Billing Date Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
User avatar
Mulder
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 pm

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by Mulder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Well the first I knew about this was today but this topic has been going for 10 days. I dont frequent these forums unless I need to know something. So it looks like I dont get a say in it, Im just throw into the single service mob and my billing date will change. I prefered the first of each month for my bill.
What is it with Exetel lately? FIrst you change a plan I was only two days into by increasing it by $10 then you want to change the billing date that I have had for years to something I dont want or like.
No wonder I have been looking elsewhere. If I had ADSL2 at my exchange I would have left you lot by now.
Been with exetel since 2004 and you treat your long time customers now with contempt.
David

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6000
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I've had several billing date changes in the various services I use over the years - perhaps you only notice this one because of the credit card debit. It doesn't seem contemptuous to me. A change of date is pretty trivial to the customer really. The other utilities haven't even sought our opinions. The reason for the change:
We will advise approximately 50% of our customers today that we are changing their billing date - from the 1st of each month to the 28th of each month. We will accomplish this by only billing that 50% of our customers for 27/31 of their March monthly costs on March 1st and then billing them again on 28th April for the period 28th April to 27th May. We have only had one billing day since we commenced business over seven years ago but despite upgrading the hardware used to run the billing processes many times and rewriting the code more than a few times the number of customers and the number of services has kept increasing and the billing run has now passed 10 hours to complete and is heading for 12 hours within a few months.

The danger of the growth in billing transactions required to be processed was that if the bill run failed to complete, for whatever reason when it had reached 12 hours it couldn't be re-run on that day and that would eventually cause some major reconciliation head aches.

User avatar
Mulder
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 pm

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by Mulder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:25 pm

A change of date is trivial to the customer? Obviously you dont get paid monthly and on the first of each month. At the end of the month most people in my position are scratching to get by and hanging on for pay day. That is why I like to get all the bills paid for and out of the way as close to the beginning of the month as I can.
Trivial? What a joke.

peber
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:42 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by peber » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Is there any chance data usage can/will be reset to match the new billing dates?

I couldn't really care less what date I get billed, but if the usage data was to have this same methodology applied, then perhaps it would reduce some of the strain on the network come the end of the month when people spend the last 2-3 days smashing their links? 8)


Edit: Just another question - how does this impact people who are still within their contract periods?
eg, there will be a discrepancy now between a billing date of say, 26/05/2011 and their contract end date of say, 01/06/2011?

peber
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:42 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by peber » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Mulder wrote:Obviously you dont get paid monthly and on the first of each month.
Trivial? What a joke.
I don't understand why you are so outraged by this proposal? I get paid monthly and I budget accordingly.
Do you buy your entire months worth of food on the first of each month to ensure you have enough to eat too?
Exetel is about the only service provider I have who bills on the first of the month!

aglenday
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:44 pm
Location: Richmond, NSW
Contact:

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by aglenday » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Since March 1st 2004 Exetel has done one billing run per month - on the first working day of each month.
I haven't been with Exetel since March 2004 but I remember when Exetel billed on the 1st and the 15th, once for phone services and the other for internet. I think it changed around March 2005. That's a minor point though.
Dazzled wrote:I've had several billing date changes in the various services I use over the years - perhaps you only notice this one because of the credit card debit. It doesn't seem contemptuous to me. A change of date is pretty trivial to the customer really. The other utilities haven't even sought our opinions.
The other utilities send you a bill and give you a week or two to pay it. I run a business and use Exetel for my internet and mobile phones, that causes my bills from Exetel to be higher than my utilities are, and I'm fine with that, I use it and I should pay for it. Having a big charge taken from my debit card often finds me unprepared and without internet on the 1st of the month. I don't care when I'm billed, I'd like some notice so I can make sure the money is on the card before I lose my internet.

AITCS
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:28 am
Location: Wollongong

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by AITCS » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Looks like I'm on the list of forced users with zero notification.

What will happen to usage quotas with the billing change?
Will they still start on the first of the month, or changed to be on the same day as billing?

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 pm

aglenday wrote: Having a big charge taken from my debit card often finds me unprepared and without internet on the 1st of the month. I don't care when I'm billed, I'd like some notice so I can make sure the money is on the card before I lose my internet.
That should never be the case.

If your internet is blocked for non-payment you should see a block page telling you that your DD failed and allowing you to simply press an acknowledge button and get three days 'grace' to make the required payment.

As advised - the three day grace period will be extended to seven days on the April 28 bill run to cater for people with payment problems caused by a changed billing date.

It's hard to see how anyone can be inconvenienced by that.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 pm

AITCS wrote:Looks like I'm on the list of forced users with zero notification.

What will happen to usage quotas with the billing change?
Will they still start on the first of the month, or changed to be on the same day as billing?
Changed to the new billing period.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 pm

peber wrote:
1)Is there any chance data usage can/will be reset to match the new billing dates?


2)Edit: Just another question - how does this impact people who are still within their contract periods?
eg, there will be a discrepancy now between a billing date of say, 26/05/2011 and their contract end date of say, 01/06/2011?
1) That will happen on the date the billing changes

2) The contract end date was always the day of the month that the service was activated - so nothing changes,

Yuri
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:27 am

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by Yuri » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 pm

AITCS wrote:Looks like I'm on the list of forced users with zero notification.
With respect, changes won't affect you till 28 March - that's six week's notification. You'll still be billed on 1st March (for 28 days), then thereafter on 28th month.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Mulder wrote:Well the first I knew about this was today but this topic has been going for 10 days. I dont frequent these forums unless I need to know something. So it looks like I dont get a say in it, Im just throw into the single service mob and my billing date will change. I prefered the first of each month for my bill.
What is it with Exetel lately? FIrst you change a plan I was only two days into by increasing it by $10 then you want to change the billing date that I have had for years to something I dont want or like.
No wonder I have been looking elsewhere. If I had ADSL2 at my exchange I would have left you lot by now.
Been with exetel since 2004 and you treat your long time customers now with contempt.
David
Personally I just can't see how changing a billing date can be regarded as "contempt" or any other negative connotation for that matter....that was certainly not the intention.

You, and any other customer, will not be disadvantaged in any way. You can use the block page to get yourself a seven day grace period if your debit fails so where is the inconvenience?

aglenday
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:44 pm
Location: Richmond, NSW
Contact:

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by aglenday » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:46 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: That should never be the case.

If your internet is blocked for non-payment you should see a block page telling you that your DD failed and allowing you to simply press an acknowledge button and get three days 'grace' to make the required payment.

As advised - the three day grace period will be extended to seven days on the April 28 bill run to cater for people with payment problems caused by a changed billing date.

It's hard to see how anyone can be inconvenienced by that.
Actually its quite easy. I run my own DNS and mail server and have to change the DNS settings to Exetel's DNS so it redirects me to the failed payment page. I do know I can get the 3 day grace period but I have to go back to the office and change the DNS settings for that to happen. Even without having to do that the definition of inconvenienced means to be put out of their way to do something, having the internet disabled in the first place is inconvenient even without running my own mail server. My point was more being billed and disabled automatically without some kind of notice as to what the charge would be. Budgeting for the internet isn't the problem anyway, it's the mobile phone charges that vary from month to month causing the payment amount to be irregular.

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by jokiin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:22 pm

aglenday wrote:
Actually its quite easy. I run my own DNS and mail server and have to change the DNS settings to Exetel's DNS so it redirects me to the failed payment page. I do know I can get the 3 day grace period but I have to go back to the office and change the DNS settings for that to happen.
could just be me missing something here but why do you need to go to the site and change DNS settings etc?

aglenday
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:44 pm
Location: Richmond, NSW
Contact:

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by aglenday » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:45 pm

jokiin wrote:
aglenday wrote:
Actually its quite easy. I run my own DNS and mail server and have to change the DNS settings to Exetel's DNS so it redirects me to the failed payment page. I do know I can get the 3 day grace period but I have to go back to the office and change the DNS settings for that to happen.
could just be me missing something here but why do you need to go to the site and change DNS settings etc?
Seriously? You're a site admin and you're asking that? Ok here goes. Exetel basically drop a clients connection and log them in to a seperate section of their network when their payments fail. The then hijack DNS requests and redirect them to the failed payment page. Since I run my own DNS server and I query a DNS server outside of Exetel's network, when I have been logged into the failed payment portal any connections to the external DNS server time out causing a page cannot be displayed message. Once I change the settings to point to Exetel's DNS servers any page I go to redirects me to Exetel's "you're a deadbeat, pay up" page.

All of this is irrelevant, I didn't want to get in to a debate about this, merely point out that the billing date is the least of most people's problems as the bill has to be paid eventually, it'd just be nice to get a couple of days notice of the amount they can expect so they can make arrangements if they don't happen to use credit cards and use a debit card instead. I acknowledge that for mobiles they send weekly updates that make guesstimating the bill easier.

I like Exetel but as an agent I'm finding it harder to recommend them to customers, that however is a conversation I will leave to the agent forum.

Post Reply