Help with LAN

Wired and wireless home networking
renwick

Help with LAN

Post by renwick » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:34 pm

Hey all,

Atm in my home network, there are 2 computers and a router. Each computer is connected to the router with a cable. The internet connection for each computer is fine. I however, have not been able to share files and a printer which is only connected to one of the 2 computers. As far as I know, I dont need any extra equipment/cables? Both computers are running WinXP. Both computers have 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' enabled. Both computers are in the same network name, yet neither of them can see the other. what's wrong?

mattski

Re: Help with LAN

Post by mattski » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Do you have a software firewall running on either or both of the PCs?
For instance Zone Alarm needs to be configured - adding a trusted IP address or range of IP addresses to allow print/file sharing to work.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Other things you can check:

Both computers have been set to the same workgroup
Try to ping the IP address of one from the other
See if you can go through My Network places and find the windows network you have created, it should list at least the PC you are on, and hopefully the other PC in the workgroup.

My bet though is firewall. Turn that off and see how it goes. If you can find everything, then try to set the range through the firewall.

Have you actually shared a folder on either / both PC's (Yes I know you said you allowed sharing, but you also need to share at least one folder)
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

renwick

Post by renwick » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:28 pm

Both computers have windows firewall turned off.
One computer has Nod32, the other Avira. Turned both of them off.
Both computers do have a shared folder, at least.
Both computers can ping the other IP and get replies, but not the other host name.
Both computers have the same workgroup name, but doesnt see the other computer

EDIT: Does IP routing have to be enables. As in cmd, ipconfig /all tells me that IP routing is disabled.

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:33 pm

1) Be sure all cables are connected correctly.
2) Run 'Network Setup Wizard' in Control Panel on both PCs, making the WORKGROUP name the same, but the computer name and descriptions different.
3) Be sure to select 'Setup network for File/Printer sharing' in the radio boxes.
4) Be sure there is a shared folder on one of the computers.
5) Access the shared folder by opening "My Network Places -> View workgroup computers".
6) There is no need to turn off Windows Firewall if the Network Setup Wizard has been run, as this creates an exception.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

renwick

Post by renwick » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:53 am

I did all that, still with no success. I have noticed something though. On one of the computers, it can see itself in the workgroup. But on the other computer, it cant see anything, not even itself.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:28 am

Sorry renwick. I can't offer anything else, just some straw grasping. It is very frustrating when you've done everything seemingly correctly and it still doesn't work.

I was going to suggest to change cables and ports on the computers and router, but you can ping each other so there is connection. They can both see the Internet so that also should rule out physical.

Double check that the workgroup name is spelled exactly the same, no whitespace at all.

You've rebooted both PC's and the router??

Browse to the router GUI and see if it can see the LAN clients. Maybe add the MAC addresses and IP's of the PC's to the Router LAN table.

I had a similar problem (not the same, though) some time ago. The thing that got things working in the end was a reinstall of Windows on one of the PC's.

Let us know how you go.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:34 pm

I've sometimes seen computers that don't appear in each other's Network Places, but if you right-click My Network Places you can choose Search for Computers, then type the name of the other and it may come up and be accessible.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:41 am

Another one to try is map a network drive...

renwick

Post by renwick » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Ok then I think its got to do with the security. So went to \\Renwick on my own computer. Works fine. When I double click one of the folders I get this:

So the issue should be the security. I am 100% sure the folder exists, and simple file sharing is turned on. How to fix?