Dlink DIR-412 Exetel HSPA

Wired and wireless home networking
mranderson808

Dlink DIR-412 Exetel HSPA

Post by mranderson808 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Hello,

I am attempting to set-up a Dlink DIR-412 wireless router with an Exetel wireless broadband service (Huawei E160 modem).

I have used my MacBook to configure the wireless network on the router (using the Dlink web interface), which all works fine. At first I configured the router to function with a Dodo prepaid service (all I had available at the time), this was straight forward as Dodo is listed in the list of ISPs (pre configured).

However, there is no preset option for Exetel in the list when setting up the internet connection. I manually configure the service using phone number *99# & APN exetel1, the status light on the modem & the router indicate that a connection to the WWW has been made, but devices connected to the router will not load web pages etc... (Devices used: MacBook via wifi & ethernet, Mac Mini Server, iPhone).

I have also performed a firmware update on the router that was released only a few weeks ago.

Is there a specific piece of information or a step in the process that I have missed, or is this router incompatible with the Exetel service?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This seemingly simple process has left me somewhat frustrated...

Thanks,
Clinton.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Dlink DIR-412 Exetel HSPA

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:43 pm

What is the wireless broadband plan that you have? Because there are a variety of possible APNs that might work if exetel1 doesn't
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mranderson808

Post by mranderson808 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Pretty sure it is WP2.

Thank you.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Not familiar with that one, but from other forum posts you might as well try a shotgun approach of different APNs including: 'INTERNET', 'internet', or 'connect'

The other thing to try is just connect the Huawei E160 modem directly to a machine and see what APN works. You might find it much more useful to plug it into a Windows machine though. This will install an Optus application which clearly shows you the APN settings, etc; I'm not sure how Macs behave. You can then see if any particular APN works for a direct connection and not in the DLink, in which case, you have a problem, because it points to a modem setting or behaviour that will be hard to pinpoint. But if none of the APNs work, even in a direct connection, then you should call Exetel support or email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to see what the settings should be for your SIM or if there is a problem with its activation.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au