Off Peak Allowances

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
thomashouseman

Re: Off Peak Allowances

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:33 pm

samarium wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: 3) Telstra would assert that their back hauls are always provisioned fully. Telstra also publish a list of exchanges that are under provisioned. Generally speaking an end user will experience no difference - except when/if a back haul becomes under provisioned by either carrier.
If Exetel's provisioning assertion is true, then Telstra's provisioning assertion is false.

I have a Telstra ADSL2 connection, and hourly automated download of the exetel speed test page and see a very marked temporal speed distribution. Ie download speed goes from 10-16 Mb/s to 2-8 MB/s during the evening. I have over 2 months of hourly data at this point in time. I'm more than willing to give this data to Exetel, and get them to get Telstra to "please explain".
How did you set that up? I'm interested in doing similar.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 am

"Presenting any data to Telstra" will not accomplish anything.

You can see for yourself whether there is any contention on any Exetel link from the user facilities.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:27 pm

thomashouseman wrote:How did you set that up? I'm interested in doing similar.
If you have a unix/linux box, hack the below to taste:

Code: Select all

$ crontab -l
30 * * * * cd /srv/tmp && { rm -f index.html; wget -nd  http://www.exetel.com.au/speed -o /dev/stdout | sed '/^2011/!d;s/[()]//g;s/KB/1024 /;s/MB/1048576 /' | awk '{$3 = $3 * $4 / 1000000 * 10; printf "\%s \%s \%5.2f Mb/s\n", $1, $2, $3}' | sed 's/\\//g' >> exetel.speed.txt; }
$
Note: IIRC this will use about 2GB/month.
Last edited by samarium on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:36 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:"Presenting any data to Telstra" will not accomplish anything.

You can see for yourself whether there is any contention on any Exetel link from the user facilities.
I'm well aware of the Exetel graphs, I look at them as required. I am much interested in real data on the Telstra links, however don't expect I have access to that data, as much as I would like to see it. I'm happy to follow some pointers if you have them.

As a customer, I don't really care who is telling the truth and who isn't, even though I have my opinions, I just want a non-congested connection.

Given the obvious discrepancy between reality and rhetoric, what can I, as a customer, expect Exetel to do about the state of my internet connection?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:00 pm

samarium wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:"Presenting any data to Telstra" will not accomplish anything.

I'm well aware of the Exetel graphs, I look at them as required. I am much interested in real data on the Telstra links, however don't expect I have access to that data, as much as I would like to see it. I'm happy to follow some pointers if you have them.

As a customer, I don't really care who is telling the truth and who isn't, even though I have my opinions, I just want a non-congested connection.

Given the obvious discrepancy between reality and rhetoric, what can I, as a customer, expect Exetel to do about the state of my internet connection?
The real world situation is that Exetel has no control over the provisioning actualities of the paths between you and our POI with Telstra, or any other carrier.

Telstra do publish a list of exchanges that are under provisioned in terms of back hauls (or whatever words they use) but we are not allowed to disclose that list nor confirm whether or not your exchange is on that list.

Exetel has zero ability to affect Telstra's provisioning policies.

Over the years all carriers have had these issues from time to time and it would be fair to say that all carriers get around to fixing them within relatively short time frames.

samarium

Post by samarium » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Pretty much what I expected.

I don't expect links to be fully provisioned all the time, however I don't like it when a company says there that a link is fully provisioned when it is demonstratively false.