Exetel/Vodafone Services End On June 30th 2011

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
tones

Re: Exetel/Vodafone Services End On June 30th 2011

Post by tones » Mon May 02, 2011 1:01 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Can you specify the exact model handset?
I have only recently purchased a new handset but I think the best value Android's at the moment are the Huawei range
Ideos ( I got this for $99 + $20 to unlock it)
X5 (U8800) ($299 unlocked)

or the upcoming X6 which is also rumoured to be about $350

trk

Post by trk » Mon May 02, 2011 2:07 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Can you specify the exact model handset?
As a previous post mentioned, the Huawei IDEOS (U8150), IDEOS X5 (U8800), IDEOS X6 (U9000).

The premium handsets like Samsung Galaxy S (i9000), Nexus S, Desire and Desire HD are another option.

Plenty of midrange stuff like the Samsung Galaxy 5, LG Optimus One... older stuff like the Dell Streak, HTC Legend, etc.

As a customer I'd be happy with a basic set of options - say the U8150 at the low end, the U8800 and LG Optimus One in the midrange and then the Galaxy S at the top tier. A similar small range of Nokia Symbian-based devices (E7 or N8 top tier, E71 or C5 in the midtier, 2690 or similiar in the low tier) and maybe something Bada powered and that should be plenty of choice while still keeping stock easy to manage?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I'll get someone competent to follow up the hand set suggestions and post possible buy/subsidy prices.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon May 02, 2011 3:23 pm

As a previous post mentioned, the Huawei IDEOS (U8150), IDEOS X5 (U8800), IDEOS X6 (U9000).
It doesn't seem these can be supplied presently but we will ask Optus.

We should be able to supply most of the other handsets for reasonable prices. Probably less then RRP.
We will be putting handset images and pricing up on the website within the next 2 weeks.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm

I would consider the HTC Desire HD or Samsung Galaxy S II as either outright or plan.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 pm

dbr wrote:I would consider the HTC Desire HD or Samsung Galaxy S II as either outright or plan.
This could be a possibility .... but it will ultimately depend on what range Optus has available at what pricing.

trk

Post by trk » Mon May 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Has there been any advances on this at all?

shoner

Post by shoner » Tue May 10, 2011 12:23 am

trk wrote:Has there been any advances on this at all?
I have asked the appropriate person to post an update.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue May 10, 2011 9:09 am

These are the handsets that will be available, with approx pricing, inc GST.
(sorry about the formatting!)

Handset $Price
Bberry 9780 $550 (Blackberry service not available until approx July 1)
Bberry 9800 $830 (Blackberry service not available until approx July 1)
LG Optimus 7 $740
Moto Milestone $700
Nokia C5 03 $240
Nokia C6 01 $345
Nokia E7 00 $720
Nokia X3 02 $200
Samsg Galaxy S $600
Samsg Galaxy tab $760
Samsg Omnia7 $700
ZTE V9 Tablet $250

speedboatsteve

Post by speedboatsteve » Wed May 11, 2011 9:31 pm

I currently have two CAP19 Sim cards for myself and girlfriend as we aren't heavy mobile users and these plans suit us perfectly, due to the discount for having our ADSL with exetel as well.

I'm all for exetel selling phone handsets outright and on contracts, though these days contracts are starting to match outright handset prices + exetel's cheap plans.
If exetel does enter into this market, your prices are going to have to be competitive.

You mentioned Galaxy S for $600.
My girlfriend ordered that phone two weeks ago from Smoothmobiles (Hong Kong model with a 12 month AUS retailer warranty) for $450 inc shipping
Allphones are currently selling it outright for $519 + shipping.
Or Virgin on 24month contract for $840 (comparable plan to exetel's CAP19).
So outright on exetel for $600 + $216 (24 x $9 CAP19 (inc ADSL discount)) = $816, without discount = $1056.

I personally am also holding back as long as I can from purchasing the Galaxy S II from overseas online retailers as I can get it shipped to my door for under $700

Summing up... In my experiences with friends and work colleagues. If they want a phone contract, they go to Optus, Virgin, Telstra. If they want outright, they are looking for the cheapest available price and won't disregard purchasing from overseas. So good luck exetel, it's a tough market whichever move you play.

PS: depending how both of our usage patterns change now we will both have Smart android phones ;) we may have to upgrade to the CAP35 plans, 200MB ain't all that much.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu May 12, 2011 8:50 am

I'm all for exetel selling phone handsets outright and on contracts, though these days contracts are starting to match outright handset prices + exetel's cheap plans. If exetel does enter into this market, your prices are going to have to be competitive.....
We realise all that. Some of those cheap providers we are not going to be able to compete with as they source their handsets from Hong Kong, China direct. We are supplied by Optus who no doubt have their own markup and we're entering this area of the market cautiously. As time goes on and our shipping volume increases (if it does), our wholesale prices should come down and we would accordingly pass on discounts. At the moment we will be facilitating the outright purhase for those who want the convenience. Later on, the $0.00 upfront cost on possible contracted plans, may be able to be subsidised at a lower per month rate (for 24 months) comparative to the outright price. We will see.

Understand It's a highlighted 'possible' only at this stage for subsidised handsets on ocntracted plans.

trk

Post by trk » Fri May 13, 2011 10:03 am

Although I agree with the previous posters views on the phone prices not being very competitive (especially when the cost of a plan + outright purchase is compared to a plan including subsidised handset from another carrier), we are still keen to stick with Exetel as it has been nothing but a pleasure dealing with Exetel in terms of billing (its always right, first time! A mind blowing achievement compared to the frustrations we had with Telstra and Optus) and the extras like VOIP & FAX DID offer a convenience we really dont want to lose.

Has there been any thought into providing those handsets at a monthly rate? Either over 12 months or 24 months?

As it stands we'll probably shift to the V19 plans and just wait on a month-by-month contract until the SGSII is released and weigh up our options from there. It would be preferable to stick with Exetel but it just doesn't make sense to buy outright at those prices when a subsidised handset ends up so much cheaper over the life of the contract. Admittedly you are stuck on said contract, but that also gives a nice guarantee of prices and the carriers requirement to provide you a service over that time.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri May 13, 2011 10:20 am

Has there been any thought into providing those handsets at a monthly rate? Either over 12 months or 24 months?
Yes there has. Only thoughts at this stage.
We need to make sure the handset procurement process and everything asocisated (warranty, repair etc) is reliable.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri May 13, 2011 12:27 pm

trk wrote:Although I agree with the previous posters views on the phone prices not being very competitive (especially when the cost of a plan + outright purchase is compared to a plan including subsidised handset from another carrier), we are still keen to stick with Exetel as it has been nothing but a pleasure dealing with Exetel in terms of billing (its always right, first time! A mind blowing achievement compared to the frustrations we had with Telstra and Optus) and the extras like VOIP & FAX DID offer a convenience we really dont want to lose.

As it stands we'll probably shift to the V19 plans and just wait on a month-by-month contract until the SGSII is released and weigh up our options from there. It would be preferable to stick with Exetel but it just doesn't make sense to buy outright at those prices when a subsidised handset ends up so much cheaper over the life of the contract. Admittedly you are stuck on said contract, but that also gives a nice guarantee of prices and the carriers requirement to provide you a service over that time.
I have only bought hand sets myself - usually in Sydney's "China Town" where the discounts from 'retail' are very substantial.

Zhent

Post by Zhent » Mon May 16, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm a bit late to respond to this, but I am none-too-happy about the discontinuation of my mobile plan.

I am on an old $0 a month per-minute plan, and this suits me well as I barely make a handful of calls a month. Now apparently I will have to move to a $9 V9 with a whopping $165 of included value - nearly all of which is useless to me.

Perhaps I am an anomaly in the mobile market, but would it be possible to offer something like a V3, with say $30 of included value? That would be fair right?

At the moment an increase from ~$2 a month to $9 sounds very ugly indeed.

EDIT: I note on the change plan page there is a per-minute "Mobile A" for $5 a month. This is a bit better then $9 a month, but is this plan going to be discontinued as well? Or if I switched to that would I still have the $20 activation fee waived for May?