Add AP to improve WiFi coverage

Wired and wireless home networking
dbr

Add AP to improve WiFi coverage

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi there gurus,

I have a dead spot in my house in my WiFi coverage. Unfortunately this coincides as the room in which SWMBO mostly wants her laptop to connect. Therefore WAF has become downright 'naggy'. I have tried a few things to no avail.

Primary router is a Billion 7404VGP-M. It is upstairs in the study where the phone comes in and my PC, NAS, Server, UPS , Phone base stations and printer live. There is a CAT5 cable running from the 7404 to the room in question which the Media Player uses to access the NAS etc.

I've tried a higher gain antenna. I changed the position of the router and swiveled the antenna so the main propagation 'donut' is in the direction of the dodgy room (through a wall and floor space). Can I position the antenna on a longer cable or is there degradation of the signal if it is too far from the router?

So I then thought to try another WiFi router at the end of the Ethernet cable and use it to be the WiFi AP. In fact I tried two different ones. They provided great connection via WiFi, but the laptop could not connect to the Internet. They were set to the same subnet range, plugged into one of the LAN ports, no firewalls were active and so on. I went through every configuration permutation I could think of. I followed the several howto guides I found - all similar.

Can anyone think of something I needed to do to make it work?

Main Router: 7404 192.168.1.254 DHCP enabled
1st Second router: TP-Link TL-WR340G 192.168.1.1
2nd Second Router (after 1st one didn't work): Edimax BR-6204Wg 192.168.1.2
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Add AP to improve WiFi coverage

Post by jokiin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:07 pm

I can't recall the exact terminology Billion use but you can set an AP as a repeater to get greater range from your wireless, if just plugging an AP into an Ethernet outlet just set it all to auto/DHCP and it should just work unless you've got something misconfigured there

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm not trying to use it as a repeater / extender for the WiFi. I want the AP downstairs to manage the WiFi. It is cabled to the router upstairs which handles everything else. Can't seem to work it out though. I don't know if it is incompatibility with the different branded kit but would imagine it should be pretty basic functionality.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:31 pm

dbr wrote:Yeah that's what I thought. I'm not trying to use it as a repeater / extender for the WiFi. I want the AP downstairs to manage the WiFi. It is cabled to the router upstairs which handles everything else. Can't seem to work it out though. I don't know if it is incompatibility with the different branded kit but would imagine it should be pretty basic functionality.
double check your settings on the AP, perhaps disable any security you have set on the AP while you are testing also, any AP plugged into the Billion should just work unless you have some type of restriction/cabling issue or similar

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 pm

What you need is a Wireless Access Point (WAP) not another router. The problem is likely that the second router is trying to direct Internet traffic out its WAN port which isn't connected.

Get something like a NETGEAR WG602 54 Mbps Wireless Access Point or D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-2100AP

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:25 pm

One thing to try with your existing second routers:

Check that the DHCP settings on the second routers has the default gateway set to the IP address of your first router. If it is set to the default (0.0.0.0) then your packets won't be going out the right port.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks guys. I tried your suggestions. There is no security or filtering on any of the devices. DHCP is disabled on the AP.

I can see the LAN and shared folders of a PC on the router from a PC connected to the AP but it can't access the Internet.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:33 am

dsc68 wrote:What you need is a Wireless Access Point (WAP) not another router. The problem is likely that the second router is trying to direct Internet traffic out its WAN port which isn't connected.
most wireless routers can be configured to work just as an AP, guessing it's just not setup right though