$20.00 A Month For Full Service (Real) Telephone Line Rental

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
blak

Re: $20.00 A Month For Full Service (Real) Telephone Line Re

Post by blak » Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Im currently get ADSL2 from Exetel, and phone line rental from Tel$tra.
If I switch to one of your Exetel/Optus adsl and phone bundles, is there a possibility that my ADSL won't perform as well as it did on Tel$tra infrastructure?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue May 24, 2011 12:06 pm

blak wrote:Im currently get ADSL2 from Exetel, and phone line rental from Tel$tra.
If I switch to one of your Exetel/Optus adsl and phone bundles, is there a possibility that my ADSL won't perform as well as it did on Tel$tra infrastructure?
It's an impossible question to answer.

There is no way of knowing the respective loads on the carrier's equipment in the exchange at any point in time.

In theory, assuming both carriers provision correctly, there should be no noticeable difference.

blak

Post by blak » Tue May 24, 2011 5:37 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
blak wrote:Im currently get ADSL2 from Exetel, and phone line rental from Tel$tra.
It's an impossible question to answer.

There is no way of knowing the respective loads on the carrier's equipment in the exchange at any point in time.

In theory, assuming both carriers provision correctly, there should be no noticeable difference.
OK well how about this.
I am happy to give the Exetel/Optus bundle a go, but if I am not satisfied that the performance is the same or better than when I was on Tel$tra kit, then I can switch back at your expense?

Pyotr

Post by Pyotr » Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 pm

My own experience when I switched earlier this year: changeover from Exetel/AAPT to Exetel/Optus took about 4 weeks, no ADSL2 in this time although the Telstra line still worked in most of this waiting period; then had about half a week with no phone because in the changeover from Telstra to Optus my line was dead because by mistake it was connected to another house in the same suburb. When this was fixed, ADSL2 was initially much slower but after about a month of tweaking, a new modem and several requests to Exetel to adjust the line parameters, the speed is now about 75% of what it was before the switch to Optus.... main reason seems to be that the Optus standard and minimum noise margin is higher than AAPT's. I'm now on 9dB noise margin, the lowest it can go apparently. Quite a stable connection though. I am 3 km or so from the exchange so your experience might be different.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 pm

blak wrote:OK well how about this.
I am happy to give the Exetel/Optus bundle a go, but if I am not satisfied that the performance is the same or better than when I was on Tel$tra kit, then I can switch back at your expense?
Please be informed that the activation charge or other charges applied is the actual costs imposed by our wholesale suppliers, which means we have to pay our supplier to get the service activated and if you cancel the service within contract, we are liable to pay an early cancellation fee.

kym

Post by kym » Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 pm

With the Exetel/Optus plans that include 3000 minutes phone time (OF-xxx plans), does the landline-phone have any VOIP component under the covers? I ask because I use Exetel VOIP and it is very cheap but from time to time there are problems (echo, sound confusion, dailing failure, ...) and it has been good to have a (Telsta) landline phone as a backup or when making calls where sound quality has to be really good. So with the Exetel/Optus plan I would expect landline quality and no VOIP (under the covers).

Also, will there be a minutes meter to track total phone time for the month?

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 pm

kym wrote:With the Exetel/Optus plans that include 3000 minutes phone time (OF-xxx plans), does the landline-phone have any VOIP component under the covers?
What we offer with OF-xxx plans plans is a pure PSTN service... nothing to do with VoIP
kym wrote:Also, will there be a minutes meter to track total phone time for the month?
You will find the duration of calls and the cost of the call in each invoice.

kym

Post by kym » Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 am

thejeg wrote:
kym wrote:With the Exetel/Optus plans that include 3000 minutes phone time (OF-xxx plans), does the landline-phone have any VOIP component under the covers?
What we offer with OF-xxx plans plans is a pure PSTN service... nothing to do with VoIP
kym wrote:Also, will there be a minutes meter to track total phone time for the month?
Thanks for that. On that basis I have tried to switch to OF-100 but I get a response saying that this service is not available for me. I called the helpdesk and was told that there are no available Optus ports at my local exchange. How do I see about getting one or finding when one is available?

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 am

kym wrote:
thejeg wrote:
Thanks for that. On that basis I have tried to switch to OF-100 but I get a response saying that this service is not available for me. I called the helpdesk and was told that there are no available Optus ports at my local exchange. How do I see about getting one or finding when one is available?
There is no way for us to know when exactly a port will be available, the best way to is to regularly check with the helpdesk.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

peteru

Post by peteru » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 am

I've been contemplating a switch from NF/21BYOLINE to OT-20 or OT-100, which are both available to me in the user facilities.

However, I'm not sure if that is even possible. As far as I know, my exchange (Northbridge) does not have Optus infrastructure.

I believe I am connected to the AAPT/iiNet DSLAM and am pretty happy with the performance (Upstream: 1,022,200, Downstream: 20,416,900). Currently I get the PSTN through Telstra and as expected, "it just works."

So, what plans are actually available to me? If I was going to switch, would there be any changes in the way the service is provisioned that would result in any period of outage or a possible change in speed?

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu May 26, 2011 8:57 pm

peteru wrote:I've been contemplating a switch from NF/21BYOLINE to OT-20 or OT-100, which are both available to me in the user facilities.

However, I'm not sure if that is even possible. As far as I know, my exchange (Northbridge) does not have Optus infrastructure.

I believe I am connected to the AAPT/iiNet DSLAM and am pretty happy with the performance (Upstream: 1,022,200, Downstream: 20,416,900). Currently I get the PSTN through Telstra and as expected, "it just works."

So, what plans are actually available to me? If I was going to switch, would there be any changes in the way the service is provisioned that would result in any period of outage or a possible change in speed?
I have checked this but there are no Optus Equipment installed at your exchange. and as such.. ADSL2 services provided through Optus ADSl2 is not available for you........

soulless

Post by soulless » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 am

I'm currently on NF/23BYOLINE.

Will there be anymore Powertel/AAPT plans?
or will transferring to Telstra or Optus be our only options?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am

soulless wrote:I'm currently on NF/23BYOLINE.

Will there be anymore Powertel/AAPT plans?
or will transferring to Telstra or Optus be our only options?
At this time I would doubt that we will offer plans based on AAPT infrastructure in the future.

The Telstra infrastructure allows you to select your telephone biller and AAPT, in our opinion, have clearly signalled that they are not attempting to remain as a wholesale provider of residential internet services

robin

Post by robin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We have, belatedly, added the ability for Telstra or AAPT Infrastructure users to select Exetel as the biller of the telephone line on all ADSL services using the Telstra ADSL1 or ADSL2 port infrastructure.

The telephone line rental cost is $30.00 but the call charges are very low - around 30% less than almost all other suppliers for all call types.

Apart from getting all your monthly telephone/ADSL charges on a single invoice each month you will get a discount of $5.00 if you elect to sign for a twelve month contract.

If you just want lower cost telephone call charges then you can simply add this service on a month by month basis.
Hi, just have an enquiry. My ADSL (8M) plan already expired, and I have a cap19 plan, if I resign a 12month ADSL plan and select offer 3, then I do not need to pay the line rental. Am I right? Because the line rental for offer 3 is N/A. Thanks.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:33 pm

robin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have, belatedly, added the ability for Telstra or AAPT Infrastructure users to select Exetel as the biller of the telephone line on all ADSL services using the Telstra ADSL1 or ADSL2 port infrastructure.

The telephone line rental cost is $30.00 but the call charges are very low - around 30% less than almost all other suppliers for all call types.

Apart from getting all your monthly telephone/ADSL charges on a single invoice each month you will get a discount of $5.00 if you elect to sign for a twelve month contract.

If you just want lower cost telephone call charges then you can simply add this service on a month by month basis.
Hi, just have an enquiry. My ADSL (8M) plan already expired, and I have a cap19 plan, if I resign a 12month ADSL plan and select offer 3, then I do not need to pay the line rental. Am I right? Because the line rental for offer 3 is N/A. Thanks.
Yes, your right - offer 3 does not include a PSTN. If you go with this offer, you contract your ADSL service for 12 months and save up to $10 per month with the CAP19 plan.