Sky high ping

Wired and wireless home networking
UberSchnell

Sky high ping

Post by UberSchnell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:30 pm

Howdy,

I have a windows configuration problem whereby the ping times to 220.233.0.50 (and other WAN destinations) are in excess of 2 seconds and often time out. This is only an issue on one PC and others are fine - LAN hosts are also fine <1ms.

I'm fairly confident that there is no rogue software chewing bandwidth - i've trimmed down all startup items, and active processes are recognisable.

My troubleshooting so far is suggesting a Windows config issue (XP SP2) - but where to start. TCP/IP settings are fine, DNS resolution is OK too.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:56 pm

As this is a PC / network specific problem, I've moved the thread from the ADSL1 Connection Issues sub-forum.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Hmmm. Maybe a faulty router port or cable?

Could you post a view tracert tests (to 220.233.0.50 as well as an external WAN address)?

UberSchnell

Post by UberSchnell » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:25 pm

Trace to 220.233.0.50 is 3 hops - first 2 time out.
Tracert from a working system is identical to the above

Modem only has 1 LAN port (to which this PC is connected). The same port when connected to another system performs at 50ms ping to the same address.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:31 pm

Can you post these tracert outputs for us to see. Also do another one to www.google.com.au for comparison

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:53 pm

UberSchnell wrote:Modem only has 1 LAN port (to which this PC is connected). The same port when connected to another system performs at 50ms ping to the same address.
So one PC works fine connected to the modem, but the other doesn't work?

Sounds very much like a PC configuration problem.

Can you confirm that the network setup is the same between each PC (ipconfig/all will give us a starting point).

UberSchnell

Post by UberSchnell » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Windows IP Configuration WORKING

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ministry
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-61-03-C1-82
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 220.233.0.3

UberSchnell

Post by UberSchnell » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Windows IP Configuration BAD

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ministry
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-61-03-C1-82
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 220.233.0.4

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:11 pm

UberSchnell wrote:Windows IP Configuration BAD
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 <-- wrong subnet mask
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 220.233.0.4
UberSchnell wrote: Windows IP Configuration WORKING
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 220.233.0.3
61.88.88.88 <-- Optus DNS Server
The subnet on the "BAD" config is wrong. This could be the issue. The other issue that stands out - you've got an "alien" DNS server on the good computer. You've moved from Optus - as this looks like their DNS server.

Anthony.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:21 pm

Anthony Michaud wrote:The subnet on the "BAD" config is wrong. This could be the issue.
Anthony, can you advise why using 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask is wrong?

I've used it on all the systems on my home network, including the web and email server, and have never had any issues.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:25 pm

Klaas wrote:
Anthony Michaud wrote:The subnet on the "BAD" config is wrong. This could be the issue.

I've used it on all the systems on my home network, including the web and email server, and have never had any issues.
I'm guessing that the modem has a loose mask of 255.0.0.0, and it is changing the broadcast address from 10.0.0.255 (subnet 255.255.255.0) to 10.255.255.255 (subnet 255.0.0.0). A DNS server issue doesnt sound like its the problem for this issue.

Anthony.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Klaas wrote:

Further to this - the subnet itself isn't bad - its just that they all have to match :)

UberSchnell

Post by UberSchnell » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:09 am

The latest...

OK... so some more testing and it appears that the problem is at the hardware/driver level. The network activity light is blinking like crazy as soon as Windows loads, before you log in. A quick look at 'netstat' showed no connections that would account for this. I installed a firewall to see if it was able to detect the connection, but to no avail - blocking all traffic did nothing to reduce the activity. I then started suspecting the device driver and played with the connection speed settings - forced a speed of 100/half - this blue screened the system with a stop error of "BAD_POOL_CALLER".

I then attempted to update device drivers and completely fuxed the system. It now won't boot. Safemode boots but has no functioning keyboard and mouse.

It was 10pm on Friday night when this all happened, and I had to leave at 4am on Saturday, so I gave up.

The system will be coming down to visit me in the next few weeks, at which point I'm likely to start with a fresh install of Windows (or even a whole new system).

Many thanks for your assistance, and if I do end up fixing it rather than reinstalling, I'll post an update.

Cheers, Timshel

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:45 am

UberSchnell wrote:The latest...

OK... so some more testing and it appears that the problem is at the hardware/driver level. The network activity light is blinking like crazy as soon as Windows loads, before you log in. A quick look at 'netstat' showed no connections that would account for this. I installed a firewall to see if it was able to detect the connection, but to no avail - blocking all traffic did nothing to reduce the activity. I then started suspecting the device driver and played with the connection speed settings - forced a speed of 100/half - this blue screened the system with a stop error of "BAD_POOL_CALLER".

I then attempted to update device drivers and completely fuxed the system. It now won't boot. Safemode boots but has no functioning keyboard and mouse.

It was 10pm on Friday night when this all happened, and I had to leave at 4am on Saturday, so I gave up.

The system will be coming down to visit me in the next few weeks, at which point I'm likely to start with a fresh install of Windows (or even a whole new system).

Many thanks for your assistance, and if I do end up fixing it rather than reinstalling, I'll post an update.

Cheers, Timshel
Ouch! Re: safemode - is the keyboard/mouse PS/2 or USB?

If the system was root-kitted, then the netstat.exe would have probably been overwritten, so that any rootkit process were hidden.

Unless you want to get geeky and find the cause of the problem, I'd be more inclined to nuke & pave at this point - you will probably end up spending loads more time looking for the cause of the problem.

You may also just have a very badly behaving NIC - I'd be ensuring I had a spare for Justin. (Justin Case).

Anthony.

UberSchnell

Post by UberSchnell » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:53 am

KB+M are PS2 from memory... though I won't know for sure until the box comes to me.

I'll let you know how I go getting the beastly thing back up and running, when I next see it.

Cheers, Tim