1.00 per gb" just below the table which suggests it even applies to PAYU? OR are all the plans $1/gb except for PAYU which is $2/gb excess? (Sorry, but I have to ask because exetel keep changing the plan details..)
Thanks.
My interpretation is that the PAYU plan has no "excess usage"; it is simply a flat $2/GB plan. Therefore the footnote doesn't apply, only the $2/GB charges

I will make a post in the "web site errata" thread to confirm and possibly clear up the confusion in that footnote and suggest it gets re-writen it as "Excess usage for non PAYU plans in each period is charged at $1.00 per GB" or something.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Corey is spot on there. PAYU is as it implies, and the rate is what they pay per gig.

The $1 per gig is for other packaged plans on OPtus or Telstra infrastructure in regards to excess.

AAPT based plans have a $2.00 per gb download cost.

As all PAYG plans have no included data all downloads are charged at either $1.00 (for Optus and Telstra) or $2.00 for AAPT.

The difference in charges is because of the difference in back haul charges from the different carriers.

Augh

Post by Augh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:00 pm

How much would it cost to break the contract? considering I can pay $40 to waive the contract I expect the contract break charged should also be $40?

What if I do stay on my old plan? how much longer till Exetel forces me off the plan?
At the moment staying on my current plan with the $10 increase seems to be the best option as changing to the new plans locks me into a contract or costs me $40 but provides no extra benefit for me. ( I do not need the extra quota nor a PSTN)

A Rant:
Overall I am very disappointed with Exetel's attitude to loyal existing customers and the frequent changes in the last few months. As an Exetel customer for over 3 years and having recommended many friends why should I be forced to either signup for a new contract or pay $40 just to stay with Exetel.
In General the cost of my ADSL services has been going up while for the rest of the world broadband costs go down.
If Exetel can assure some plan stability to its customers I would be happy to recommend more friends, the new plans offer excellent value for many people but are useless if they will be forced to change in a few months.

Legend

Post by Legend » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

I must say, I'm having trouble with this. I've had several of my customers contacting me asking what the email really means. One was concerned because they "may" be moving through no fault of their own and were concerned about the ramifications of being on a new contract if they have to move in the contract period. All have asked why they have to pay a plan change fee of $40 when a plan change is effectively being forced on them by Exetel (pay an extra $10 or change your plan!) and most asked why they should have to go onto a new contract.

I've reassured the customer who may be moving, based on an earlier post in this thread, that moving won't be an issue. The plan change fee is an issue though. It used to be that a plan change fee where the speed wasn't changing attracted no fee at all. A $40 increase seems a bit rich. After all, the $10 increase is being imposed as incentive to change to a new plan because Exetel doesn't want people to be on the old plans. $40 is dis-incentive to change. Sure, you can avoid that by going to a new contract but I have to ask, WHY should you need to?

In my case, I've been a customer since May 2005. It's not likely that I'm going anywhere so why should I have to go on a contract to demonstrate my loyalty? I'm pretty sure that I've demonstrated it by staying with Exetel for 69 months, 30 more than I spent with BigPond. When Foxtel tried to force me onto a contract in their change from Foxtel Digital satellite to "Foxtel Digital" I cancelled my service. With Exetel I don't need to go that far right now, as Exetel has made the decision for me. I'm on a 36GB/unlimited plan with a 12-hour off-peak. Going to a new plan with only 10 hours OP means I'll need more peak GB and that means going to a 60GB plan (it's either 30 or 60 - no in-between) that costs $10 more so either way I'm going to be hit. I may as well just stay with the old plan and suffer the $10 extra. Still, it's hard to convince my customers to stay when other ISPs (one in particular) have been peppering the area with brochures just as Exetel announces its price increase.

Legend

Post by Legend » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Augh wrote:What if I do stay on my old plan? how much longer till Exetel forces me off the plan?
One thing I can say is that I've never actually been forced off a plan. I've always found that a better plan eventually comes along that you'll want to change to. Of course, the uncertainty is always discouraging.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Legend wrote:I must say, I'm having trouble with this. I've had several of my customers contacting me asking what the email really means. One was concerned because they "may" be moving through no fault of their own and were concerned about the ramifications of being on a new contract if they have to move in the contract period. All have asked why they have to pay a plan change fee of $40 when a plan change is effectively being forced on them by Exetel (pay an extra $10 or change your plan!) and most asked why they should have to go onto a new contract.

I've reassured the customer who may be moving, based on an earlier post in this thread, that moving won't be an issue. The plan change fee is an issue though. It used to be that a plan change fee where the speed wasn't changing attracted no fee at all. A $40 increase seems a bit rich. After all, the $10 increase is being imposed as incentive to change to a new plan because Exetel doesn't want people to be on the old plans. $40 is dis-incentive to change. Sure, you can avoid that by going to a new contract but I have to ask, WHY should you need to?

In my case, I've been a customer since May 2005. It's not likely that I'm going anywhere so why should I have to go on a contract to demonstrate my loyalty? I'm pretty sure that I've demonstrated it by staying with Exetel for 69 months, 30 more than I spent with BigPond. When Foxtel tried to force me onto a contract in their change from Foxtel Digital satellite to "Foxtel Digital" I cancelled my service. With Exetel I don't need to go that far right now, as Exetel has made the decision for me. I'm on a 36GB/unlimited plan with a 12-hour off-peak. Going to a new plan with only 10 hours OP means I'll need more peak GB and that means going to a 60GB plan (it's either 30 or 60 - no in-between) that costs $10 more so either way I'm going to be hit. I may as well just stay with the old plan and suffer the $10 extra. Still, it's hard to convince my customers to stay when other ISPs (one in particular) have been peppering the area with brochures just as Exetel announces its price increase.
I have said this many, many times before and I'll say it one last time.

CARRIERS have a view that ONLY if a new contract is entered in to will they provide 'added bonuses'. They also have other, currently impossible, views that I won't confuse this explanation with.

So....to be able to offer the benefits of the carrier bonuses....a new contract is required.

Over the years we have been providing services we have endlessly tried to balance the bonuses that come to us with the sign up of NEW customers with juggling the net gain of those, by definition much fewer new customers among both the new customers AND the current customers.

As our current user base continues to grow it becomes an impossible task.

So we have now come to a point where it just can't be done.

The other point is that we have never tried to do anything more than break even on the supply of any of our services (read the stated aims of Exetel on our web site) and right now, and for most of the past 18 months, we have lost money providing residential ADSL services. We don't expect any of our customers to give a damn about how we, at our sole discretion, decide to price our services....it is our decision. Also we fully understand that some, perhaps all, of our customers will decide that their "loyalty" extends to using our services until they can get a similar/better service from some other supplier - totally OK with that view.. ..we are glad they have had the advantage of low prices while we could provide them and understand that lower prices from someone else may well suit them better now we can no longer provide prices at which we lose money.

So, peace, if it's in any customer's best interests to move to another provider we are happy for them to pursue their best interests.

We have done our best for seven years to provide very good low cost services. If some other provider can do that better than we can at this particular point in time then that's business.