Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
smithi

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by smithi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:11 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: What you should do is email:

melanieb@exetel.com.au

and see if you can get a contra deal for your monthly ADSL plan cost.

If you run some ads for us we give you the connection.

In any event we will make sure you get the plan you want next month via Melanie.
Much appreciated, thankyou ForumAdmin; I've just emailed Melanie.

cheers, Ian

autron

Post by autron » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi, I am currently on a naked service and I may possibly have to move residence within the next twelve months to a location not serviced by Optus. For that reason I am having difficulty pulling the trigger on a change to the OCV200 bundled plan.

I have tried to confirm whether I will need to move or not but unfortunately I haven't yet received the necessary replies and I can't put the choice off any longer.

What will happen after this month with people on naked services who don't take up the OCV offer? Will I have to remain on my same existing plan (with the price increase) or will other options be brought in at some point?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:07 pm

autron wrote:Hi, I am currently on a naked service and I may possibly have to move residence within the next twelve months to a location not serviced by Optus. For that reason I am having difficulty pulling the trigger on a change to the OCV200 bundled plan.

I have tried to confirm whether I will need to move or not but unfortunately I haven't yet received the necessary replies and I can't put the choice off any longer.

What will happen after this month with people on naked services who don't take up the OCV offer? Will I have to remain on my same existing plan (with the price increase) or will other options be brought in at some point?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks
At this very late stage the best thing would be to do nothing until you know what's what and then see what is on offer.

schuforever

Post by schuforever » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 pm

I have been an Exetel customer for a number of years now and for the most part have been happy with the service that has been provided and even persuaded some of my friends to get an account, however, with the latest price increase for out of contract users which came on top of the forced change to a new plan last year, has caused me to rethink my ongoing membership. While i made the change to a new plan last year due to an increase in charges to my out of date plan, this particular increase for out of contract customers is not in the best spirits for the members. I feel very strongly against this and feel it is an insult to all long term customers, like me who have shown their support for a while and are now being forced into a new contract or else have an increased charge to their account or have to pay a one-off fee to remain out of contract. I have never heard of this happening at any other provider and i don’t agree with this practice. As a result i am sure a number of customers including long-term users will be turned away by this. All other avenues should have been explored before attacking those who have been most loyal. The other option to me is to cancel my account and look towards another provider which i am seriously considering and i doubt i will be alone in that case. This is why i feel i need to express my annoyance at such a decision. You will most probably feel differently but long-term members should be given some reward for their loyalty not be given an ultimatum.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

schuforever wrote:I have been an Exetel customer for a number of years now and for the most part have been happy with the service that has been provided and even persuaded some of my friends to get an account, however, with the latest price increase for out of contract users which came on top of the forced change to a new plan last year, has caused me to rethink my ongoing membership. While i made the change to a new plan last year due to an increase in charges to my out of date plan, this particular increase for out of contract customers is not in the best spirits for the members. I feel very strongly against this and feel it is an insult to all long term customers, like me who have shown their support for a while and are now being forced into a new contract or else have an increased charge to their account or have to pay a one-off fee to remain out of contract. I have never heard of this happening at any other provider and i don’t agree with this practice. As a result i am sure a number of customers including long-term users will be turned away by this. All other avenues should have been explored before attacking those who have been most loyal. The other option to me is to cancel my account and look towards another provider which i am seriously considering and i doubt i will be alone in that case. This is why i feel i need to express my annoyance at such a decision. You will most probably feel differently but long-term members should be given some reward for their loyalty not be given an ultimatum.
Many people when faced with plan change options actually find they can get a more suitable plan at a lower cost without too much trouble with Exetel. Just have a good look at your usage over the past 12 months once you login to the user facilities, then see if you can't find a better more appropriate plan before fleeing.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 am

schuforever wrote:I have never heard of this happening at any other provider
At the heart of the change is a price increase for out of contract customers. This happens all the time, for all service providers (not just ISPs) at some point in time by simple virtue of price inflation.
schuforever wrote:All other avenues should have been explored before attacking those who have been most loyal.
What makes you suspect that this was not the case here?
schuforever wrote:The other option to me is to cancel my account and look towards another provider which i am seriously considering and i doubt i will be alone in that case. This is why i feel i need to express my annoyance at such a decision.
If you say that you can get better (i.e. cheaper) internet elsewhere, why are you annoyed? At the heart of free markets and capitalism is the ability for providers to alter prices and for users to choose between competitors. That is exactly what is happening here; you still have complete and free choice of provider

Basically, this is a business and pricing decision. As a customer, we must all make choices in response to this, but I find it strange when people create a forum account to express their outrage or disappointment at this decision of Exetel. We are customers, not shareholders. Instead of outrage, why not simply think to yourself "oh well, the landscape and parameters that affect my decision have now changed. Goodbye and thanks for the fish"? Alternatively, as Affinity has stated, the new plans still represent incredibly good value to users. It is simply that, as with the rest of the industry, these new plans are catering for different circumstances to the past (i.e. a focus on bundling products to achieve value, higher download quotas for cost efficiency and recognition that carriers heavily reward new contracts)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 am

Im just considering options here, but can someone explain the difference between ADSL2 (keep your existing PTSN) and ADSL2 such as A60 (No telephone)? I thought the 1st was Exetel Internet and keep my existing phone provider for phone services, but the second suggests the same thing as in Exetel provides no phone. Or does that mean having the line connection for internet use for those who actually dont even want a land line phone?

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 am

I'm more than happy with the new plans.

Last year my peak download got upped from 50 to 100G (even though I was happy with 50G), so I've taken up OF60, meaning my monthly bill has gone from $73 to $75 per month (and my monthly allowance has fallen from 100G to 60G – only ever used 40G anyway). Off peak of 4.00am to 2.00pm suits us fine. The $25-35 worth of monthly phone calls we make on our landline per month are now free, so our family monthly spend has fallen/will fall from $95-$110 per month to $75 per month. Sweet.

Three questions though....
1. I signed up for a 12-month contract and my Feb 2011 invoice has plan change of $0, but member facilities just has "Initial Contract End Date" of July 2008. Is there a field somewhere that tells me my new "End Contract Date " (1/2/2012)?

2. Wasn't there some discussion about refund of plan change fees for plans changed after Oct 2010 (or is that why this particular plan change was $0)?

3. Member's Facilities still says "0.35 CONNECTION CHARGE APPLIES TO MOBILE CALL, NATIONAL CALL......" - isn't that free under the OF60+ plans (or is that part of default web page)?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am

Better Gary wrote:Im just considering options here, but can someone explain the difference between ADSL2 (keep your existing PTSN) and ADSL2 such as A60 (No telephone)? I thought the 1st was Exetel Internet and keep my existing phone provider for phone services, but the second suggests the same thing as in Exetel provides no phone.
Correct. "A" plans are AAPT plans. They overlay internet only, not telephone meaning you keep your own phone line intact
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 am

Yuri wrote:1. I signed up for a 12-month contract and my Feb 2011 invoice has plan change of $0, but member facilities just has "Initial Contract End Date" of July 2008. Is there a field somewhere that tells me my new "End Contract Date " (1/2/2012)?
The "Initial Contract End Date" field has been slightly problematic in the past. Email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au for clarification and correction of that field for you plan
Yuri wrote:2. Wasn't there some discussion about refund of plan change fees for plans changed after Oct 2010 (or is that why this particular plan change was $0)?
The discussion was that if you previously paid a plan change fee after Oct 2010, and you elected to change plans again, then one of the two would be rebated. So having a $0 plan change this time around would explain it
Yuri wrote:3. Member's Facilities still says "0.35 CONNECTION CHARGE APPLIES TO MOBILE CALL, NATIONAL CALL......" - isn't that free under the OF60+ plans (or is that part of default web page)?
Might just be static text that applies to other phone plans, but I agree, it would benefit from correction for OF60+ plans that have free calls. I suggest you include this in your email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au too

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 am

This topic has continued past any useful point.

If there is more to be said please open a new thread.