Exetel/Vodafone Services End On June 30th 2011

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Exetel/Vodafone Services End On June 30th 2011

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Vodafone was Exetel's first mobile service 'partner' and we connected our first mobile user in July 2004.

While we have been very happy with the relationship we have never made much progress, for many different reasons, in really developing a sensible 'main stream' offering.

Since we began offering mobile services via Optus the majority of our Vodafone service customers have transferred to our Optus/Exetel plans but some 3,000 customers have not done that. Over the past few days we have put in many hours to come up with an offer that is 'impossible to refuse'

We have sent emails to all our remaining Vodafone/Exetel customers that their service will come to an end on 30th June and that before that time they should have transferred their current mobile service to one of the new 'V' Exetel Mobile plans or to another provider.

The new V plans start at $9.00 per month and there is no transfer/new sim cost (and of course they keep their previous number) if a current Exetel/Vodafone plan user signs up to transfer their old Vodafone based plan to a new Exetel/Optus plan before midnight on May 31st 2011.

Current Vodafone/Exetel plan users can now go to their user facilities and apply to change their plans on line.

mastcell

Re: Exetel/Vodafone Services End On June 30th 2011

Post by mastcell » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Dear Exetel,

What are the charges for call/SMS/data? This is not stated.

trk

Post by trk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Looking to make the swap too, but need to know things like:
(1) Is it a 12 month contract, or still month-to-month?
(2) As mentioned, what are the charge rates? Are they the same as the other Optus business plans?

I knew the Vodafone plans were too good to last :( Good trip while they were around though! Our work fleet (which is only 5 handsets) bill comes in each month at less than what Joe Average pays for his single residential account. The boss even sent me an email asking me to double check the bill because he thought Exetel had forgotten to charge us for things.

Dr Tezza

Post by Dr Tezza » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:16 pm

mastcell wrote:What are the charges for call/SMS/data? This is not stated.
Yes, I think we will all need to know this information, please.

Thanks

drtezza

Jyrn

Post by Jyrn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:28 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Since we began offering mobile services via Optus the majority of our Vodafone service customers have transferred to our Optus/Exetel plans but some 3,000 customers have not done that. Over the past few days we have put in many hours to come up with an offer that is 'impossible to refuse'
I would just like to know where the innovation is when you repackage the current CAP plans under a different name (V9= current CAP19 with the $10 discount included, V19=CAP35 with $15 discount included etc). Those of us who recieved the same offer last month to convert to CAP plans really face exactly the same choice. There is nothing new being presented just the same per-minute or CAP plans as per last month. The only beneficiaries of the new changes will be mobile subscribers who do not have ADSL products through exetel (I guess there will be at least some of the 3000 subscribers mentioned inthe original post who fit this description).

To really be innovative please produce a per-minute plan that comes within at least a cooee of the call costs (i.e. flagfall, costs per second etc) of the vodafone plans. For a user like my self a Optus per-minute plan is orders of magnitude more expensive as my typical call is less than 30 seconds.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun May 01, 2011 11:56 am

Jyrn wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Since we began offering mobile services via Optus the majority of our Vodafone service customers have transferred to our Optus/Exetel plans but some 3,000 customers have not done that. Over the past few days we have put in many hours to come up with an offer that is 'impossible to refuse'
I would just like to know where the innovation is when you repackage the current CAP plans under a different name (V9= current CAP19 with the $10 discount included, V19=CAP35 with $15 discount included etc). Those of us who recieved the same offer last month to convert to CAP plans really face exactly the same choice. There is nothing new being presented just the same per-minute or CAP plans as per last month. The only beneficiaries of the new changes will be mobile subscribers who do not have ADSL products through exetel (I guess there will be at least some of the 3000 subscribers mentioned inthe original post who fit this description).

To really be innovative please produce a per-minute plan that comes within at least a cooee of the call costs (i.e. flagfall, costs per second etc) of the vodafone plans. For a user like my self a Optus per-minute plan is orders of magnitude more expensive as my typical call is less than 30 seconds.
The 1,800 services that are being used by customers who have no other services with Exetel benefit enormously from the V plans and they are the majority of current customers who are still using the Vodafone/Exetel plans.

We have offered Vodafone based plans for the best part of seven years and I used one of our plans for over five years without any problems at a very low monthly bill as I am not someone who uses mobile telephony preferring moip for its ten cent per call land line charges. HoweverVodafone's reputation has suffered badly over the past two years and we have found it very difficult to maintain, let alone grow, our Vodafone/Exetel customers and therefore we have not been able to negotiate better pricing over the years.

In this telephone age where an increasing number of customers expect to get everything "free" and base every decision on cost rather than all the other aspects of a services 'components' it's more and more difficult for company's of Exetel's size to offer attractive 'deals'.

We have been trying to find a way of offering per minute plans using Optus but their base minute, and much worse, their base data charges make that very difficult. We will continue to look at what is possible next week but, to date, have found it impossible.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun May 01, 2011 11:58 am

Dr Tezza wrote:
mastcell wrote:What are the charges for call/SMS/data? This is not stated.
Yes, I think we will all need to know this information, please.

Thanks

drtezza
I have asked the people responsible to reply to you. I seem to lack the authority I once had in getting things done. I must address that issue.

Dr Tezza

Post by Dr Tezza » Sun May 01, 2011 12:05 pm

(I've been around long enough to know it'll get done when 'ForumAdmin' is involved ! Thanks.)

trk

Post by trk » Sun May 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Has Exetel ever considered offering handsets on their plans?

We have 5 numbers on Vodafone which need to be changed, and wish to bring a 6th (currently with Optus, contract about to expire) and soon a 7th (also on an Optus contract). The trouble is they - as well as the existing users - want new phones every couple of years. This is a fair enough thing, as the phones are provided as part of our wage "package" but it makes it fairly expensive to buy handsets outright in a lump sum like that.

I'd love to be able to get 7 handsets on 7 plans with the handset cost spread over the life of the contract all through Exetel to simplify matters.

I realise stocking hardware like that adds another level of complexity and drama, but if the range was kept nice and small and a dropshipping supplier was used it may be a possibility?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun May 01, 2011 4:13 pm

trk wrote:Has Exetel ever considered offering handsets on their plans?

We have 5 numbers on Vodafone which need to be changed, and wish to bring a 6th (currently with Optus, contract about to expire) and soon a 7th (also on an Optus contract). The trouble is they - as well as the existing users - want new phones every couple of years. This is a fair enough thing, as the phones are provided as part of our wage "package" but it makes it fairly expensive to buy handsets outright in a lump sum like that.

I'd love to be able to get 7 handsets on 7 plans with the handset cost spread over the life of the contract all through Exetel to simplify matters.

I realise stocking hardware like that adds another level of complexity and drama, but if the range was kept nice and small and a dropshipping supplier was used it may be a possibility?
We have considered offering hardware. Although you say the range could be small the reality is handset manufacturers only stay in business by constantly changing the hand set capabilities.

I have never purchased a handset from a carrier/reseller with a plan.

I buy in Sydney's China Town where the prices are often 50% lower than any retail phone shop and then I select a real plan that doesn't include the pay back pricing for the "free" hand set.

However we will have another look next week.

trk

Post by trk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:57 am

Wha sort of handsets do you favour?
Our preference would be for Android based handsets, as the various features have become invaluable to a small business.

I suspect it would be very hard for Exetel to be competitive on these devices? They are typically expensive (admittedly retail prices), and the assorted carriers are pushing them quite hard at greatly subsidised rates.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon May 02, 2011 8:45 am

Has Exetel ever considered offering handsets on their plans?
Yes.
Firstly, we will be offering handsets on our hardware store at a once-off buy price. This should happen by month-end (May).
Secondly, we will be considering offering handsets along with monthly plans. This will be probably a couple of months away should we decide to go that way.
These will almost certainly need to be contracted plans.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 am

Looking to make the swap too, but need to know things like:
(1) Is it a 12 month contract, or still month-to-month?
(2) As mentioned, what are the charge rates? Are they the same as the other Optus business plans?
1) These plans are not contracted.
2) Once the Call and SMS $value are exhausted, the rates are:
$0.99 per minute on the V9, V19 and V34 plans
$0.20 per minute on the V49, V69 plans
flagfalls are the same as stipulated on the plan pricing page

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon May 02, 2011 8:54 am

What are the charges for call/SMS/data? This is not stated.
These excess rates are as per the website:
$0.25 per SMS to all Australian mobile numbers.
$0.40 per SMS to International mobile numbers.
$0.275 per MB excess data rate.
$0.385 flagfall on calls within Australia.
$0.40 flagfall on International calls.

The call rates for the different plans are answered above.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 am

trk wrote:
Wha sort of handsets do you favour?
Our preference would be for Android based handsets, as the various features have become invaluable to a small business.

I suspect it would be very hard for Exetel to be competitive on these devices? They are typically expensive (admittedly retail prices), and the assorted carriers are pushing them quite hard at greatly subsidised rates.
Can you specify the exact model handset?