Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Locked
ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by ronald » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
dragon wrote:quick question.
why are the OCV plans under 'naked' adsl?
unless im incorrect (if i am can someone correct me? because it means i've misunderstood a lot of this thread) the new ocv plans reactivate the pstn line so its not really a naked service. would it be more correct to call it a adsl2+ bundled with home phone line plan?
im just trying to get around the ocv plan being under "naked" adsl.. i feel like im misunderstanding something..
The OCV plans are special offers to current Naked users to give them an incentive to re-activate their crippled PSTN line.

There is no such thing as a naked service - it is marketing smoke and mirrors.

naked service require a PSTN ULL line which the provider subsequently cripples by removing the ability to make telephone calls over it.

It is a particularly stupid thing to do with no benefit to anyone.
That may well be so, but it doesn't change the fact that everyone, including Exetel, have so far been marketing ADSL service on a line with no active PSTN as naked, so that's what everyone now knows as naked, in other words that is what naked now means. Exetel suddenly deciding to call ADSL with an active PSTN 'naked' does nothing but muddy the waters and create confusion. That's about as naked as I am when I say "I'm 'naked' but I'm also wearing a suit."
("And being naked is insane anyway because I can wear what I want, anytime." he added, mischievously.)

It also seems safe to assume that the PSTN service does not come for free; in fact if I remember correctly, you stated at some point in the discussion that Optus charges you something like $6.60 per month for it, with the inclusions that come with it. Personally, I'd be quite happy to stay with VoIP only if that helps to reduce the base cost. (And, as stated elsewhere already, those inclusions would not save me all that much money compared to VoIP.)

On another topic also related to service costs, you stated here (and John Linton posted something similar on his blog) some numbers that suggest a cost of around $0.80 per GB. I understand that that's probably an approximate and average value, however I find it hard to believe that 180GB of off-peak quota for everyone come at close to no cost to Exetel, and that a plan with less of that (I'd be happy with 10-15% of it, actually) and no PSTN could not be offered at a profit any cheaper than those non-naked 'naked' current plans with their huge quotas.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:21 pm

mjsgh wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Oh...ok. So porting of a VoIP number to the new PSTN is that like forwarding the VoIP incoming call? So there will be a VoIP call charge?
..

It is nothing like forwarding a call to another number.

It is simply using your 10 digit VoIP number as your PSTN number.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:33 pm

ronald wrote:

It also seems safe to assume that the PSTN service does not come for free; in fact if I remember correctly, you stated at some point in the discussion that Optus charges you something like $6.60 per month for it
If you have read that then whoever wrote it must have been quite muddled.....I hope it wasn't me.

The difference between a 'full service' PSTN line and a 'crippled'. PSTN line to Exetel is now around $3.00.

Any ADSL service MUST have a PSTN line.

It is harder to provision a crippled PSTN line based service for the provider and its harder to move away from a crippled PSTN line for an end customer. It is also harder to diagnose faults on a crippled PSTN line for both Exetel and Optus - and I would also think it would be harder for Telstra.

I can see zero benefits of providing crippled PSTN lines now that the price difference is minimal.

If you want to run VoIP over a full service PSTN line then nothing changes.

"Naked" ADSL has always been a marketing smoke and mirrors piece of chicanery of no value to anyone.

Mort
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm

My explanation for this is:

old Naked = Crippled PSTN (ForumAdmin is now just choosing to use non-marketing terminology)
new "Naked" = Same ADSL but with extra "phone" feature you can choose to use, or not.

If you don't want a "full service" PSTN enabled ADSL connection (ie, you want to stay "Naked") then it's simple. Just get the new plan (with PSTN) and don't use the PSTN number. Not using it is the same as not having it in the first place. You don't need to change anything in your existing wiring setup, don't need to add filters or anything. Just don't use the land-line component for phone calls at all.

However, it would seem strange to me to not to want to take advantage of the free calls. Even though VoIP is cheap, it's still not free. I don't use VoIP that much, but it will still save me $7 in VoIP calls, and save the $3 admin charge, so I've already broken even. On top of that I can look at ditching my Telstra line and save that line rental as well which makes it even better!
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

srini
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by srini » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:08 pm

paulp wrote:
Could someone confirm the relocation fee for Optus service customers?
I am doing this now. I'll advise once I get confirmation. It should be a no charge for relocating within contract, but again, Im checking on this.
Hi Paul,

Were you able to confirm the relocation charge for Optus service customers?
An early update would be highly appriciated.

Regards

Krikey
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by Krikey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Hello

I am considering changing from a NAK2B plan to the OCV200/19 plan.

In fact, I got as far as the confirmation page on the application website when I got confused by the 'HSPA order agreement' with stuff about cancellation of the service if it isn't used for two months.

I am not really sure what HSPA means. There is also a proviso for 'hardware cost' being billed, but I don't want or need any hardware.

I have a desktop computer connected via a modem to the phone socket in the wall. I have a very basic mobile phone with no 3G web-surfing capacity. I use it to text and make phone calls only. Is the OCV200/19 plan right for my needs; in other words, a good non-wireless ADSL2 connection for my computer and non-3G phone service for my mobile?

Finally, do I keep my VOIP phone number?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

David

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Krikey wrote:Hello

I am considering changing from a NAK2B plan to the OCV200/19 plan.

In fact, I got as far as the confirmation page on the application website when I got confused by the 'HSPA order agreement' with stuff about cancellation of the service if it isn't used for two months.

I am not really sure what HSPA means. There is also a proviso for 'hardware cost' being billed, but I don't want or need any hardware.

I have a desktop computer connected via a modem to the phone socket in the wall. I have a very basic mobile phone with no 3G web-surfing capacity. I use it to text and make phone calls only. Is the OCV200/19 plan right for my needs; in other words, a good non-wireless ADSL2 connection for my computer and non-3G phone service for my mobile?

Finally, do I keep my VOIP phone number?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

HSPA has nothing to do with your plan change and I've asked someone to look at the form you are using.



David

Krikey
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by Krikey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:47 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Krikey wrote:Hello

I am considering changing from a NAK2B plan to the OCV200/19 plan.

In fact, I got as far as the confirmation page on the application website when I got confused by the 'HSPA order agreement' with stuff about cancellation of the service if it isn't used for two months.

I am not really sure what HSPA means. There is also a proviso for 'hardware cost' being billed, but I don't want or need any hardware.

I have a desktop computer connected via a modem to the phone socket in the wall. I have a very basic mobile phone with no 3G web-surfing capacity. I use it to text and make phone calls only. Is the OCV200/19 plan right for my needs; in other words, a good non-wireless ADSL2 connection for my computer and non-3G phone service for my mobile?

Finally, do I keep my VOIP phone number?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

HSPA has nothing to do with your plan change and I've asked someone to look at the form you are using.



David
Thanks for the swift reply. I encounter the HSPA info from: Exetel Members Facilities / Manage services / ADSL / Change Service to OCV200/19.
The HSPA information is towards the bottom of that form and again on the final confirmation page.

David

Syalinho
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:00 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by Syalinho » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Affinity wrote:
Syalinho wrote:From my “change plan” website information, two kinds of plans are available for me. One is “A” plan and the other is “O” plan. So, this means AAPT and Optus are two providers in my exchange.

My landline provider is Telstra.

If I change to “A30” plan, it means I still have my Telstra as my landline provider. I will pay ADSL cost to Exetel and telephone fee to Telstra.

Hope all above are correct.

But, if I change to “OVC200” (ADSL2 and telephone) plan, does it mean Optus will be my landline provider? Then, can I keep my current telephone number? What is the telephone rate?
Even though your user facilities is showing the AAPT set of plans, you probably need to do a check on your number anyway to be more sure.

If you are able to choose the OCV plans, then Exetel will bill your land line as your provider using the Optus Wholesale product option.

Your land line (PSTN) number will remain as is. OCV plans include line rental in the plan cost.

Many thanks to Affinity.

Can you tell me more about what you said "Even though your user facilities is showing the AAPT set of plans, you probably need to do a check on your number anyway to be more sure." What do I need to check for more sure?

One more question. My plan is ADSL1 and my modem is NB1. After changing to ADSL2 (either “A” or “O” plan), should I have to do any setting changes in my NB1 modem?

By the way, what is central splitter? I find that I was asked to answer if I have a central splitter when I am doing the changing plan process.

Thanks in advance.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:00 pm

David[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for the swift reply. I encounter the HSPA info from: Exetel Members Facilities / Manage services / ADSL / Change Service to OCV200/19.
The HSPA information is towards the bottom of that form and again on the final confirmation page.

David[/quote]

The form should now be fixed.

I've asked someone competent to follow up with you.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Syalinho, your last questions are a bit off-topic in this huge thread, so I'll move them to a new one. viewtopic.php?f=284&t=37490

Affinity
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:33 pm

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by Affinity » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:44 am

Syalinho wrote: Can you tell me more about what you said "Even though your user facilities is showing the AAPT set of plans, you probably need to do a check on your number anyway to be more sure." What do I need to check for more sure?
Test your number here for the AAPT plans:
http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2.pl
One more question. My plan is ADSL1 and my modem is NB1. After changing to ADSL2 (either “A” or “O” plan), should I have to do any setting changes in my NB1 modem?
You won't need anything special in your modem settings, so long as it supports ADSL2 -- otherwise you will _possibly_ be limited to slower ADSL1 speeds -- although sometimes ADSL1 speeds are as good as it gets..... depends on your phone line.
By the way, what is central splitter? I find that I was asked to answer if I have a central splitter when I am doing the changing plan process.
A central splitter is not necessarily required, it depends on many things -- if you have more than 3 or 4 phone points for the line that is running your ADSL service, then a central filter may be the way to go. A central filter, does filtering in ONE place and the lines to each of the sockets are all filtered except for the single point that you need to plug in your modem. Without a central filter, every telephone like device other than the modem will need a filter.

raymond
Exetel Staff
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by raymond » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:53 am

Krikey wrote: Thanks for the swift reply. I encounter the HSPA info from: Exetel Members Facilities / Manage services / ADSL / Change Service to OCV200/19.
The HSPA information is towards the bottom of that form and again on the final confirmation page.

David
It has been corrected.

gstark
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Beautiful downtown Bondi.

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by gstark » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 am

In November I was called by Exetel and offered a new plan, but was told that it needed to be under a contract.

As I do not wish to be under a contract (what's wrong my existing, extensive history with Exetel?) I declined, but I was subsequently told - on this forum - that I could still take that offer, but pay a $20 sign-up fee, and that the option for that plan would appear on the Exetel website before the end of that month.

It's now some two months later, the sign-up fee had grown to $40, but that plan has still not yet appeared on the Exetel website. Certainly not under my "Change Plan" options, although I have asked about this, in these forums, several times.

Would it be possible to have some straight answers on this, please? And no, telling me to ring customer support pre-supposes that I have time to do that; I do not.

Thank you.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:37 am

gstark wrote:In November I was called by Exetel and offered a new plan, but was told that it needed to be under a contract.

As I do not wish to be under a contract (what's wrong my existing, extensive history with Exetel?) I declined, but I was subsequently told - on this forum - that I could still take that offer, but pay a $20 sign-up fee, and that the option for that plan would appear on the Exetel website before the end of that month.

It's now some two months later, the sign-up fee had grown to $40, but that plan has still not yet appeared on the Exetel website. Certainly not under my "Change Plan" options, although I have asked about this, in these forums, several times.

Would it be possible to have some straight answers on this, please? And no, telling me to ring customer support pre-supposes that I have time to do that; I do not.

Thank you.
The only plans available for current customers are shown in your user facilities.

I have written several explanations of why new contracts are needed to provide maximum benefits to current users and, perhaps like you, I don't have time to re-write those posts.

Locked