Unlimited ADSL2 Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Unlimited ADSL2 Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 pm

As some you may remember, Exetel introduced unlimited download plans on various infrastructures starting over two years ago before ceasing to offer them.

Over that two year period we have kept track of various aspects of how those 1,000+ users 'behaved' in terms of:

1) were they new users or already Exetel customers when they signed up for the unlimited plan.
2) what length of time did they stay with Exetel after signing up for the unlimited plan.
3) how much did they download on average per month over two years
4) what was the maximum they downloaded per month
5) how much did they upload per month
6) did their monthly downloads decline over time and at what rate

and a few other things.

The answers to these questions were not really surprising in most ways but all were different to what we predicted and in one case, average download per month, quite different. The other surprising difference was 'longevity' with almost no customer moving to another supplier over the two year period.

So, now we have some relatively solid facts, we are considering offering an unlimited download AAPT and perhaps Optus ADSL2 plan in the not too distant future which, because of the ongoing drop in IP costs, the increasing 'hits' on our Gogle and Akamai caches and the progressive fall in back haul costs, from AAPT at least, we should be able to offer at $54.95 using Optus and $59.95 using AAPT (both prices including PSTN telephone line).

We are interested in any thoughts anyone might have.

Old Flame

Re: Unlimited ADSL2 Plans

Post by Old Flame » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't think I will go down that path again, unless it's an Increased Quota with clearly defined limits that are acceptable to Exetel and the user base's performance up front (not unlimited). To each their own. In fact I don't think I will go down that path again full stop. To me, (because of your in-depth risk analysis) that if things go pear shaped again, it will just be another lost cause. I honestly find it strange that you would go down this path again. Your risk analysis will skew for sure once you open the floodgates and people change their habits accordingly.

I see people on TPG bragging about how much they download each month and try and get 4TB a month. Surely that's not sustainable. I honestly think a reasonable limit of 500GB (or whatever is reasonable for the plan and network stability) should be defined up front so everyone knows where they stand. When I was with MNF 1TB a month, I considered that to be unlimited to myself, without it being unlimited.

The only reason I came back to Exetel recently was because the plans seem to be standard and reasonable instead of changing every 2 weeks. Again, are you sure you want to go down that path? Hopefully you perceive this as constructive feedback, for example when I was with Exetel last I was checking forums daily for changes to my service. When I was with MNF I went to forums seeking info about once every 3 months. People (in general) don't want to have to keep up to date about changes and want a service they know is not going to change (they want stability) and I think your current arrangement suits that need.

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:01 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: We are interested in any thoughts anyone might have.
I think the world has moved on from two years ago as unlimited or large quota plans are quite common and not a dramatic selling point any more.

The price you are proposing seems to be between the OT-100 and OT-200 which would certainly simplify your plan offerings. I am on OT-100 and have never gone over the limit but would be tempted to go Unlimited so I could just leave my streaming TV channels running without feeling I may run out of quota. I might even get Netflix via VPN and get some value for money.

If you do offer this plan you really should do it from an average download perspective and not target users who will almost certainly rack up HUGE downloads per month. You seem to be comfortable with this after your two year study.

Streaming TV and video is taking off and already most of my "TV" watching is IP based video and, believe it or not, from legal sources.
I welcome the plans at that price point.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 am

Old Flame wrote: when I was with Exetel last I was checking forums daily for changes to my service. When I was with MNF I went to forums seeking info about once every 3 months. People (in general) don't want to have to keep up to date about changes and want a service they know is not going to change (they want stability) and I think your current arrangement suits that need.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

If Exetel changes plan offerings, which it has done many times over the past almost 8 years, those changes don't affect any user of a current plan - so why do you "have to check " other than when you are contemplating moving or looking for a different plan?

Col

Post by Col » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:57 am

To be sustainable you would have to have some form of acceptable usage policy outlining that customers shouldn't download over xGB/TB or whatever limit wouldn't you? Otherwise telling them that they need to move from an unlimited plan because they are no longer profitable, like you did at one stage, would bring back the mess that was created last time you had unlimited plans. If you are going to set some limit I would prefer you make the plan that limit instead of unlimited so people actually know what they are getting.

Or are you saying you wont be telling anyone who downloads 'too much' to leave as you feel confident that it will remain sustainable due to the study you have carried out?

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:28 pm

I would certainly pick up an unlimited plan (from OT-100) for another $5 or perhaps $10. I would increase my d/l to perhaps double the current - but at rather marginal increased benefit. This would mainly be higher resolution content and running something like ABC24hours in a window.

I would however like some indication of what constitutes acceptable use. This could even be a variable amount - depending perhaps on the potential for congestion or excessive back haul costs. Thus each month an acceptable use total could be announced with an expectation that a user would not exceed the acceptable monthly use more than twice a year.

Reasonable users like rules and like to see that those who take pride in being excessive in their behaviour are not permitted to reduce the experience of others.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Col wrote:
Or are you saying you wont be telling anyone who downloads 'too much' to leave as you feel confident that it will remain sustainable due to the study you have carried out?
That's the rationale.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 pm

jaybee wrote:I would certainly pick up an unlimited plan (from OT-100) for another $5 or perhaps $10. I would increase my d/l to perhaps double the current - but at rather marginal increased benefit. This would mainly be higher resolution content and running something like ABC24hours in a window..
Why not go to the OT-200?

samarium

Post by samarium » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:51 pm

While Exetel may have the numbers to support unlimited that doesn't fix the current ongoing problem with backhaul under provisioned by Telstra/Optus/AAPT/etc, and unlimited will only make this worse.

Maybe the transition to NBN will make this better, but that is not a short term fix, and NBN is probably making backhaul providers even less interested in increasing provisioning.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:18 pm

samarium wrote:While Exetel may have the numbers to support unlimited that doesn't fix the current ongoing problem with back haul under provisioned by Telstra/Optus/AAPT/etc, and unlimited will only make this worse.

Maybe the transition to NBN will make this better, but that is not a short term fix, and NBN is probably making back haul providers even less interested in increasing provisioning.
I really don't think there are any AAPT back haul congestion at all but if you believe there is please let us know the exchange names.

There are continual instances of congestion on Telstra exchanges but they are of, relatively, short duration - usually.

Similarly Optus has been pretty prompt in resolving any back haul provisioning issues that occur.

In any event, I wouldn't think that Exetel's tiny percentage of over all users on any exchange would have any sort of impact....and as I noted in my opening post - our two year experience is that unlimited users actually don't download much more, if at all, than our highest end plan users

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm

I personally think the current download limits are very generous and dont know anyone who needs more downloads then what you already offer. I guess though it sounds better when its called unlimited but in reality it could be 400G, 800G or 2T download or even unlimited most people will not need more then what is on offer already.

So unless you are trying to attract the type of customer that thinks they need unlimited so they can download 24x7 i dont think its necessary. I do like however how exetel is always trying to reinvent itself and come up with new ways to keep customers happy. thanks for continually trying to think outside the box.

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:10 am

ForumAdmin wrote: There are continual instances of congestion on Telstra exchanges but they are of, relatively, short duration - usually.

Similarly Optus has been pretty prompt in resolving any back haul provisioning issues that occur.
Im thinking of two newcastle area exchanges, telstra and optus. One, mine, of which I have months of hourly exetel speed test data. I'll double check it and if still an issue, I'll log a ticket on it, rather than to continue to trend off-topic.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:25 am

samarium wrote:
Im thinking of two newcastle area exchanges, telstra and optus. One, mine, of which I have months of hourly exetel speed test data. I'll double check it and if still an issue, I'll log a ticket on it, rather than to continue to trend off-topic.
All feed back is always useful.

If you post the exchanges here I will ensure the issues are followed up.

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:15 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Why not go to the OT-200?
The current OT-200 plan costs more than the proposed cost of the Unlimited plan.

For $5 more than OT-100 I would change to Unlimited

BW~Merlin

Post by BW~Merlin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:02 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:we should be able to offer at $54.95 using Optus
I am currently on OT-200 for $59.50 a month and this plan is $4.55 cheaper so that would entice me to move but I don't think I have ever come close to using 200GB let alone both my 200GB peak and off-peak so for me I would be looking to save money. What I would really like to see is speed increase, for weeks I was sitting on 7-9mbs via speedtest and now I have dropped down to 4.5-5mbs so an increase in quote is no good if you can not use it all/most of it then what's the point (it is a bit like high powered street cars that you can not drive faster than the speed limit [except for some places in the NT where there are no speed limits]).

So while I support the idea of more for less I personally would like to see a speed increase (I don't know if exetel can do anything about that) and price drop rather than more quote that I don't think I could ever use.