Off Peak Allowances

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Off Peak Allowances

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri May 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Current Exetel ADSL plans have no peak/off peak periods with very large allowances provided for any plan - typically 200 GB for around $50.00 per month.

Looking at the actual usage of Exetel customers over many years a tiny fraction of 1% ever used more than 200 GB in any month - though there have been some individual users who downloaded over 1 terabyte on occasions.

I have received almost 50 emails over the last month or so from Exetel ADSL customers telling me that they see it as a disadvantage not having an off peak period.

We could easily stop metering data downloads on the current plans.

Does anyone here think that would be a good idea?

gong_guy

Re: Off Peak Allowances

Post by gong_guy » Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm

The Optus based plans start at only 20gb downloads for $50 with no Off Peak allowances.

samarium

Post by samarium » Fri May 06, 2011 3:11 pm

I would prefer to keep the metering.

It can be useful to see how much data I'm downloading.

If it jumps markedly it may indicate an infection of some kind, which I might not otherwise notice.

If I need to compare Exetel ADSL plans with Exetel WBB or other vendor ADSL plans it provides a data baseline.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri May 06, 2011 6:00 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We could easily stop metering data downloads on the current plans.
Would that not then attract the demographic who I understand you went to some length to encourage to leave.

Then you have the question of having to apply a fair use policy or truly leave them uncounted and risk the 'unethical' few that have been complained about in the past.

Or did you mean that some hours of the night (Eg) - the true off peak) would be unmetered.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri May 06, 2011 6:42 pm

I think un-metered off-peak may be okay, but like others stated, it may attract those "undesirables" back again.

Col

Post by Col » Fri May 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Mixed feelings... I would like to see some off peak feature return, however I think unlimited/unmetered hasn't been done successfully in the past and shouldn't be attempted again. How about offering a 1:1 peak/off peak... make a 20GB plan 20GB/20GB? Or make say every 3GB downloaded during off peak only count as 1GB from a single allowance?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri May 06, 2011 10:05 pm

dbr wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We could easily stop metering data downloads on the current plans.
Would that not then attract the demographic who I understand you went to some length to encourage to leave.

Then you have the question of having to apply a fair use policy or truly leave them uncounted and risk the 'unethical' few that have been complained about in the past.

Or did you mean that some hours of the night (Eg) - the true off peak) would be unmetered.
It is only a concept - but the metering just wouldn't count the downloads towards the plan's accounting between 1 am to 9 am or some amount of hours.

To address the issue raised about seeing the traffic in those hours the actual meter would still display the actual usage.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat May 07, 2011 9:51 am

gong_guy wrote:The Optus based plans start at only 20gb downloads for $50 with no Off Peak allowances.
Those plans include telephone line rental - they aren't just ADSL plans.

Perhaps we should take a leaf out of Telstra's/TPG's book and show that price as $20.00 per month and then add a codicil that it requires the rental of a $30.00 per month telephone line from Exetel?

What sort of download allowance do you think is 'appealing'?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat May 07, 2011 9:54 am

thomashouseman wrote:I think un-metered off-peak may be okay, but like others stated, it may attract those "undesirables" back again.
You are probably right.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat May 07, 2011 9:59 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:I think un-metered off-peak may be okay, but like others stated, it may attract those "undesirables" back again.
You are probably right.
perhaps make it for existing customers only or make it available once any initial contract period is completed for new customers?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Sat May 07, 2011 10:19 am

jokiin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
You are probably right.
perhaps make it for existing customers only or make it available once any initial contract period is completed for new customers?
Oooh! That's a good idea, anyone that's been with Exetel over a year maybe?

Col

Post by Col » Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
gong_guy wrote:The Optus based plans start at only 20gb downloads for $50 with no Off Peak allowances.
Those plans include telephone line rental - they aren't just ADSL plans.

Perhaps we should take a leaf out of Telstra's/TPG's book and show that price as $20.00 per month and then add a codicil that it requires the rental of a $30.00 per month telephone line from Exetel??
I would. Not sure what that says about me, but I think making things easier to compare is a plus.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Sun May 08, 2011 11:44 am

make it available once any initial contract period is completed for new customers?
Now that sounds interesting, a way to reward loyal customers! (Maybe extend it to people who have been with Exetel for over 6 months too?)
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

melanieb
Exetel Staff

Post by melanieb » Mon May 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi All,

We are looking at implementing a "Build your own plan" ADSL structure.

This is how it would work...

STEP 1
Type in your phone number to perform a qualification check

STEP 2
Depending on the qualification check, select the speed you would like,

eg.
ADSL1, $30
ADSL2 with Phone line, $40

STEP 3
Select Your Usage/data block (this would last for one month, and can be changed from month to month)

eg.
5 GB = $3
10 GB = $60

You would then be able to change your usage block for the next month in your members facilities.

We welcome any feedback you may have on this.

Melanie
Last edited by melanieb on Mon May 09, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 pm

melanieb wrote:
We welcome any feedback you may have on this.

Melanie
How about:

Step 4

Choose optional off-peak data plan:

180GB Off peak Data for $15 (feel free to modify amounts to pay for itself) - yes/no