Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
John W

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by John W » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:41 pm

This change for me results in going from a nominal $48, (actual $50 for reasons never explained) to (presumably) $60 on my present TE-K plan (10 GB + 20 GB offpeak). That's a 20% increase. Or, I could change to a T8-30 plan and pay $65 (which is probably $67 in fact) for 30GB plus 180 GB off peak. Sounds better value, but my actual usage is only about 4GB plus 3 GB offpeak. Sound complicated? It is! Can anyone tell me why I'm paying $2 per month to pay by direct deposit? Is there a fee-free way of paying? I'm annoyed by the need to change plans so frequently, the need to buy vastly more capacity than I use, and that $2 fee when I pay my account in the most cost effective manner is pretty close to the last straw!

Is there a fee-free way of paying?

John
John W

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:54 pm

John W wrote:This change for me results in going from a nominal $48, (actual $50 for reasons never explained) to (presumably) $60 on my present TE-K plan (10 GB + 20 GB offpeak). That's a 20% increase. Or, I could change to a T8-30 plan and pay $65 (which is probably $67 in fact) for 30GB plus 180 GB off peak. Sounds better value, but my actual usage is only about 4GB plus 3 GB offpeak. Sound complicated? It is! Can anyone tell me why I'm paying $2 per month to pay by direct deposit? Is there a fee-free way of paying? I'm annoyed by the need to change plans so frequently, the need to buy vastly more capacity than I use, and that $2 fee when I pay my account in the most cost effective manner is pretty close to the last straw!

Is there a fee-free way of paying?

John
There is no reason for some sort of $2.00 charge. Please email billing if you see such a charge.

Perhaps a PAYU plan would be the most economical for you?

kkymdell

Post by kkymdell » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi,

I am currently on an 'old' ADSL1 plan and need to change to a newer (current) plan as advised by Exetel in recent emails. I would like to switch to the ADSL2 OT30/35 plan but do not see this an an option in the User Facilities i.e. it appears to be a plan for new customers only. I realise that I would probably have to take the 12 month contract by switching to such a plan - this is not a problem.

What is the best course of action to take to switch to the OT30/35 plan? Do I simply order it and let exetel take care of 'cancelling' my old plan, or is there some other process that I need to follow first? My PSTN line is currently with Telstra.

Thanks.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:14 pm

kkymdell wrote:I am currently on an 'old' ADSL1 plan and need to change to a newer (current) plan as advised by Exetel in recent emails. I would like to switch to the ADSL2 OT30/35 plan but do not see this an an option in the User Facilities i.e. it appears to be a plan for new customers only. I realise that I would probably have to take the 12 month contract by switching to such a plan - this is not a problem.

What is the best course of action to take to switch to the OT30/35 plan? Do I simply order it and let exetel take care of 'cancelling' my old plan, or is there some other process that I need to follow first? My PSTN line is currently with Telstra.
First off you need to qualify your phone line .... it must be at an exchange that has an Optus DSLAM installed with an available port. More than that, you need to NOT be on a RIM. There may be other factors, if you like, you can PM me your number and I'll do a proper SQ on it, the best that I can.

Kind Regards
AndrewM

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:32 pm

kkymdell wrote:Hi,

I am currently on an 'old' ADSL1 plan and need to change to a newer (current) plan as advised by Exetel in recent emails. I would like to switch to the ADSL2 OT30/35 plan but do not see this an an option in the User Facilities i.e. it appears to be a plan for new customers only. I realise that I would probably have to take the 12 month contract by switching to such a plan - this is not a problem.

Thanks.
There should be no reason that you can't switch unless your exchange doesn't have Optus ports available.

Please call sales and they will be able to advise you.

John W

Post by John W » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:23 pm

ForumAdmin, thank you for your prompt response re an anomolous $2 fee tacked onto my bill each month. I'll certainly talk to billing as you suggest. It's been going on so long now that I must be owed at least a month's free access!

re your suggestion to look at PAYU options - I'm limited to a Telstra feed, and because of the high cost of the Telstra ADSL2 offers have stuck with ADSL. I see there are now 2 low usage options with ADSL2. One is T20-PAYU at $60 plus $1 per GB ("ADSL2 (via Telstra) Plans - You keep your existing Telephone (PSTN) service active"). The second is A-PAYU ("ADSL2 (No Telephone)") at $25 with zero GB and no mention of any charge per GB.

I do not understand! What's the "no telephone" about and what does A-PAYU actually offer???? It appears to be no phone and no internet, for just $25 per month????

Cheers

John
John W

wood88

Post by wood88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:48 pm

To Exetel Admin,

Im going to change over to one of the newer plans and was wondering if im allowed to change the contract name from my brothers to my name, as he will be moving out soon.
I see at the end of the contract that you need to add in your name in the sentence:

"I ______________ _____________ understand the protections and rights under the customer Service Guarantee and agree to waive all protections and rights under the Customer Service guarantee with respect to the provision of the Services by Exetel to me. (By choosing to waive the customer service guarantee my installation fee has been reduced)"

Would i be able to change it here or will i need to pay an additional fee?
Our last names are the same if it makes any difference, so only the first name will be changing.

Thanks

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:24 pm

wood88 wrote:To Exetel Admin,

Im going to change over to one of the newer plans and was wondering if im allowed to change the contract name from my brothers to my name, as he will be moving out soon.
I see at the end of the contract that you need to add in your name in the sentence:

"I ______________ _____________ understand the protections and rights under the customer Service Guarantee and agree to waive all protections and rights under the Customer Service guarantee with respect to the provision of the Services by Exetel to me. (By choosing to waive the customer service guarantee my installation fee has been reduced)"

Would i be able to change it here or will i need to pay an additional fee?
Our last names are the same if it makes any difference, so only the first name will be changing.

Thanks
Hi,

A quick email to billing@exetel.com.au will help you sort this out.

James

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:39 pm

John W wrote:ForumAdmin, thank you for your prompt response re an anomolous $2 fee tacked onto my bill each month. I'll certainly talk to billing as you suggest. It's been going on so long now that I must be owed at least a month's free access!

re your suggestion to look at PAYU options - I'm limited to a Telstra feed, and because of the high cost of the Telstra ADSL2 offers have stuck with ADSL. I see there are now 2 low usage options with ADSL2. One is T20-PAYU at $60 plus $1 per GB ("ADSL2 (via Telstra) Plans - You keep your existing Telephone (PSTN) service active"). The second is A-PAYU ("ADSL2 (No Telephone)") at $25 with zero GB and no mention of any charge per GB.

I do not understand! What's the "no telephone" about and what does A-PAYU actually offer???? It appears to be no phone and no internet, for just $25 per month????

Cheers

John
A-PAYU is an unbundled ADSL2+ option that uses your exisitng Telstra line. So you pay Telstra for line rental, and then pay Exetel $25/month + $2 per GB for ADSL2 (not sure why you don't see the "per GB" amount, but it is there on the main Exetel page at http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php under the "Premium AAPT plan" tab labelled "ADSL2+ only" at the very bottom of the page). However...this plan requires that your exchange be AAPT enabled, and even though there is no downtime to change into it, you'll probably incur downtime if you every wish to change out of it at a later date. Use http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_no_phone.pl to check the availability of this service on your phone number
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

John W

Post by John W » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks again for your assistance ForumAdmin.

You say : "A-PAYU is an unbundled ADSL2+ option that uses your exisitng Telstra line. So you pay Telstra for line rental, and then pay Exetel $25/month + $2 per GB for ADSL2 (not sure why you don't see the "per GB" amount, but it is there on the main Exetel page at http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php under the "Premium AAPT plan" tab labelled "ADSL2+ only" at the very bottom of the page). However...this plan requires that your exchange be AAPT enabled, and even though there is no downtime to change into it, you'll probably incur downtime if you every wish to change out of it at a later date. Use http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_no_phone.pl to check the availability of this service on your phone number"

When I go in through Exetel member Tools|Manage Services|Change Services I'm offered several ADSL1 options plus two blocks of ADSL2 options. The first of the ADSL2 is Teltra and is even more expensive than the Exetel fast ADSL1 service. The second appears to be the AAPT offer, including A-PAYU at $25 plus the $2 per GB. The latter is very attractive, but only if the little local exchange is "AAPT enabled". How do I find out about "AAPT enabled"? Should I simply try to move my home phone to AAPT ???? or is there more than that implied by "AAPT enabled"???

Thank you for your patience!!

Cheers

John
John W

sable

Post by sable » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:33 am

The second appears to be the AAPT offer, including A-PAYU at $25 plus the $2 per GB. The latter is very attractive, but only if the little local exchange is "AAPT enabled". How do I find out about "AAPT enabled"? Should I simply try to move my home phone to AAPT ???? or is there more than that implied by "AAPT enabled"???
No you do not have to move your home phone to AAPT, you just have to find out if your exchange is enabled for the AAPT ADSL2 service - you do this by entering for phone number here http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_no_phone.pl

If your exchange is not enabled or there are no free prts you are stuck with a resold Telstra plan. There is an ADSL2 PAYU plan at $60 per month + $1 per Gb or part thereof download and I understand ther will be listed in your user facility soon an 8Mb PAYU plan which is availble for new users at $42.50 per month + download at $1 per Gb or part thereof.

You might like to wait until this plan becomes available.

John W

Post by John W » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:53 am

Thank you Sable. The link advises "Sorry, your ADSL2 order cannot proceed at this moment as the number you entered is not recognized as being connected to an ADSL enabled Powertel exchange." which I think means there are no free ports, as our little exchange certainly supports ADSL2. I don't think the link you provided relates to "AAPT enabled"?, not that it matters if there are no ports. Reckon I'll simply wait for that new option you mention and look around for alternative offerings from other ISP's.

Cheers

John
John W

sable

Post by sable » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:18 pm

John W wrote:Thank you Sable. The link advises "Sorry, your ADSL2 order cannot proceed at this moment as the number you entered is not recognized as being connected to an ADSL enabled Powertel exchange." which I think means there are no free ports, as our little exchange certainly supports ADSL2. I don't think the link you provided relates to "AAPT enabled"?, not that it matters if there are no ports. Reckon I'll simply wait for that new option you mention and look around for alternative offerings from other ISP's.

Cheers

John
No it will more likely be your exchange is not Powertel/AAPT enabled. The fact your exchange supports ADSL2 does not mean you are able to get ADSL2 from the provider of your choice! More than likely you can only get expensive ADSL2 on Telstra infrastructure.

What exchange are you on?

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:26 pm

sable wrote:No it will more likely be your exchange is not Powertel/AAPT enabled. The fact your exchange supports ADSL2 does not mean you are able to get ADSL2 from the provider of your choice! More than likely you can only get expensive ADSL2 on Telstra infrastructure.

There is more to consider than the exchange and the equipment available there. There are plenty on RIMS too and that won't allow you to get any ADSL2 option other than a Telstra Wholesale one.... It won't matter if EVERY provider has a DSLAM in your local exchange if you are on a RIM.

sable

Post by sable » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Affinity wrote:
sable wrote:No it will more likely be your exchange is not Powertel/AAPT enabled. The fact your exchange supports ADSL2 does not mean you are able to get ADSL2 from the provider of your choice! More than likely you can only get expensive ADSL2 on Telstra infrastructure.

There is more to consider than the exchange and the equipment available there. There are plenty on RIMS too and that won't allow you to get any ADSL2 option other than a Telstra Wholesale one.... It won't matter if EVERY provider has a DSLAM in your local exchange if you are on a RIM.
You are right, but I was taking into account JohnW's desription of his exchange as "little", Our major exchange in major NSW regional city has only Telstra adsl2 and TPG of the majors, no Optus, Powertel or Iinet.