Off Peak Allowances

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Re: Off Peak Allowances

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 11, 2011 11:48 am

CoreyPlover wrote:In http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php is currently gives two premium (optus) plan tabs. The first says "excluding telephone line" but it actually necessitate a $30 line rental through Optus / Exetel, so perhaps the title should just be "ADSL2+" for the first tab, or "ADSL2+ (no call inclusions)"?

Also, one of the common bits of feedback from Exetel customers is the number of different plans names. Might you be able to amalgamate the OT and OF plans by having three base OT plans and a single "3,000 call minutes" add-on option for $10/month? Or can these free minutes only be offered via a 12 month contractual inclusion? Having said that, I reckon Exetel have done well in reducing the number of plans on offer; by my count there are currently 17 current plans: 9 Telstra ADSL1 options, 2 Telstra ADSL2+ options, and 2 sets of 3 Optus ADSL2+ options. I think having simple sets of 2 or 3 options, as is currently the case for ADSL2+ offerings, is the way to go.
Corey,

You are probably correct - though ACEMA are pedantic to an extraordinary degree on occasions in terms of what they deem 'misleading'. I will ask for the tab names to be reviewed.

The 3,000 minutes per month can only be offered on a new 12 month contract.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 11, 2011 12:09 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: The 3,000 minutes per month can only be offered on a new 12 month contract.
if a new signup were to chose the regular plan do they get offered to take a 12 month contract instead and get the 3000 minutes of included calls each month? (I haven't been through the process to know but it would seem logical to offer it in case they hadn't) on that note though and given that the plans with included calls would seem to be the stronger offer would it be better if that was the first tab, or at least the default tab that was shown when you go to that page?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 11, 2011 1:16 pm

jokiin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: The 3,000 minutes per month can only be offered on a new 12 month contract.
if a new signup were to chose the regular plan do they get offered to take a 12 month contract instead and get the 3000 minutes of included calls each month? (I haven't been through the process to know but it would seem logical to offer it in case they hadn't) on that note though and given that the plans with included calls would seem to be the stronger offer would it be better if that was the first tab, or at least the default tab that was shown when you go to that page?
I thought there were only two tabs offering with or without 3,000 minutes of included calls?

The order form has the 6 plans listed with the three with minute plans below the without plans.

Whether it should be the 'default' page is something that should be considered....current thinking is low price has more appeal than 3,000 minutes of calls.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 11, 2011 1:45 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:current thinking is low price has more appeal than 3,000 minutes of calls.
Completely understand that line of thinking

not sure if it is applicable to this situation but a previous business I was involved in had a situation where there were several options from which to choose listed from cheapest to dearest as was pretty much the norm, it was found that reversing the order in which they were offered increased the average sale as people tended to drill down to what they wanted/were willing to spend, if they started low they wouldn't come up, people that really knew what they wanted probably spent what they were going to spend anyway but it did seem to improve things from those that hadn't yet made their mind up, as I said it may not be applicable to this situation anyway, I think sometimes if you present something at a really cheap price and a customer thinks it will serve the purpose they may stop looking and may not even notice the better deal

Col

Post by Col » Wed May 11, 2011 1:54 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:In http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php is currently gives two premium (optus) plan tabs. The first says "excluding telephone line" but it actually necessitate a $30 line rental through Optus / Exetel, so perhaps the title should just be "ADSL2+" for the first tab, or "ADSL2+ (no call inclusions)"?
How about "Bundled ADSL2+" and "Bundled ADSL2+ (With 3,000 minutes of free calls)"?

And how about removing the "Premium Plans (Optus Network)" from above the tabs. Currently you have 3 lines saying that the service is provided via Optus which is a bit much isn't it?

And you might need to add "+ (Telephone Line Rental x 12 Months)" to the working out of the minimum cost at the bottom of the page now that it isn't included in the ADSL2+ monthly charge?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 11, 2011 2:02 pm

jokiin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:current thinking is low price has more appeal than 3,000 minutes of calls.
Completely understand that line of thinking

not sure if it is applicable to this situation but a previous business I was involved in had a situation where there were several options from which to choose listed from cheapest to dearest as was pretty much the norm, it was found that reversing the order in which they were offered increased the average sale as people tended to drill down to what they wanted/were willing to spend, if they started low they wouldn't come up, people that really knew what they wanted probably spent what they were going to spend anyway but it did seem to improve things from those that hadn't yet made their mind up, as I said it may not be applicable to this situation anyway, I think sometimes if you present something at a really cheap price and a customer thinks it will serve the purpose they may stop looking and may not even notice the better deal
Rick,

If your example was common - why do so many people choose TPG or Telstra?

I really don't now the answers to such questions but my current belief is that the majority of customers being approached by Telstra's marketing campaigns haven't got a clue about the real costs of what is being 'pushed on to them' but simply get told a price they think is better than what they already have and make a decision on that basis.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Col wrote:
How about "Bundled ADSL2+" and "Bundled ADSL2+ (With 3,000 minutes of free calls)"?

And how about removing the "Premium Plans (Optus Network)" from above the tabs. Currently you have 3 lines saying that the service is provided via Optus which is a bit much isn't it?

And you might need to add "+ (Telephone Line Rental x 12 Months)" to the working out of the minimum cost at the bottom of the page now that it isn't included in the ADSL2+ monthly charge?
I will pass your suggestion to the people making these decisions.

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

vbap wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have put three replacement Optus based plans on the web site that are 'couched' in the words/methods used by other ISP providers.

Any comments would be welcomed.
Well the OCV200 I'm on at the moment still compares favourably with those offers - but I am not your target audience for this 'campaign' :).

I hope your 'win back' options (once published) achieve your desired outcomes.

But did you have to copy the ".99" pricing fluff?? That tactic is only needed when tied to banal advertising campaigns that scream "ADSL for less than $30 a month!!!".
I am more than happy to pay the extra $0.01 to avoid the $x.99 crap.

I would point this out to potential customers as an example of "no bullshit".

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 12, 2011 11:48 am

samarium wrote:
vbap wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have put three replacement Optus based plans on the web site that are 'couched' in the words/methods used by other ISP providers.

Any comments would be welcomed.
Well the OCV200 I'm on at the moment still compares favourably with those offers - but I am not your target audience for this 'campaign' :).

I hope your 'win back' options (once published) achieve your desired outcomes.

But did you have to copy the ".99" pricing fluff?? That tactic is only needed when tied to banal advertising campaigns that scream "ADSL for less than $30 a month!!!".
I am more than happy to pay the extra $0.01 to avoid the $x.99 crap.

I would point this out to potential customers as an example of "no bullshit".
I agree - for over seven years Exetel has not resorted to this silliness.

However, other people in the company have to be allowed to have their say and they are convinced staying with my old fashioned and straightforward approaches are no longer valid.

We will see what happens.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Sat May 21, 2011 5:09 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
I agree - for over seven years Exetel has not resorted to this silliness.

However, other people in the company have to be allowed to have their say and they are convinced staying with my old fashioned and straightforward approaches are no longer valid.

We will see what happens.
They are idiots.

If thats the game to play, why not 0.98? Or offer us free belly button fluff and lint. 0.12c /yr????, now I can buy that Yacht.

supernicko

Post by supernicko » Sat May 28, 2011 3:05 am

It is a shame that due to a move in late July I'm going to miss out on these new Optus plans. We're off to a section of the Gold Coast where Optus haven't deemed it worthy to install DSLAMS yet it seems.

I suspect that it would be hard to see much better value made available on the Telstra network? As it is I'm going to have to pay line rental on top of my net charges, plus disconnection and new connection fees. (understandable but I'm still bitter)

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Sat May 28, 2011 2:19 pm

supernicko wrote:It is a shame that due to a move in late July I'm going to miss out on these new Optus plans. We're off to a section of the Gold Coast where Optus haven't deemed it worthy to install DSLAMS yet it seems.

I suspect that it would be hard to see much better value made available on the Telstra network? As it is I'm going to have to pay line rental on top of my net charges, plus disconnection and new connection fees. (understandable but I'm still bitter)

It's hard to say that there would be much better plans available on the Telstra network, at the time you intend to move. :wink: So it's better to contact our sales team before you move to discuss the available plans.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

MikeTurner

Post by MikeTurner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 pm

I'll be moving in about 5 weeks. and I have some questions.

I don't suppose I can order the service now for installation at a later date. and therefore get the first 3 months free. I guess I cant because I'll need a valid number.

I'm currently on naked optus provided ADSL2. I notice that you don't offer that any more? Yet, if I select transfer from within members facilities, I can??? (I'm not sure it's naked)

Is there any difference in the end of going with Exetel's Optus provided ADSL v.s Exetels's Telstra provided ADSL. Does it all come back to the same point anyway? Is there more back haul with Optus or Telstra???

I'll be living in Corrimal Wollongong, if that helps determine the answer.

Is the term "premium" a marketing term, or is it really "premium"? Feel free to whim me this answer.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am

MikeTurner wrote:I'll be moving in about 5 weeks. and I have some questions.

1) I don't suppose I can order the service now for installation at a later date. and therefore get the first 3 months free. I guess I cant because I'll need a valid number.

2) I'm currently on naked optus provided ADSL2. I notice that you don't offer that any more? Yet, if I select transfer from within members facilities, I can??? (I'm not sure it's naked)

3) Is there any difference in the end of going with Exetel's Optus provided ADSL v.s Exetels's Telstra provided ADSL. Does it all come back to the same point anyway? Is there more back haul with Optus or Telstra???

4) Is the term "premium" a marketing term, or is it really "premium"? Feel free to whim me this answer.
1) If you don't have an active number and/or are not requesting Exetel to activate a new number for you then you can't order any ADSL service. If you 'possess' the premises you are moving to you can now request Exetel to either reactivate established copper lines or install new lines on the order form.

2) "Naked" plans were discontinued when they became more expensive that standard telephone line plans. Naked services have absolutely no advantage now and they have a significant disadvantage.

3) Telstra would assert that their back hauls are always provisioned fully. Telstra also publish a list of exchanges that are under provisioned. Generally speaking an end user will experience no difference - except when/if a back haul becomes under provisioned by either carrier.

4) Unlike several ISPs, Exetel properly provisions every part of the network under its control to provide zero contention at all times. Exetel provides high quality add ons within the monthly service charge. Exetel properly staffs its help desk to ensure less than 2 minute average wait times and high quality assistance. Exetel responds to emails within a maximum of three hours 99.99% of the time. Exetel has less TIO Level2 complaints than any other ISP of any size and also a lower level of TIO Level 2 complaints than any other ISP per customer. All statistics 'proving' these assertions are publicly available....they aren't "marketing spin".

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:05 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 3) Telstra would assert that their back hauls are always provisioned fully. Telstra also publish a list of exchanges that are under provisioned. Generally speaking an end user will experience no difference - except when/if a back haul becomes under provisioned by either carrier.
If Exetel's provisioning assertion is true, then Telstra's provisioning assertion is false.

I have a Telstra ADSL2 connection, and hourly automated download of the exetel speed test page and see a very marked temporal speed distribution. Ie download speed goes from 10-16 Mb/s to 2-8 MB/s during the evening. I have over 2 months of hourly data at this point in time. I'm more than willing to give this data to Exetel, and get them to get Telstra to "please explain".

data snippet:

Code: Select all

2011-06-19 00:30:03 13.21 Mb/s
2011-06-19 01:30:03 13.32 Mb/s
2011-06-19 02:30:02 14.26 Mb/s
2011-06-19 03:30:03 13.84 Mb/s
2011-06-19 04:30:02 14.05 Mb/s
2011-06-19 05:30:03 14.05 Mb/s
2011-06-19 06:30:03 12.79 Mb/s
2011-06-19 07:30:02 13.74 Mb/s
2011-06-19 08:30:03 13.53 Mb/s
2011-06-19 09:30:03 10.70 Mb/s