Bridging a ZTE H268A to another ZTE H268a

Wired and wireless home networking
Fletch80

Bridging a ZTE H268A to another ZTE H268a

Post by Fletch80 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 am

Hi all

I have recently moved house and the study where my HFC NBN connection enters my house seems not to be a good place for the wifi in terms of coverage for the rest of the property. Fortunately, some practical person installed an ethernet cable from the study to a room at the opposite end of the house. Since I have two ZTE H268a routers, I decided to hook them up over the ethernet so I could use my old ZTE router as an access point.

So I connected the two routers between their LAN ports (not the WAN port) and turned DHCP off on the old router. I also gave the old router a static IP address on the same subnet (192.168.20.2). The old router is using a different SSID from the new one.

If I plug my laptop into another lan port on the old router (the one I'm just using as an AP) then it works fine, picks up an IP address in the right range and off I go. If I connect via wifi using the old routers SSID, it connects, but shows as having no internet connection. When I look up the IP address, it looks like it has tried to get one from the DHCP server, failed and then self assigned an IP address (in the range 169.x.x.x). Interestingly, if I leave the device connected to that wifi, it will sometimes eventually pick up a proper IP address and then work fine. But not always. And it appears to depend somewhat on the device (Windows 10 laptop vs Macbook vs iPad vs Android phone or tablet) whether it eventually picks up an IP address. It is very frustrating and I am finding it very hard to troubleshoot. If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. I am open to the idea of replacing hardware, but I don't know at this point which device is causing the problem.

Regards, Fletch

nilushid
Admin

Re: Bridging a ZTE H268A to another ZTE H268a

Post by nilushid » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Fletch80 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 am
Hi all

I have recently moved house and the study where my HFC NBN connection enters my house seems not to be a good place for the wifi in terms of coverage for the rest of the property. Fortunately, some practical person installed an ethernet cable from the study to a room at the opposite end of the house. Since I have two ZTE H268a routers, I decided to hook them up over the ethernet so I could use my old ZTE router as an access point.

So I connected the two routers between their LAN ports (not the WAN port) and turned DHCP off on the old router. I also gave the old router a static IP address on the same subnet (192.168.20.2). The old router is using a different SSID from the new one.

If I plug my laptop into another lan port on the old router (the one I'm just using as an AP) then it works fine, picks up an IP address in the right range and off I go. If I connect via wifi using the old routers SSID, it connects, but shows as having no internet connection. When I look up the IP address, it looks like it has tried to get one from the DHCP server, failed and then self assigned an IP address (in the range 169.x.x.x). Interestingly, if I leave the device connected to that wifi, it will sometimes eventually pick up a proper IP address and then work fine. But not always. And it appears to depend somewhat on the device (Windows 10 laptop vs Macbook vs iPad vs Android phone or tablet) whether it eventually picks up an IP address. It is very frustrating and I am finding it very hard to troubleshoot. If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. I am open to the idea of replacing hardware, but I don't know at this point which device is causing the problem.

Regards, Fletch
Hi Fletch

If you need to make sure the modems are correctly connected and configured before using them on Bridging mode. Therefore, please refer to the following link and make sure you have the exact settings on your routers. Please also make sure the router which is on Bridge mode should be connected to the HFC NBN unit via the WAN (Red) port and the other ZTE router (which is configured with PPPoE username and password for your new service) should be connected to the Brigemode ZTE modem using an Ethernet cable from WAN (Red) port to Bridge mode modem LAN (Yellow) port. Use the following link to make sure the setting on the modems is correct.

If the issue persist, please PM us your customer ID or the service number, or reply back with ta reference number given by Exetel.

https://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php ... ridge_Mode

Fletch80

Post by Fletch80 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi nilushid

Thanks for your reply, but I have clearly led you up the garden path by referring to Bridging in my subject line. I guess I am not actually bridging the connection. My setup is this: I have an NBN box connected to HFC, this plugs into the WAN port on my ZTE router. This router is providing WIFI using one SSID and is also connected to a couple of devices in my study on ethernet. Things connect to it fine. At the other end of my house I have another ZTE router connected to the first one using an ethernet cable. I want this second router to provide WIFI as the signal from the first one is not good enough at that end of the house. But devices connecting on WIFI to this second router are not (reliably) picking up a valid IP address from the DHCP server on the first router even though I have turned off DHCP on the second router.

Appreciate any further help you can provide, and sorry for confusing matters by referring to bridging.

Cheers

Fletch

kavindip
Exetel Staff

Post by kavindip » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:09 pm

Fletch80 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks for your reply, but I have clearly led you up the garden path by referring to Bridging in my subject line. I guess I am not actually bridging the connection. My setup is this: I have an NBN box connected to HFC, this plugs into the WAN port on my ZTE router. This router is providing WIFI using one SSID and is also connected to a couple of devices in my study on ethernet. Things connect to it fine. At the other end of my house I have another ZTE router connected to the first one using an ethernet cable. I want this second router to provide WIFI as the signal from the first one is not good enough at that end of the house. But devices connecting on WIFI to this second router are not (reliably) picking up a valid IP address from the DHCP server on the first router even though I have turned off DHCP on the second router.

Appreciate any further help you can provide, and sorry for confusing matters by referring to bridging.
Hi Fletch,

If you are to use the 2 ZTE modems according to the setup you have mentioned, please ensure that the first ZTE modem is configured in bridge mode and connected using an ethernet cable from the HFC NBN Box to the WAN port on the ZTE modem. Then configure the second ZTE modem with the PPPoE username and password for your service and connect an ethernet cable from the WAN port of the second ZTE modem to a LAN port of the first ZTE modem (which is connected in bridge mode).

However, if you happen to have any further concerns with regard to this matter, please PM us your customer ID or the service number, or reply back with the reference number given by Exetel.

kavindip
Exetel Staff

Post by kavindip » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:19 pm

Thank you for providing the requested information via PM.

Please be informed that further information in relation to your query will be provided to you via the email, to the nominated email address on the account, under the reference #16760617.