Need assistance to configure 3G Router

Wired and wireless home networking
Wazzaf

Need assistance to configure 3G Router

Post by Wazzaf » Wed May 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Hello Friends

I am deep in unfamiliar territory and need some help.

I use a Huawei 1762 modem to connect to my Exetel Mobile Broadband Plan WI D.

Has been working fine for a long time but then i wanted to venture down the path of sharing the connection via a 3G Router.

I purchased a TP-Link MR3220 3G router and just cannot get there to connect to HSPA. If I plug the Huawei 1762 directly into my laptop I have no issues connecting to the Internet. If I try through the 3G Router i get a connection to the Router Ok but no internet. I am running Windows 7 and the Windows Network Diagnostics report says " The DNS Server isnt responding ..... Detected.... then a triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

In the Router config I have used AP as Exetel1 and my Exetel HSPA UserID and password to connect and as best as I can tell I get a connection. (how do I tell if there is a connection?)

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Need assistance to configure 3G Router

Post by Dazzled » Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 pm

What does the status page say in the 3G section? It should recognise the modem model, signal strength, DNS address, IP address.

Also ping 192.168.1.1 just to confirm that the computer knows the router is there (that's what ok meant?). In the router, under DHCP settings check that the device is a server, and you should see your computer in the client list.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Wazzaf wrote:
In the Router config I have used AP as Exetel1 and my Exetel HSPA UserID and password to connect and as best as I can tell I get a connection. (how do I tell if there is a connection?)

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers
you only need the APN set, the user name and password should be blank

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Thu May 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks Dazzled and Jokiin

Ok this is where I am now

Status on Modem after i deleted my user name and password

Under 3g tab

3G USB Modem......E1762
Signal Strength.....35%
IP......115.70.xx.xxx (not sure if I should show my IP in full here)
DNS Server..........10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14

When I Ping 192.168.1.1

4 packets sent 4 packets received Minimum 1 ms Maximum 5 ms Average 2 ms

Under DHCP Tab

DHCP Settings.. DHCP Server (Radio buttion is on enable)

Under DPHCP Clients List

ID 1 Client Name = Wazza PC

Assigned IP......192.168.1.100
Lease time .....01:37:03

Under Network Tab 3G

Location.. Australia (greyed out)
Mobile ISP.... Optus (greyed out)
Dial No...*99#
APN...Exetel1

Shows as connected

Still no Internet either on my laptop or another that I tried.

BTW I updated the firmware on the Router to the latest available after doing to factory reset .

Not sure where to go next!!! HELP

Cheers

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu May 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Assuming your computer lives at 192.168.1.100, the router part works. But that's an invalid default DNS, so you haven't contacted Exetel. I wonder about the APN; which 3G plan are you using?
Edit: Actually you have an IP.

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Thu May 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Dazzled

My plan is WI D which is the old 5 gb plan at $37.50 per month. Where I get Exetel1 from is the APN that is used on the E1762 modem

Is this sufficient explanation

Cheers

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 am

Wazzaf wrote:Hi Dazzled

My plan is WI D which is the old 5 gb plan at $37.50 per month. Where I get Exetel1 from is the APN that is used on the E1762 modem

Is this sufficient explanation

Cheers
all letters of the APN should be in lower case 'exetel1'

If that fails... please log a service issue with us according to instructions in my signature below.

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Fri May 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Thank you Thejeg

No luck , i changed the APN to exetel1 (all in lower case)

Status remains the same, I can talk with the Modem but do not have Internet access. Sorry, cannot offer a better explanation.

Shall log a service issue as you say

Thanks to all for your help. I love lifes little mysteries than come my way. keeps my ancient brain cogs from seizing up.

Cheers

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri May 06, 2011 6:06 pm

did you setup a new profile or just edit one of the existing profiles offered by the modem?

I have an MR3420, not the exact same model but I would think close enough from a troubleshooting perspective, I don't have it with me right now but will be able to have a look at it Monday if you are still stuck, in the mean time if you haven't done so already try setting the modem up from scratch

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm perplexed, Wazzaf, but... Are you using auto-detect? What happens if you use the manual entry method on pp 28, 30 of the user manual, where you can force DNS if the invalid ones appear? Does the TP-Link system log have anything meaningful to say?

Wazzaf

Post by Wazzaf » Sun May 08, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks Jokiin, I actually did a full factory reset then updated the firmware again and re-entered all the config. Sadly it did not change anything.

A huge thanks to you Dazzled, when i ticked the checkbox to "Use the following DNS Servers" and added 220.233.0.4 as Primary and 220.233.0.3 as Secondary , voila I had intenet access. ( I assume I am using the correct IP's".)

Doesnt make sense does it? but at least it is a workaround that has worked a a day / plus so I think I will leave the Router with this config for now unless you think otherwise.

Again thanks to you both, Cheers.

BTW is there any way that I am getting "Premium" service from Optus. We are in Ararat and I can see the Tower from the window but the connection is nothing startling . Speed test was line speed is 370 kbps and download is 46 Kb/s. I know there are a lot of variables but I dont feel confident that I am getting full value.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 am

Wazzaf wrote:Thanks Jokiin, I actually did a full factory reset then updated the firmware again and re-entered all the config. Sadly it did not change anything.
sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear, I meant were you setting the profile up fresh or choosing an existing one from the drop down list (like the Optus one maybe) and just editing the APN, was trying to think why it would be applying the incorrect DNS details, anyway not to worry I see you worked it out

regarding your speeds, what sort of signal strength is the modem displaying?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Further to Jokiin's post, if you want to get a more detailed connection strength than the bars display, on Windows you'll need to set up a hyperterminal, http://www.auzzie.net/files/3G-modem-te ... rength.pdf. The necessary modem command is: AT+CSQ . The response will be Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI), Bit Error rate (99=not known)

To convert RSSI to bars:
26-31 5 bars
20-25 4 bars
14-19 3 bars (average)
8-13 2 bars
2-7 1 bar

dBM = (RSSI * 2) - 113, where 0 dBm equals a received signal of 1 milliWatt. Negative values fall logarithmically from that, so weak signals are weak indeed.

You may find that aiming in different directions improves RSSI. If you can see the tower it might be worth moving the modem to a place near the window sill - you can use a USB extension cord from the router. Using the laptop might be the easiest way to find the optimum location.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 am

Wazzaf wrote:BTW is there any way that I am getting "Premium" service from Optus. We are in Ararat and I can see the Tower from the window but the connection is nothing startling . Speed test was line speed is 370 kbps and download is 46 Kb/s. I know there are a lot of variables but I dont feel confident that I am getting full value.
Even though you see a tower doesn't necessarily mean that you will be connected to that tower.

According to Optus Availability checker following is the outcome for your address

Optus Wireless Telephony Congratulations you are serviceable for Optus Wireless Telephony at this address. Please call 1800 400 400 to find out what offers are available.
Optus Wireless Broadband Congratulations you are serviceable for Optus Wireless Broadband at this address. Please call 1800 400 400 to find out what offers are available.
Optus Wireless Fusion Congratulations you are serviceable for Optus Wireless Fusion at this address. Please call 1800 400 400 to find out what offers are available.

Service Details
PNSA 03MELBOURNE
Frequency 2100 MHz

As Dazzled suggested you may aim in different directions to improve the connection.