IP Costs To Customers Will Increase

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

IP Costs To Customers Will Increase

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Doubtless you have read about the "Internet Running Out Of Addresses" stories that are becoming more frequent.

It is basically true that APNIC (the source of Australia's IP addresses) has allocated their last /8 block and is now 'drip feeding' v4 address blocks and only doing that very begrudgingly.

Exetel currently has no immediate concerns in terms of having enough address space to keep our business operating 'as usual' for the next two years over which time we will have to plan to use v6 addresses as and when our principal carriers make that possible - probably no later for the latest of them by the end of this calendar year.

Exetel has provided IP address blocks to many of our current residential and small business customers since we commenced in this business some seven years ago. We will continue to do this but we will now charge much higher prices for those blocks - immediately to new customers and when the twelve month contracts expire for current customers.

The new prices are on the web site.

ottyacat

Re: IP Costs To Customers Will Increase

Post by ottyacat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Gosh a /29 block is a pricey purchase now in comparison, not much can be done about that though. Mine was just renewed so i have a fair while before it needs to be paid and by that stage I probably won't need it any more. Any chance we can can have be ability to manage IP add-ons in our member facilities. We can order them (at the old pricing it still seems) under "order services", "hosting", "order ip addresses" but I cannot seem to find anywhere the ability to cancel them / choose a do not renew option under "hosting" in the "manage services section". Other than knowing I have a /29 block & the fact I get charged for it yearly there is no where at all (that i can find) that states i actually have an allocation.

Any change this could be added?

All the best.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:39 pm

ottyacat wrote:Gosh a /29 block is a pricey purchase now in comparison, not much can be done about that though. Mine was just renewed so i have a fair while before it needs to be paid and by that stage I probably won't need it any more. Any chance we can can have be ability to manage IP add-ons in our member facilities. We can order them (at the old pricing it still seems) under "order services", "hosting", "order ip addresses" but I cannot seem to find anywhere the ability to cancel them / choose a do not renew option under "hosting" in the "manage services section". Other than knowing I have a /29 block & the fact I get charged for it yearly there is no where at all (that i can find) that states i actually have an allocation.

All the best.
I'll see what can be done.

melanieb
Exetel Staff

Post by melanieb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm

ottyacat wrote:Gosh a /29 block is a pricey purchase now in comparison, not much can be done about that though. Mine was just renewed so i have a fair while before it needs to be paid and by that stage I probably won't need it any more. Any chance we can can have be ability to manage IP add-ons in our member facilities. We can order them (at the old pricing it still seems) under "order services", "hosting", "order ip addresses" but I cannot seem to find anywhere the ability to cancel them / choose a do not renew option under "hosting" in the "manage services section". Other than knowing I have a /29 block & the fact I get charged for it yearly there is no where at all (that i can find) that states i actually have an allocation.

All the best.
Hi Ottycat,

I have put in a request for these changes to be developed. I have not been provided with an ETA yet, but once received will notify you here.

Thank you for your suggestion,

Melanie

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:34 pm

melanieb wrote:
Hi Ottycat,

I have put in a request for these changes to be developed. I have not been provided with an ETA yet, but once received will notify you here.

Thank you for your suggestion,

Melanie
Thanks Melanie much appreciated!