Record IP Usage

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Record IP Usage

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 am

As can be seen here:

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php

last night was a record for IP usage over the Exetel network - reaching almost 7.5 gbps (out of a total of 8 gbps available) yesterday evening.

Exetel has continually upgraded its network since its first customer was connected in early February 2004 and the next tranche of IP (1.25 gbps) is due in very early March from NTT - having been delayed by NextGen's inability to meet the original target date of early January due to having to deploy people to repair damage caused by the Queensland floods.

gong_guy

Re: Record IP Usage

Post by gong_guy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:38 am

If I read the chart correctly it seems you have finally solved the problem with the Off Peak period being overused.

Your highest usage is far and away higher in Peak time.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:47 am

True - a bit sad in a way - it is partially due to the large number of heavy down loaders who have churned away over the past two months or so.

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:True - a bit sad in a way - it is partially due to the large number of heavy down loaders who have churned away over the past two months or so.
Doesn't that make it more viable for everybody else?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:59 pm

samarium wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:True - a bit sad in a way - it is partially due to the large number of heavy down loaders who have churned away over the past two months or so.
As we run a zero contention network it makes no difference to other users.

My 'sad' comment was made in the context that we had managed to use most of the midnight to 6 am "wasted" bandwidth but with the departure of so many heavy down loaders that bandwidth is now 'under utilised'.

It will be interesting to see how we can find ways of turning that wasted money into something valuable again.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:30 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: but with the departure of so many heavy down loaders that bandwidth is now 'under utilised'.

It will be interesting to see how we can find ways of turning that wasted money into something valuable again.
Perhaps heavy down loaders or others could purchase low cost off peak GB's at a 'special' price with defined usage times?
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
samarium wrote:
As we run a zero contention network it makes no difference to other users.

My 'sad' comment was made in the context that we had managed to use most of the midnight to 6 am "wasted" bandwidth but with the departure of so many heavy down loaders that bandwidth is now 'under utilised'.

I was thinking of backhaul & IP costs rather than contention. Given you are saying "wasted", I guess you rent by bandwidth, not by data volume, and I supposed deferring future backhaul/IP expansion while taking on more customers doesn't gain you much.

lenvik

Post by lenvik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm

The link seems maxxed out. Speedtesting at 58ms and 400kbps (synced at 11518/812). There goes my WoW raid for tonight :(

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:09 am

lenvik wrote:The link seems maxxed out. Speedtesting at 58ms and 400kbps (synced at 11518/812). There goes my WoW raid for tonight :(
No link on Exetel's network has been "Maxed out" for a very long time.