RTA1046VW, ethernet and airport connections

Wired and wireless home networking
Glowy74

RTA1046VW, ethernet and airport connections

Post by Glowy74 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi

I am having trouble connecting to the Internet when using RTA1046VW router for both ethernet and airport connection to the net. Ethernet works fine with WIndows Laptop and airport connects to Mac laptop but the connection only works for a short time before dropping out on airport and Mac laptop

Does anyone knows anyway around this?

thank you

Glowy

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: RTA1046VW, ethernet and airport connections

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Could you help with a bit more information? By Airport do you mean a wireless NAT router (such as an Airport Extreme box rather than a computer card), and is it connected directly behind the Dynalink, used as a modem? In other words, do you have two NAT routers in series? If so, the firewall in one of them will need to be relaxed. Also, are you using the Dynalink just as a modem, or do you need its VoIP function? Which device is handling PPPoE?

Edit: Depending on your reply, the simple solution would be to ethernet/wireless bridge the Airport box, ie turn off NAT.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: RTA1046VW, ethernet and airport connections

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:38 pm

I think an "Airport connection" on a MAc is just a regular wireless network connection.

So my understanding is that the Dynalink is acting as the modem and wireless router, a Windows laptop is connected via ethernet and a Mac laptop is connected via wireless. The Windows laptop connection is stable but the Mac drops out after a short time.

I think this is more so an issue with the Mac settings than the Dynalink. FRom a little Google trawling, you might want to try and disable IPv6 on the Mac Airport Preferences, or maybe follow this article (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1672), or maybe check for cordless phones interfering, or just change the channel on the Mac.

There might also be a firmware update for the Dynalink, but it sound more like a regular Airport dropout
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au