Transfer Files From PC to Laptop

Wired and wireless home networking
Lionheart25

Transfer Files From PC to Laptop

Post by Lionheart25 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi

I just brought a new laptop (Vista)

I want to transfer files from my PC (XP) to the Laptop. I have CAT5 cables ready, now i want to know is it better doing it via a straight connection or through a router?

Can someone shed some light on either as i am a bit confused and this is the first time i done it.

Also give me a brief guide on how to do it.

Thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 pm

The standard way to do it would be through a router. If you try to do a straight connection, you will need a crossover network cable.

A few steps for you after you have connected each of your computers to a router:
  • Ensure each machine is on the same Workgroup - Right-click the My Computer desktop icon, Properties, Computer Name, Change, then supply a WorkGroup name such as "WORKGROUP" for each computer. Note the Computer Name of the laptop
  • Enable file sharing on the laptop - Right-click My Network Places, properties, right-click the Local Area Connection, Properties. Make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks appears in the items. If it doesn't, click Install, Service, and Add to add it.
  • Share the directory on the laptop that you wish to copy across - Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired directory (this could even be the root directory if you wish), Sharing and Security, Share this folder.
  • Connect to the laptop - On the PC, right-click My Network Places, Search for Computer, type the computer name of the laptop (Alternatively, you can go My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, WORKGROUP, and find the laptop by name, but I find that explicitly searching for the Computer by name works better)
  • Copy the files - You can now navigate the laptop's shared directory and copy files to your PC like you ordinary would from a CD

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Or you could just follow this

Lionheart25

Post by Lionheart25 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for the tip guys.

I think i prefer the windows easy transfer method sounds simple.

So basically if i go that way, just use a CAT5 cable, connect laptop > PC.

Follow the steps shown in the guide and thats it?

No need to setup workgroup, ip, same computer name etc?

Sorry for being such a noob on this topic :)

Cheers fellas.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:50 pm

The simplest way to to make sure you do it via a router and not a single direct cat5 cable between the machine with xp on it to the vista machine.
Both machines can be connected via cable or wifi via the router, windows doesn't see a difference really when it comes to a network transfer.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:55 pm

Lionheart25 wrote:No need to setup workgroup, ip, same computer name etc?
There is no need to setup the same Workgroup name in either method, but I have found that doing so gives a greater chance of things proceeding smoothly.

If using a router that supports DHCP, IP address can be set to "Auto assigned". Otherwise, you should ensure that each computer has IP addresses that are the same in all first 3 numbers and a different last number (i.e. 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3).

Make sure they have different computer names too, otherwise they will clash with each other.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:29 am

Lionheart25 wrote:Thanks for the tip guys.

I think i prefer the windows easy transfer method sounds simple.

So basically if i go that way, just use a CAT5 cable, connect laptop > PC.
Make sure the cable is a cross-over cable, otherwise you will require a switch/router device, to let the two computers 'talk' to each other. If you're using a cross-overcable, you'll need to manually configure each computers IP address so that they can talk to each other. If you use a device like a router, you should be able to leave the two computers configured for automatic IP addressing, and they should find each other.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...